skydude2000

Texas Whipping?

Proverbs 23:13 ESV:

"Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die."

While I know there is no one in SC who condones this this kind of behaivor, I wonder why some here condone a God that does.

It has always struck me as odd, that when the majority of sane people have an intrinsic value of right and wrong, are then all to willing to gloss over the cruelty that their God relishes in.

LOL.. Funny to see the Bible being blamed instead of the Koran for once.

There is no justification for this kind of abuse.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

"Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die."

While I know there is no one in SC who condones this this kind of behaivor, I wonder why some here condone a God that does.

It has always struck me as odd, that when the majority of sane people have an intrinsic value of right and wrong, are then all to willing to gloss over the cruelty that their God relishes in.

There is no justification for this kind of abuse.

If he really wanted to punish her, he could've just taken away her computer for a week or two.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

Ya, apparently there are numb skulls on both sides of the fence that lack the mental capacity to distinguish between discipline and abuse...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/11/texas-judge-caught-whipping-daughter-on-video-steps-aside.html

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Personally, I think it's kinda sick. This is 2011, not 1950.

Thoughts?

Sorry if this is a repost.

Proverbs 13:
24 He who spares his rod hates his son,
But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

The belt was doubled over making it louder on the video. I don't think he should have used profanity towards her. That was in bad taste.

It is difficult to stand still when being whipped with a belt. My father made me do it and it was tough. However, whippings by the school principals were a breeze after that.

Bottom line, bad decisions lead to unwanted, painful consequences, a lesson worth the learning.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Proverbs 13:

The belt was doubled over making it louder on the video. I don't think he should have used profanity towards her. That was in bad taste.

It is difficult to stand still when being whipped with a belt. My father made me do it and it was tough. However, whippings by the school principals were a breeze after that.

Bottom line, bad decisions lead to unwanted, painful consequences, a lesson worth the learning.

It's tough to learn much, but I suppose easy to stay still, when you're beaten to death, but I suppose it's OK if it is done to follow the bible [as preached by No Greater Joy Ministries, a Fundamentalist Christian organization}. Seven years old, and her parents whipped her for hours because she mispronounced a word.

Spare the rod indeed...

Don

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/11/texas-judge-caught-whipping-daughter-on-video-steps-aside.html

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Personally, I think it's kinda sick. This is 2011, not 1950.

Thoughts?

Proverbs 13:

I'd be happy to represent someone suing a Bible-Thumping parent who beat their kid under color of their flavor of affinity for the Invisible Man in the Sky, to get my client Sole Legal Custody.

Those who beat their kid and use God as a justification/defense are just as loathsome as those who use prayer instead of medical treatment and watch their kids die.

Not so fast...I too don't think the punishment fits the crime but there are most definitley some strange circumstances here.

When her parents divorced she chose to live with Daddy.

Daddy was paying for her to go to school and when he threatened to stop supporting her when she dropped out she told him 'he'd be sorry' or something to that effect.

Why did she wait 6 years?

I was beat with a belt as a child. Meh.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

It's tough to learn much, but I suppose easy to stay still, when you're beaten to death, but I suppose it's OK if it is done to follow the bible [as preached by No Greater Joy Ministries, a Fundamentalist Christian organization}

OK? What do you mean ok? The guy's serving two life sentences for 2nd degree murder.

I don't recall Christ teaching to have your children beaten for hours to the point of death or subjected to verbal and emotional abuse while threatening to hit them "in the fucking face" if they don't "get on their god damned stomach."

Just curious...honest question. Are you also one of those who blame movies, video games and music as reasons for why people commit acts of violence and murder?

It's tough to learn much, but I suppose easy to stay still, when you're beaten to death, but I suppose it's OK if it is done to follow the bible [as preached by No Greater Joy Ministries, a Fundamentalist Christian organization}

OK? What do you mean ok? The guy's serving two life sentences for 2nd degree murder.

I don't recall Christ teaching to have your children beaten for hours to the point of death or subjected to verbal and emotional abuse while threatening to hit them "in the fucking face" if they don't "get on their god damned stomach."

Just curious...honest question. Are you also one of those who blame movies, video games and music as reasons for why people commit acts of violence and murder?

Nah.. I think many of them learned all the violence they visit on others in their life.... right there in their good christrian homes with fathers not sparing the rod on their children or their wives either.

I'd be happy to represent someone suing a Bible-Thumping parent who beat their kid

Does the state recognize the following guidelines (or something similar) to distinguish a difference between physical abuse and physical discipline?

Physical abuse vs. Discipline
In physical abuse, unlike physical forms of discipline, the following elements are present:

Unpredictability. The child never knows what is going to set the parent off. There are no clear boundaries or rules. The child is constantly walking on eggshells, never sure what behavior will trigger a physical assault.

Lashing out in anger. Physically abusive parents act out of anger and the desire to assert control, not the motivation to lovingly teach the child. The angrier the parent, the more intense the abuse.

Using fear to control behavior. Parents who are physically abusive may believe that their children need to fear them in order to behave, so they use physical abuse to “keep their child in line.” However, what children are really learning is how to avoid being hit, not how to behave or grow as individuals.

http://helpguide.org/mental/child_abuse_physical_emotional_sexual_neglect.htm#types

Would you be happy to sue abusive atheist parents, or don't you care about those children? Is it only worth your time if you get to hang a few christian parents regardless of the severity?

...or maybe it's not about that, or the children, or the severity of the case, but rather how much cash someone's willing to cough up?

Thoughts?

