quade

Goodbye Mr. Cain. It was fun while it lasted.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-cain-temper-debate-20111106,0,2821598.story

Oh dear. He's done now. The one thing you absolutely can not do as a candidate is demand the press not even try to talk about the story. By doing this, he's sealed his fate. They will now dig into him until he simply quits or they find out what he's really hiding.

This isn't opinion . . . it's history.

As is frequently the case both in politics and elsewhere, the first one to lose their cool, is the one that loses.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'll give it to you, his dealings with the press up to this point have been less than presidential. Yes, Cain is no Slick Willy Clinton when it comes to handling the press. He is a business man, not a politician.

But I would wait for a while before writing him off. Just because a liberal paper wants to see him gone doesn't mean he is toast quite yet. His message is the economy and jobs. It's the message that is most important to Americans, and there is still a long way to go to the election.

Still, I can't blame him for being pissed. Only the liberal media would focus on anonymous, un-named sources. The only details that we know are the ones that Cain released. I still believe that the media would have given Obama a pass on this until names, dates, and details were released, and then the story would have been buried on page 17 of the local papers. I give it maybe a 50-50 chance of making on to the nightly news.

Some advise I would think about giving Herman Cain would be let the women come out from their confidentiality agreements so the story could be told and the details could be deputed, but the liberal media wouldn't care about the truth anyway. They would give the women a ticker-tape parade and hail them as conquering hero's on the way to their initial press conference, anything they said would be the gospel truth, followed by a democratic victory rally afterwards.

At this point, the only reason they may be coming forward is because Cain is running for President and they are thinking they might be able to get more Hush-money out of the deal. Because the case is sealed, we might not ever know. Only time will tell.

Either way, I think it's time to take another look at some long forgotten documents: Journalism Ethics and Standards-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journalism_ethics_and_standards
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

No, there's absolutely no way the press (which includes outlets like Fox News and the NY Daily News) would have given Obama a pass on this.

OTOH, I'd really, really like to know the whole story. I'm perfectly willing to believe that a settlement doesn't mean that there's guilt involved -- settlements can also happen because it's cheaper than going to court, regardless.

Many moons ago I was a skydiving instructor; I had a student in my class who seemed to do OK in class. When it came time to jump, I wasn't the JM, but such is life. That particular load landed off (winds were changing, and this was in teh days of rounds, so landing off was not uncommon).

Every other student on the load, and in the class, landed just fine. She corkscrewed her canopy into the ground, and hurt her back. Not paralyzed, but plenty of pain, hospital, helicopter -- the works.

Eventually she sued (yes, everyone his kid brother and his dog was included in the lawsuit), and USPA settled after taking all of the depositions. It pissed me off at the time, but I'm sure their insurance company decided that the settlement amount (dunno what it was) was less than the potential legal costs.

I know I taught her as well as I taught everyone else. She was my only serious injury in about 5 years of active teaching; my only other broken bone was someone who broke her ankle off the PLF platform.

So yeah, I'm perfectly willing to believe that Cain didn't do anything. One of the people has asked to have her non-disclosure agreement lifted, and it'd be interesting to see details.

OTOH, losing his temper at reporters just doesn't work. Think of how bad it'll be with reporters and congresspeople if he were to become President.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

it had/has to be one thing or the other....does anyone REALLY believe that the right-wing in this country would elect a black President? really?

Not a hope in hell of that happening IMO, so does not matter what the 'scandal is', he is/was done for anyway. But I am glad to see all the turmoil anyway.

Now the choices of Romney and Perry - all good for the lefties....

I believe they WOULD elect a black candidate and also a woman candidate.

I don't think it would be Mr Cain. The thing that would bother me about him in regards to the latest news is that after one incident, if true, he had perhaps several more incidents. That would only happen to me once, I would never be in position for another false accusation to be made against me.

it had/has to be one thing or the other....does anyone REALLY believe that the right-wing in this country would elect a black President? really?

Not a hope in hell of that happening IMO, so does not matter what the 'scandal is', he is/was done for anyway. But I am glad to see all the turmoil anyway.

Now the choices of Romney and Perry - all good for the lefties....

They would elect Cain
You biggotry is getting the best of you

As for sticking by him

He raised 2 million last week

He raised 2.2 million the month before

And I can see why you like Perry or Romney

You demostrate the very reason Cain is doing so well

I watch Paul on FOX this weekend too

He is a nut case IMO
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I believe they WOULD elect a black candidate and also a woman candidate.

I don't think it would be Mr Cain. The thing that would bother me about him in regards to the latest news is that after one incident, if true, he had perhaps several more incidents. That would only happen to me once, I would never be in position for another false accusation to be made against me.

As I stated before

If the charges are true, he could change his party to Dem and get elected thay way

How many accusers did Clinton have?
Abraham Lincoln

He is a nut case IMO

I don't entirely disagree with you, but I'm curious as to the specifics behind the reason for you believing that Ron Paul is a nut.

