stevebabin

A religious leader for President?

Would you vote for a religious leader for President? (I mean a Preacher/Rabbi/Imam, etc...)
Why or why not?
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

Would you vote for a religious leader for President? (I mean a Preacher/Rabbi/Imam, etc...)
Why or why not?

That is very wide open

Can you narrow it down a bit?

But as an overall statement or comment, being a religious leader would not necessariy move to vote for or against one

But there are too many varialbles
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Why or why not?

That is very wide open

But as an overall statement or comment, being a religious leader would not necessariy move to vote for or against one

It's my intent for the question to be pretty broad. Your answer works fine for me...Thanks for responding!
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."

Do you mean like the Rev Jesse Jackson?

I wouldn't vote for him, but if the candidate was otherwise qualified, and I agreed with him (or her) on the majority of the issues and I believed that his/her faith wouldn't turn into bigotry against those of differing beliefs, or use that faith to oppress/discriminate against others (like gays) then I would certainly consider it very seriously.

I wouldn't consider being a religious leader an automatic disqualification, although there are certain religious leaders that I would never vote for because I don't think they would accept those that believe differently as equals.
Pat Robertson is at the top of that list.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Why or why not?

That is very wide open

It's my intent for the question to be pretty broad. Your answer works fine for me...Thanks for responding!

Hmm

Didn't we sort of do that with the last guy, I mean he did say he had a direct line to GOD who was telling him to go after all the evil doers.... and that turned out SOOOOO well for this country.

I guess evil doing in the name of GOD... is okie dokie for them though.

Hmm

Didn't we sort of do that with the last guy

Yes, y'all did:

"But for reasons I can’t fully articulate, he is one of those individuals who communicates God-like energy (metaphorically speaking), in whom you can “feel” God."

"So, Geraldine, I’m taking a special look at Barack Obama because he’s a lot closer to a Jesus-type than the other candidates, by quite a bit. What if God decided to incarnate as men preaching “hope and change.”

"This is bigger than Kennedy. [Obama] comes along, and he seems to have the answers. This is the New Testament. "

“I think that Obama, his election to the Senate, was divinely ordered,” Mr. Rush said, all other explanations failing. “I’m a preacher and a pastor; I know that that was God’s plan. Obama has certain qualities that — I think he is being used for some purpose. I really believe that.”
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'd prefer someone who knew how to run a business that actually produces something.

I can see the appeal in saying this.

A country is not a business, however. The goal of a business (most of them anyway) is to maximize profit. Running a country like that is a recipe for disaster IMO.
Remster

Why or why not?

I've never based my vote on religious affiliation...

I look for a balanced candidate that can speak for all people...

I would even vote for an athiest if they were level headed...someone like BV, Winsor, or even Jakee...

I would never vote for people like you Steve...or like Jclalor,Tkhayes, or Broken...

You guys have clearly shown your bias and seem to have adopted an ideology very similar to anti-revisionism...History has already taught us to stay away from people like you...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Why or why not?

I would even vote for an athiest if they were level headed...someone like BV, Winsor, or even Jakee...

I would never vote for people like you Steve...or like Jclalor,Tkhayes, or Broken...

You guys have clearly shown your bias and seem to have adopted an ideology very similar to anti-revisionism...History has already taught us to stay away from people like you...

I'd never run for any office, and if I did you'd be smart not to vote for me.
Likewise, you'd not get my vote. Can you guess why?;)

Why or why not?

becuase you lack the mental capacity to understand that my religious beliefs are my own and should not be forced onto anybody else?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Why or why not?

becuase you lack the mental capacity to understand that my religious beliefs are my own and should not be forced onto anybody else?

Nope...that's not it.

I'd prefer someone who knew how to run a business that actually produces something.

A country is not a business, however. The goal of a business (most of them anyway) is to maximize profit. Running a country like that is a recipe for disaster IMO.

I generally agree with this sentiment, but many of the traits of successful business leaders would lend themselves well to being President.

I generally agree with this sentiment, but many of the traits of successful business leaders would lend themselves well to being President.

Um yeah.... but a whole lot of fucknuggets elected a failure as a business man to the highest elected office in the land.

Past performance MIGHT have been a fucking clue of how that was going to turn out:S:S:S:S

No. I'd be too afraid of what what they might try to do. Leader is the thing that worries me. To be a religious leader appears to require adhering to pretty hard line religiously driven policy.

If we could be assured their religion would be limited to their personal life; and their leading of the country driven by secular policy - that'd be cool.

But I think it is unrealistic to expect someone that has risen to the upper level leadership ranks of any religion would leave their religion at the door when working on matters of state.

Reagan and Bush already gave us a little taste of what leaders who believe in invisible friends might be like (and they were not even in leadership positions in their religion). Robertson and his type would be way over the top. Textbook stickers propogating ignorance in science would look mild compared to what someone like that might do.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Why or why not?

I would not care a bit about a person's religion, just that their policy would not be influenced by their religious beliefs.

Jesus never ran for political office and even distanced himself from such authority, so this behavior is inappropriate for anyone who wants to emulate him. Of course not all self-proclaimed Christians want to emulate Jesus.

As for religion in general, I wouldn't vote for anyone who publicly advertised these, because religion is a private, personal matter. Anyone who expects to gain popularity this way has a perverted motive. OTOH, I wouln't disqualify a candidate solely on his personal beliefs; I wouldn't expect an apology from one who had a record of attending a church/mosque/temple.

A business has the luxury of firing its weaker members (the elderly/sick/disabled/etc) the moment they get to be more trouble than they're worth. A country--much like a church/synagogue/mosque--doesn't have that "privilege".

Running a country is definitely a tougher job than running a business.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

I think to be a good religious leader you need to confuse people. Make it seem like they need you to translate Gods word for them.

I've never understood any of the sermons I've seen on TV.

I personally would rather have an atheist for President.

That being said I'd take a snake handling freak over Barak Obama any day of the week.