stevebabin

For the atheists...

LOL, You do not understand it, it answers a question you asked two posts ago in profound ignorance.

No, you simply do not understand the premise from which the question was asked though it was already explained to you...crystal clear.

Really? I read:

"The question that keeps ringing in my ear is why are we not perfect? "

Followed by a lot of hand waving, begging the question and non sequiturs.

The video answers your question. See, with the evidence you might have some wiggle room for faith in the recesses of the big bang or special pleading involving magic, but there really is no hiding from the glare of the mountains of evidence in support of evolution and other processes.

You have to do what you just did, refuse to examine the evidence, or dismiss it without thoughtful consideration, all to support a bronze age book.

>and I never claimed that I believed in zombies.

Uh . . . ok then. Good for you.

Hey, dorbie is the one equating my beliefs to a zombie....I felt a pile of dung was an appropriate analogy to his beliefs.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I was raised Catholic, no bad memories, just went through the motions. I Went to a watered down catholic school. Never finished confirmation, to my parents dismay. But I never really questioned the existence of a god.
At 13 I was 'witnessed' to on a corner and began attending a Pentecostal church. 3 times a week, twice on Sunday and on Wednesday. I was attracted to the sense of belonging. Went to numerous revivals and prayed and prayed to feel the spirit of God move through me like it did the others. I had an epiphany about the selfishness of prayer. Prayer for a job, prayer for a healed marriage. Prayer for money. Never a prayer for those who did not have the luxury of praying for anything but a meal to hold their family just one more day.

But Pastor would jiggle his fat self on stage, start rambling in tongues, and pray for these things.

Looking around, I began to feel like a hypocrite, I realized I did not believe. I stepped out. Never looked back. Not going to hell.

Even in all my years as an atheist, I am often heard to cry, "oh, God. . . Oh, God" on occasion.
~~We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly~~MLK

Everything else seems to be eternal

Like what?

Why must sentinece cease to exist?

Sentience is created by the brain. When the brain ceases to exist...

I'm sure you can fill in the blank.

If you believe that life, sentince and intelligence can evolve from a pile of dung, what is so ridiculous about the concept of evolving from physical imperfection into physical perfection and from physical prefection into spiritual perfection that will finally complete the cycle of our existience?

The whole concept. That's what's ridiculous. First of all, you're using the word evolution in two completely different senses, so the existence of actual evolution (miniscule changes accumulating over many thousands of generations) has absolutely nothing to do with your 'spiritual evolution' which you are as a massive instantaneous change for every member of every generation.

Insane, crazy?

Yes.

Science is great, but you do not have to limit yourself to it's rules and imprison your mind.

Uh-huh.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Well, there's the first misconception.

..and there's a second one.

And since you fail to provide arguments as to why those are misconceptions, I assume that's because you don't have any arguments.

They've all been made...repeatedly.

And yet even the Christians in this thread disagree with you. I guess no-one was listening.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

So you're ok with being a liar or with people lying to you since it's all just "natural?"

Whether lying is good or bad entirely depends on the situation, but it doesn't take a whole lot to realize that lying is essential to human society. So yes, lying is natural for humans to the point we couldn't survive without it.

Everything else seems to be eternal

Like what?

anything that matters...

First of all, you're using the word evolution in two completely different senses

Of course...so what, he was using the word zombie in two completely different senses.

Insane, crazy?

Yes.

You must know...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Of course...so what, he was using the word zombie in two completely different senses.

Firstly I used zombie in only one sense to characterize your resurrected god. There's also Matthew 27:52-53 if you want to get all George Romero. It was not ignorant, it was grounded solidly in scripture. Your objection is a semantic one.

Second your misrepresentation of what I wrote does not excuse any old factual inaccuracies you care to throw out. Crying about "zombies" in response to valid criticism only illustrates that it got under your skin.

Have you dared to look at the evidence in those videos that directly answers your question?

So you're ok with being a liar or with people lying to you since it's all just "natural?"

Whether lying is good or bad entirely depends on the situation, but it doesn't take a whole lot to realize that lying is essential to human society. So yes, lying is natural for humans to the point we couldn't survive without it.

Interesting. I wonder if we should trust anything you say or do.

I wonder if we should trust those who wholeheartedly believe things for which there is no evidence, such as yourself.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

There's nothing interesting about basic knowledge about human nature. Lying simply isn't bad or evil by definition. There's lots of situations I can think of where the truth would do more damage then a lie. I would rather trust someone who's able to make this basic observation then someone who doesn't seem able too...

There's nothing interesting about basic knowledge about human nature. Lying simply isn't bad or evil by definition. There's lots of situations I can think of where the truth would do more damage then a lie. I would rather trust someone who's able to make this basic observation then someone who doesn't seem able too...

Basic human nature, flawed as it is, is still very interesting. Anyway, that aside, what does that make you if you tell lies or what would you call me if I told you a lie?

Basic human nature, flawed as it is, is still very interesting.

According to the Christian view of how the world should be, human nature is indeed flawed, but then again, Christianity views lust, which is in fact rather essential to the survival of the species, also largely as a flaw.

Anyway, that aside, what does that make you if you tell lies or what would you call me if I told you a lie?

Human?

Basic human nature, flawed as it is, is still very interesting.

According to the Christian view of how the world should be, human nature is indeed flawed, but then again, Christianity views lust, which is in fact rather essential to the survival of the species, also largely as a flaw.

Anyway, that aside, what does that make you if you tell lies or what would you call me if I told you a lie?

Human?

Really? So if I stood in front of you and told you a bold faced lie, you wouldn't think I was a liar? You'd be ok with it because, of course, it's only human nature. Wow! You are understanding. I guess you wouldn't take it personally if the salesman intentionally "mislead" you and it cost you money. I mean, it's only human nature. Must be alright. Not legally, of course, but morally. I guess, as long as you don't get caught.

Really? So if I stood in front of you and told you a bold faced lie, you wouldn't think I was a liar? You'd be ok with it because, of course, it's only human nature. Wow! You are understanding. I guess you wouldn't take it personally if the salesman intentionally "mislead" you and it cost you money. I mean, it's only human nature. Must be alright. Not legally, of course, but morally. I guess, as long as you don't get caught.

I don't really appreciate it when people put words in my mouth, so cut that out, will you? As I clearly stated before, it depends on the situation whether a lie is unethical or not. And yes, it can be ethical to lie, if you can't think of situations were lying is better then telling the truth, you're not very bright. I would draw the line between ethical and unethical lying depending on the harm the lying causes/prevents.

As I clearly stated before, it depends on the situation whether a lie is unethical or not. And yes, it can be ethical to lie, if you can't think of situations were lying is better then telling the truth, you're not very bright. I would draw the line between ethical and unethical lying depending on the harm the lying causes/prevents.

Ok, although I disagree that is ever ethical to lie, how many proper deceptive lies have you ever told? If you're like the rest of us, what would that make you...or, if I told you a bald faced lie to your face, what would you say that I was? Seriously...