CanuckInUSA

Fatality at Occupy Vancouver event

Man lots of people are really ripping this girl a new one. Fact is, nobody knows her, or what exactly happened. She could have been completely functional in society, so saying she is useless is your own opinion.
She may have OD'd on methadone, trying to get off of other stuff. You just don't know. So how about showing just a little bit of respect, huh?

No. In this case, respect is to be earned. Your intro to me is "I'm dead due to drug overdose," you start off with no respect, and have to earn it from there.

Do we know she died from a drug overdose? I've not been able to find any news story that confirms cause of death, only speculation. (if you can find one, please link).

Either way, I find it sad that you seem to believe anyone you don't respect deserves to die.[:/]
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Man lots of people are really ripping this girl a new one. Fact is, nobody knows her, or what exactly happened. She could have been completely functional in society, so saying she is useless is your own opinion.
She may have OD'd on methadone, trying to get off of other stuff. You just don't know. So how about showing just a little bit of respect, huh?

No. In this case, respect is to be earned. Your intro to me is "I'm dead due to drug overdose," you start off with no respect, and have to earn it from there.

Do we know she died from a drug overdose? I've not been able to find any news story that confirms cause of death, only speculation. (if you can find one, please link).

Either way, I find it sad that you seem to believe anyone you don't respect deserves to die.[:/]

Ya, alot like those who said similar things about Cheney and Bush huh........
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Do we know she died from a drug overdose?

I would imagine an autopsy will be performed today or tomorrow but when would the results be made public via the media is anyone's guess. The squatters do not want the results to show she died of an overdose because they will lose what little support they have and of course the counter-protesters do want the results to show she did die of an overdose because that adds fuel to their arguments that these squatters are up to no good. Either way a young woman died this weekend, a weekend that was supposed to be fun for her (she had only planned on attending the protest for the weekend then was heading back to her home in Victoria). She likely was not one of the real world "Dawn of the Dead" druggies of Vancouver's East Side. To see a sample of one of these real world zombies, click here. :o

Speaking of the media, this whole "Occupy" movement is media driven. The original "Occupy Wall Street" was likely still the largest gathering and even that, what was it a couple thousand people? More people congregated at your [insert your favorite high school football stadium here] to watch some football playoffs this weekend than showed up for their local "Occupy" protest. In my city of Calgary Alberta (home to over one million people) there are maybe 100 occupy squatters. So 0.0001% of the population is not happy. The media are blood thirsty parasites. They would throw their own mothers overboard into the shark infested water and then begin to chum the water if it meant engineering yet another story for them to cover.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Really, I suggest you go re-read the Constitution.

Hell, I'll quote the relevant part for you here.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I even bolded the important bit for you, and I'll put it here again in caps "CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW..."

Is that clear enough for you? [B]CONGRESS[/B] shall make no law forbidding the freedom of expression. As an employee you represent your employer, and he or she has the right to determine (to an extent, protected classes are excluded) what image they want to present to the public.

For some reason, correct or otherwise, society has deemed that those who have extensive body modifications, especially modifications of the public areas of the body such as the face, neck, and hands, are "different" and some may even be reply]

Wow I must have missed that memo. Several of my employees have piercings. The customers really don't seem to be afraid of them. Perhaps you are projecting
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

To see a sample of one of these real world zombies, click here.

You see a zombie, I see a soul in the torment of living hell.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Smoking weed is not that big of a deal. It's really no worse than drinking alcohol. Smoking too much weed day in day out for years on end can do damage to you, but drinking too much alcohol can do even more harm. So while smoking weed is not that big of a deal, doing harder drugs is a big deal and these people did this to themselves. I know plenty of people who fucked themselves up on cocaine and then went on to abuse even more harmful drugs. But it was their choice.

I am waiting to see if this girl died because she chose to inject drugs into her bloodstream or perhaps it was something less sinister. Perhaps she ODed on ecstasy? It's not like ecstasy hasn't killed people before. Either way she chose to do this to herself. I feel sorry for her family, but sorry for not being politically correct here, I do not feel sorry for her if she did indeed overdose on drugs. :P

Must be nice to be as faultless as you.

"Oh lord it's hard to be humble
When you're perfect in every way,
I cain't wait to look in the mirror,
cuz I get better looking, each day"

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Really, I suggest you go re-read the Constitution.

Hell, I'll quote the relevant part for you here.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I even bolded the important bit for you, and I'll put it here again in caps "CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW..."

Is that clear enough for you? [B]CONGRESS[/B] shall make no law forbidding the freedom of expression. As an employee you represent your employer, and he or she has the right to determine (to an extent, protected classes are excluded) what image they want to present to the public.