I used to think he was a total nutcase, but that opinion has lessened in the past few months.
--
Rob

He is a nut case IMO

I don't entirely disagree with you, but I'm curious as to the specifics behind the reason for you believing that Ron Paul is a nut.

I used to think he was a total nutcase, but that opinion has lessened in the past few months.

His domestic positions I am in full agreement. His military positions bother me

Now, I do not think he is a nut because of his positions. I watched him and thought he came across as a nut

But that could just be me
Abraham Lincoln

I hate that the media are the ones putting Ron Paul on the back burner. He might not have as much money as the other 3 but isnt he the one winning all the straw poles?

Agreed

Any and all should get the oportunities in the media

Unfortunatly I feel the media picks the ones they like and ignore the rest

That is why they are attacking Cain (rightfully or not) ignoring Paul and tooting the horns for Perry and Romney

They hate the alternative media

Cain would be dead already if not for that fact
Abraham Lincoln

The media was AWOL on Jesse Jackson. The media has been silent on plenty of Obama stories as well. No reason to think they wouldn't be silent on a scandal like Cain is facing (but with Obama). Though I will agree, Fox would probably go after any Obama scandal they could substantiate.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

>does anyone REALLY believe that the right-wing in this country would elect a black President?

Yes. There are still racists in both parties, and there tend to be more in republican circles - not because republicans are inherently racist, but because democrats have traditionally been sooner to welcome civil rights for 'new' groups (blacks, gays) than republicans, and that has a small effect on the makeup of the party.

But the people in both parties who are racist are getting old and dying off. The last spectacularly racist senator, Strom Thurmond, died almost 10 years ago. Nowadays people would look at you as if you were crazy if you said something like "Fight for your rights! Don't let the government force Negroes into our churches!" 100 years ago that would have been greeted with "well of course." 50 years ago it would have resulted in a protracted (sometimes violent) argument. 25 years ago it would have outraged most people, with a small minority thinking "someone still gets it." Nowadays it wouldn't even generate a lot of outrage; it would more be laughed at.

So while racism will still be a factor for a while, I think that today it is a small factor. Herman Cain is not unelectable because of his race, although he may indeed be unelectable for other reasons.

>The one thing you absolutely can not do as a candidate is demand the press not
>even try to talk about the story.

In a bit of irony, he tried to use the Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics to demand that the reporter stop asking questions. The first thing on the Code of Ethics? "Seek Truth and Report It." (Unless, apparently, it has to do with him and his past.)

There are some hardcore Republicans that no doubt do not want the black Herman Cain representing them in the next general election. But this is mostly a media fueled frenzy to discredit Mr Cain. The media does not want Cain going up against Obama. Cain is a self made successful businessman. Heck he was even trained as a rocket scientist (or at least a ballistics expert). How many people can say that? No the media has an agenda and they will stop at nothing to fulfill this agenda of theirs. Thanks for stopping by Herman but Hollywood and the mainstream media do not like self made successful people like yourself.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

>does anyone REALLY believe that the right-wing in this country would elect a black President?

Yes. There are still racists in both parties, and there tend to be more in republican circles - not because republicans are inherently racist, but because democrats have traditionally been sooner to welcome civil rights for 'new' groups (blacks, gays) than republicans, and that has a small effect on the makeup of the party.

No way. Dems fought tooth and nail against everything from slavery to letting women vote to civil rights for minorities.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

No way. Dems fought tooth and nail against everything from slavery to letting women vote to civil rights for minorities.

You did not do well in the classes that taught modern history of the last 60 years did you?

Thanks for stopping by Herman but Hollywood and the mainstream media do not like self made successful people like yourself.

Nonsense. Steve Jobs wasn't exactly hated.

Ohhhhhh.... I don't know about that.. I think you can find a significant number of Apple employees past and present who would disagree vehemently with that.... as soon as the adulation phase of mourning such a "great man" ends.. and the real stories start to come out. There are more than just a few families of people who could not live up to Jobs expectations... who wished their loved ones were still alive.

Thanks for stopping by Herman but Hollywood and the mainstream media do not like self made successful people like yourself.

Ohhhhhh.... I don't know about that.. I think you can find a significant number of Apple employees past and present who would disagree vehemently with that.... as soon as the adulation phase of mourning such a "great man" ends.. and the real stories start to come out. There are more than just a few families of people who could not live up to Jobs expectations... who wished their loved ones were still alive.

Be that as it may, the blanket statement that, "Hollywood and the mainstream media do not like self made successful people," is simply wrong.

I could list dozens upon dozens of examples where "Hollywood" has gone to great lengths to promote "self made successful people."

Here, let me link you to a page with just a few of them; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_biographical_films
quade -

Who exactly, according to you, IS acceptable as an inabitant of this planet?

Never knew Jobs was running to be the Grand Poobah of the USA. :ph34r:

A person doesn't have to sit in the Oval Office to be highly influential.
quade -