Proverbs 13:

Sorry Ron, I just want to make sure I'm understanding you're post correctly. Are you saying that the swearing was wrong but the beating with the belt was acceptable?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Sorry Ron, I just want to make sure I'm understanding you're post correctly. Are you saying that the swearing was wrong but the beating with the belt was acceptable?

There was a heavy dose of tongue-in-cheek sarcasm in my post. However, in that specific video, yes, the profanity used against the adolescent was worse than the spanking with the belt.

As a trained observer, the father and the mother were more verbally abusive than physical. My opinion is based on the length of wails from the daughter. As soon as the parents left the room she was fine, no sobbing. She didn't even rub the places where she was struck.

This is another instance of American liberals making a big deal over nothing. Bring on the attorneys, destroy parental authority and establish more legislation prohibiting people from feeling bad.

In other words, it is the wussification of America.

He is or was a judge. Six years ago he was a conservative with professional ambition. He caught his daughter stealing from the internet and issued a justifiable parental order to cease and desist. She deliberately disobeyed him.

Imagine the flack he would have received from his opponents if she had continued her deceptive thievery and was caught later on when it was financially significant to her victims.

Take a wide leather belt and double it. Then smack it against something. It will make a loud noise and has a scary effect.

If you want to beat someone, you wrap the free end around your hand and use the buckle end to deliver the blow.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Bring on the attorneys, destroy parental authority and establish more legislation prohibiting people from feeling bad.

Yes, there seems to be this ever increasing idea that you're to be a pushover type of friend toward your child, not a parent. Discipline is supposed to be fun and easy...just like school work and your job.

It even gets to the point where the parents will allow underage drinking in the house and even smoke marijuana with their 16 year old kids...after all, "they're just gonna do it anyway, and I rather them get it from me and learn to be junkies under my roof rather than out in the streets somewhere"

Bring on the attorneys, destroy parental authority and establish more legislation prohibiting people from feeling bad.

Yes, there seems to be this ever increasing idea that you're to be a pushover type of friend toward your child, not a parent. Discipline is supposed to be fun and easy...just like school work and your job.

It even gets to the point where the parents will allow underage drinking in the house and even smoke marijuana with their 16 year old kids...after all, "they're just gonna do it anyway, and I rather them get it from me and learn to be junkies under my roof rather than out in the streets somewhere"

Sad but true.

I sincerely hope for the sake of humanity that neither of you have children.
Beating children is NOT christian nor is it proper or acceptable in any way.
What I see of christianity is right in line with fear and intimidation though...so it makes sense.
[:/]

I was severely beaten as a child. Made excuses for it for years. Previous generation's beliefs and all that.
Thankfully, I broke the chain of abuse with my kids and never laid a hand on them. They turned our more normal than I. That's a parent's responsibility in my mind.
They have never feared me. I would never go to my parents for anything. I didn't want to fight dad for everything. My kids come to me with everything. They trust me. Know I won't judge them, and talk to them.

I sincerely hope for the sake of humanity that neither of you have children.
Beating children is NOT christian nor is it proper or acceptable in any way.
What I see of christianity is right in line with fear and intimidation though...so it makes sense.
[:/]

I was severely beaten as a child. Made excuses for it for years. Previous generation's beliefs and all that.
Thankfully, I broke the chain of abuse with my kids and never laid a hand on them. They turned our more normal than I. That's a parent's responsibility in my mind.
They have never feared me. I would never go to my parents for anything. I didn't want to fight dad for everything. My kids come to me with everything. They trust me. Know I won't judge them, and talk to them.

First and foremost, I want to congratulate you for breaking the cycle of domestic violence to which you were exposed.

In the latter stages of my professional employment I was a crisis response counselor in a DV program.

I attempted to start a program aimed at disenfranchised fathers to teach nurturing concepts. It was extremely frustrating to learn of and be subject to the prejudice of the women in the DV field. My partner and I discovered that liberated females see the field in terms of power and control. They want men to be submissive and not in positions of authority.

Second, there is a big difference between spanking and beating. I do not advocate beating. My wife does not advocate spanking either.

Third, I do not have children of my own. I realized some my character defects at an early age of adulthood. I chose to leave the responsibility to those more capable.

My partner and I discovered that liberated females see the field in terms of power and control. They want men to be submissive and not in positions of authority.

How do you think domestic violence should be seen?

I'm agin' it for either women against men, or men against women. But just as right-of-way on a road is something that you think about and give, not that you take, power should also be something that you think about and give, rather than automatically taking.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My partner and I discovered that liberated females see the field in terms of power and control. They want men to be submissive and not in positions of authority.

How do you think domestic violence should be seen?

I'm agin' it for either women against men, or men against women. But just as right-of-way on a road is something that you think about and give, not that you take, power should also be something that you think about and give, rather than automatically taking.

Wendy P.

The power and control to which I refer is the bias and prejudice against males running a DV program aimed a other males. The field, that is the DV programs, is/are dominated by female management. They do not welcome men into their world. They want submissive and financial support from men. They do not want men to be equal professionals.

They won, we quit.

Ah, I understand. And, frankly, I'm sorry it turned out that way. There are probably abusive men who would listen to other men rather than women. People who traditionally have had all of the power are loath to give it away, aren't they.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So if you don't beat your kids you're a "pushover"? There are lots of ways to enforce discipline that don't involve physical violence. What does whipping the shit out of a kid teach them? Number one, they'll never trust you when they need help. Number two, violence is an acceptable way to resolve disputes.

There have always been bad parents, in every generation. Teaching kids to use violence to get their way is not a helpful contribution to the problem.

Don