For some reason, correct or otherwise, society has deemed that those who have extensive body modifications, especially modifications of the public areas of the body such as the face, neck, and hands, are "different" and some may even be afraid of them. Whether or not these concerns or fears are based on fact is not relevant to the situation, the fact remains that an employer can certainly deny you employment because you have a tattoo on your neck, or a lip ring that you cannot or will not remove.

The Constitution in general, and the Bill of Rights in particular, governs what conduct the government may or may not regulate, it does not concern itself with private matters.

So as I said.. lets quit pretending that American individualism.. is anything more than a farce.. MMMkkk

BAAAAAAAAAAAAA.... now be a good little herd animal and run along... scared of the big bad wolves of your masters of corporate America pulling those wittle strings.

If I'm a business owner, and you, my employee, want to have so many holes in your head you whistle twelve different notes in freefall, that's fine. You want to work for me, you will look as professional as I direct you to. "Express yourself" on your time. So take that crap out of your face or find another job.

And stow the faux East German accent. You don't actually know what fascism is, nor will you ever. Be glad for that fact.

Your posts lately sound like a first-semester, trust-funded College freshman who has outsourced his thinking to a Professor who has never really worked in the real world.

I am quite well aware of what fascism looks like... and the current crop of "conservatives" are goose steppin right nicely to that same old jack boot theme.

As far as your other Assumption.... you are completely so far out in right field you miss any and all points.

And your posts sound like... ooops cant say that because BillVon would ban me yet again for telling it like it really is.

Even by SC standards I'm surprised by the absolute lack of compassion in this thread.

It seems to be human nature to look for other people's faults that make us feel better about ourselves. Drug addicts provide that service for a lot of people.

Me? I look at self-righteous assholes and think, "Well, at least I'm not a self-righteous asshole." :P

Would you have compassion for someone who had cancer?

A person who smoked 3 packs a day for 30 years, knowing that they were gambling with lung cancer? Not one ounce of compassion. They chose their fate.

A person who got leukemia/breast cancer becuase of a genetic quirk? Completely compassionate towards that.

Even by SC standards I'm surprised by the absolute lack of compassion in this thread.

I am not surprised at all coming from the minds of those who have none to show.

Certain people blither on and on about individualism.. as long as everyone around them looks and sounds like certain fringe right minds demand everyone look and act like.. to be thought of as actually a human being.. "who matters"

A person who smoked 3 packs a day for 30 years, knowing that they were gambling with lung cancer? Not one ounce of compassion. They chose their fate.

A person who got leukemia/breast cancer becuase of a genetic quirk? Completely compassionate towards that.

And so do you first ask if the Cancer sufferer has maintained a healthy weight throughout their life? What if they're overweight? Obese? Ate bacon every morning? Were of a good weight but ate a poor diet? Do you ask if they ate that diet out of poverty or choice? If poverty do you ask if they worked hard at school? Just where are the limits and boundaries upon which you judge the worth of another's life before you deign to dissolve your ego and bestow compassion upon them?

Without compassion you will never have peace in your life or those around you.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Of course I have compassion for people who are battling cancer. My late father (who I was not all that close to since he divorced my mother soon after I was born) died a few years ago after a nasty battle with throat cancer and my uncle retired a few years ago and within months of retiring came down with brain cancer and lost his battle. I never saw him on his death bed, but I was told it was not pretty. Cancer is a horrible thing and I would much rather have someone take a sledgehammer to my skull than to go through what my father and uncle went through. However, don't you think we should stick to apples-and-apples comparisons here. That orange you have inserted into the conversation isn't really an orange it is a rather sour lemon.

I have never injected drugs into my bloodstream (nor will I ever), and I am clean now (I could actually pass any piss/blood test you want to give me) but I have plenty of personal experience with soft and some not so soft drugs. You may think I have a hard stance against drugs right now, but my hard stance is based on personal experience as well as seeing others around me totally mess themselves up. I am sorry, but I have little sympathy for people who abuse themselves with drugs. They did this to themselves. I do however offer sympathy to the family of this girl.

>I am waiting to see if this girl died because she chose to inject drugs into her bloodstream . . .

I blame Obama.

