Kennedy

Guns Don't Kill People...

Frenchies with swords recently denied gun permits kill people.

Considering he was the type of person that flips out and kills people, I'd say it was a good decision not to grant him the permit.

The truth is . . . the guy was only able to kill one out of several people he clearly wanted to when he flipped out.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

He was also neutralized quickly by a gun.

Yes and by a trained professional.

Be that as it may, if he had a gun, I'd say it's a good bet there would have been more dead people.

Clearly they made the correct decision to not give the guy the permit. Or would your argument be that if he'd been given the permit, he would -never- flip out and always would have been a model citizen?

The simple fact he went into a police station with a samurai sword and started hacking away sort of says he was pretty unstable to begin with.
quade -

Be that as it may, if he had a gun, I'd say it's a good bet there would have been more dead people.

Clearly they made the correct decision to not give the guy the permit. Or would your argument be that if he'd been given the permit, he would -never- flip out and always would have been a model citizen?

The simple fact he went into a police station with a samurai sword and started hacking away sort of says he was pretty unstable to begin with.

The system worked this time. Whatcha bitchin' for?
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I suppose you'd have to ask Kennedy as he made the original post.

Me. I'm thinking the entire incident proves why some people shouldn't be allowed to have guns.
quade -

I suppose you'd have to ask Kennedy as he made the original post.

Me. I'm thinking the entire incident proves why some people shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

Kennedy wasn't bitchin'. He, as most sensible people, blames the person and not the tool.
The incident also proves why competent people should never be denied the right to have a gun and use it for self preservation. What if he had gone into a cafe or diner instead? It's a pretty sure bet there would not be a trained professional there to protect the customers.
HAMMER:

The incident also proves why competent people should never be denied the right to have a gun and use it for self preservation. What if he had gone into a cafe or diner instead? It's a pretty sure bet there would not be a trained professional there to protect the customers.

Then we're in agreement; gun permits should be denied when a person is thought to be unstable.
quade -

Then we're in agreement; gun permits should be denied when a person is thought to be unstable.

Depends on who's doing the thinking.

Awesome. We're also in agreement that it IS a good idea then. Now it's just a matter of details.
quade -

Awesome. We're also in agreement that it IS a good idea then. Now it's just a matter of details.

It's always about the details. Nobody has ever suggested that someone who is mentally unstable should have a gun. The question is more about who decides and how they come to that conclusion.

It's always about the details. Nobody has ever suggested that someone who is mentally unstable should have a gun.

I beg to differ. We've have a number of people in this forum suggest that very thing.
quade -

I just thought it was funny that it was a frenchamn with a sword, involving a gun permit.

And Paul, if you want to be picky, if he was bent on mass killing, he didn't need a gun. Blades work perfectly well for that, too. And before you celebrate that only one person died instead of several, take into account that it was a police officer, in a police station, surrounded by other officers, with guns.

But if you want to say the system work (as to denying him a gun permit), well then I have to ask: why don't they register and permit swords?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

It's always about the details. Nobody has ever suggested that someone who is mentally unstable should have a gun.

I beg to differ. We've have a number of people in this forum suggest that very thing.

You are obviously misunderstanding their position. Some have questioned the methods of declaring someone mentally unstable, buy I have never heard anyone advocate guns be allowed for them. I have also heard people disagree on the definition for mental instability but that's different than thinking a person with a violent history and mental instability is not grounds for disallowing guns.

Yup on several occasions.... I think the party line goes something like the nutter is not really a nutter until a judge says he is a nutter no matter how much of a fucking nutter he has been even from an early age when nutter behavior first manifested itself.

SO by virtue of this arguement... the 1968 rules need not apply.. GUNS FOR EVERYBODY WOO HOO...

Until responsible gun owners take a stand and demand that they not be painted with the same brush by society as the bad actors... no constructive changes will be made.

Yup on several occasions.... I think the party line goes something like the nutter is not really a nutter until a judge says he is a nutter no matter how much of a fucking nutter he has been even from an early age when nutter behavior first manifested itself.

Yes. It's called "Due Process." That pesky US Constitution strikes again.

Hey its all good... as long as that due process does not take too long before that next nutter of a client you get.. decides you are a fucking zombie

Hey its all good... as long as that due process does not take too long before that next nutter of a client you get.. decides you are a fucking zombie

I'll be fine. I keep a loaded Glock 36 in my desk. Thank You for the concern, though...

You are obviously misunderstanding their position.

It was never a misunderstanding, but rather an intentional misrepresentation on his part. Even after getting schooled by mental health professionals.

No, they should only be denied to those who are proven unstable.
Hell, most people think all skydivers are unstable. Should skydivers be denied the right to own a gun?
HAMMER:

No, they should only be denied to those who are proven unstable.
Hell, most people think all skydivers are unstable. Should skydivers be denied the right to own a gun?

We should also ban football and hockey players from owning guns. They all have a long history of violence and they assault people on a daily basis. Sure it's consentual but, you never know when they are going to cross that line between fantasy and reality.

Actually guns DO kill people. Lots of them.

In the USA guns kill more than all other homicide weapons put together.

Given this (I shall assume that you have stats to back this claim up), are you suggesting we disregard the right to Due Process, the 2nd Amendment, and the Supreme Court's rulings in DC v. Heller and McDonald v Chicago to solve the problem as you perceive it?

I am not trying to set up a straw man. I am paraphrasing what usually is the successive statement to "guns in the USA kill more than all other homicide weapons..."

Actually guns DO kill people. Lots of them.

In the USA guns kill more than all other homicide weapons put together.

Given this (I shall assume that you have stats to back this claim up), are you suggesting we disregard the right to Due Process, the 2nd Amendment, and the Supreme Court's rulings in DC v. Heller and McDonald v Chicago to solve the problem as you perceive it?

I am not trying to set up a straw man. I am paraphrasing what usually is the successive statement to "guns in the USA kill more than all other homicide weapons..."

I've spent years arguing the Constitutions on here. To many people, the Constitution should be subservient to stigma, and in order to ensure the safety of the People, the People should be sterilized from prospective risk.

The Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Eighth and Fourteenth Amendments should not be applicable to those "thought to be" risks.

My wife is hotter than your wife.