Come on Bill you can do better than that. If you knew anything about Canada you would know that it was Harper's fault. Do you people even know who Harper is? I know Canada is a "mean nothing just ignore them" kind of country to the USA. If you want to talk about Obama not honoring the existing trade agreements with his trading partners, then yes it will be Obama's fault. But the default person to blame in Canada right now is Harper. ;)

And so do you first ask if the Cancer sufferer has maintained a healthy weight throughout their life? What if they're overweight? Obese? Ate bacon every morning? Were of a good weight but ate a poor diet? Do you ask if they ate that diet out of poverty or choice? If poverty do you ask if they worked hard at school? Just where are the limits and boundaries upon which you judge the worth of another's life before you deign to dissolve your ego and bestow compassion upon them?

Without compassion you will never have peace in your life or those around you.

And them damned 'action' sports folk - how dare they be so selfish and take up space in our hospitals? ... Some folks can't see further than the plank in their own eye[:/]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

is just lip service

The gal had lip service - look at the hole she had put there.

Note that Freedom of Expression is a fine thing. Note that the government apparently did nothing to force this gal to present herself as somebody who has an active interest in participating in mainstream society. Rather, she shows that she is part of the one percent who has pieces of metal stuck in her face to express something.

What was she expressing? I don’t particularly have a problem with anybody doing whatever the hell they want to do with themselves. Want to get a face tattoo? Fine! But don’t expect society to yield to you. You’ve demonstrated that you lack the ability to tolerate the status quo of society and chose to draw attention to yourself. I credit those who choose to separate themselves from the mindless masses who operate anonymously in this world. And like anything, they are free to make their choices and accept the consequences of their actions.

She had the right to express herself. She did express herself. Nobody stopped her. And I have the right to express my concerns that she is setting herself up for failure in a society that views such an expression with disdain. We have OUR freedom of expression, too. It turns out that success in this society has much to do with personal appearance.

Also note: I don’t hand out spare change to anybody that has metal in their faces. If you’ve got a couple hundred dollars worth of precious metals in your face, then I think that you can hawk it. Don’t ask me for change when your face has more resale value than my business suit. Perhaps if you spent a less money on facial metal, hair coloring, tattoos and mind altering chemicals you would not only have more money for food and rent, but you could land a better job that paid you more money.

Facial body modification is like ice buildup on a plane. It’s the gift that keeps on giving. Ice on a plane affects weight, lift, thrust and drag. Messing with the face blows money doing it and affects the ability to earn more money UNLESS the line of business is in an industry that pays for such modifications.

Also note: she had enough bread to get a fix. Unfortunately, this death will further reinforce the stereotype that the movement is more about a group of people who want others to pay for their lifestyles. And also the stereotype that the aforementioned are buttressed by people going out to get fucked up and party.

lets quit pretending that American individualism.. is anything more than a farce

Wanting to be an “individual” but supported by society is as fucking ridiculous as it gets. If you want to be an individual, then be an individual. Individuals are content with withdrawing from society. But to be an individual and also want to ensure that others accept you is inapposite. Giving the finger to society doesn’t often result in a societal pat-on-the-back.

We’ve got a slew of people in this country and world who want the benefits of individualism without the costs of individualism. They want the benefits of society without the costs of society. That’s called “greed” and “selfishness.” This is no different from the skydiver who drops two grand per month on jumps and equipment but has no health insurance because he “couldn’t afford it.” That person can go fuck himself, in my opinion. I’m not paying for his healthcare so he can pay for his fun, especially in an activity where the risk of serious injury is so in-you-face apparent. No, I have ZERO compassion for people who do harm to themselves and want others to chip in. A true individual sucks up the consequences of his or her actions.

Re: compassion. Having seen a loved one take zero care of himself and put himself on the one-way fast track to early death, I cannot help but say that I lack compassion for that. It’s a rather interesting thing that my wife told me she had no idea how to support me when my dad died. It was simple – he was dead ten years before. Which was going to kill him first? The smoking? The drinking? The uppers? The diabetes? The obesity? I spent a decade trying to help and nothing worked. I chose not to watch it happen. Let’s say it’s the way I coped.

Perhaps watching my dad destroy himself destroyed what compassion I have for those who destroy themselves. To his credit and discredit it forced me to man up at a much earlier age. Sure, I lost a significant part of my youth being there for my brothers. I guess I was so busy directing compassion to brothers that I just didn’t have any left over for my dad.

This young lady probably OD’d. I have very little problem showing a person an amount of respect equal to the level of respect the person shows for him or herself. She did not seem to respect herself enough to not OD. Why the heck should I show her more respect and compassion than she showed herself. Her family is deserving of compassion. Her loved ones. But I also cannot help but think that the culture of tolerance and compassion is the sort of hardcore enabling that allowed this woman to off herself.

I hope she didn’t have kids. If she did, then you'll find zero shred of compassion or respect for her.

My wife is hotter than your wife.