StreetScooby

Wall Street's Gullible Occupiers

This is a fact - there has been no effort to investigate, indict, prosecute, and jail the criminals that put the US economy over a cliff.

There was an extensive investigation, published here:

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/fcic/fcic.pdf

The time line in this report is very well done. We know what happened and why.

Re: govt accountability, can't argue with you there. Barney Frank is still in charge. Barney and his friends deny all culpability in the matter. Barney "rolled the dice" big time, and they came up craps. Now, everyone else get's to pay the piper.

The wall street dealers most involved in this mess are now out of business or no longer stand-alone entities: Bear Stearns, Lehman, and Meryll Lynch. Let me add that they should be out of business. That's how markets are supposed to work. Both were incredibly irresponsible in their risk taking, and they (and unfortunately their employees, bond holders, etc) have paid a steep price.

On the origination side (e.g. Long Beach, Ameriquest, CountryWide, et. al.), there was quite a bit of out right fraud, though that didn't cause the depth of the mess. Those that were responsible for the fraud have not been fully prosecuted, nor have the victims of that fraud been made whole. Blame that on the feds. State officials tried to shut down their fraudulent activity, and the feds wouldn't let them. Alan Greenspan ultimately had the power to force this, and he chose not to.

Bottom line, after 10 years of CRA enforcement, the entire mortgage industry in America simply rotted away. Lots of blame to go around. At every link in the chain, there simply was no market accountability to be found. Where there was govt accountability to be exercised, it wasn't.
We are all engines of karma

It doesn't matter how eloquent or factual you lay things out, there is a certain group here that will always blame Bush.:S

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

>Lots of blame to go around.

Definitely. Was it the Financial Services Modernization Act? Fannie Mae? Evil banks? Stupid homeowners? Flippers? To some degree, yes to all. FSMA allowed banks to do stupid stuff in secret. Fannie Mae encouraged foolish homeowners to get loans they couldn't pay back. Flippers, encouraged by early successes, went to riskier and riskier investments. Homeowners drank the kool-aid and got tremendous ARMs they could barely afford even when interest rates were low.

Then, when interest rates twitched and the first few homeowners defaulted on their loans, the landslide began.

In other words, who is to blame? All of us.

The Wall Street protesters are no different than the tea partiers. Neither group makes much sense. They just come from different ends of the political spectrum. Of course the Wall Street Journal doesn't like the Wall Street protesters. And of course the conservative posters here don't like the WS protesters. And both groups will continue to shout past each other, no one really saying much of anything worth listening to.

>Lots of blame to go around.

Definitely. Was it the Financial Services Modernization Act? Fannie Mae? Evil banks? Stupid homeowners? Flippers? To some degree, yes to all. FSMA allowed banks to do stupid stuff in secret. Fannie Mae encouraged foolish homeowners to get loans they couldn't pay back. Flippers, encouraged by early successes, went to riskier and riskier investments. Homeowners drank the kool-aid and got tremendous ARMs they could barely afford even when interest rates were low.

Then, when interest rates twitched and the first few homeowners defaulted on their loans, the landslide began.

I don't fall into any of those categories. Paid off my mortgage 20 years ago, not a banker, didn't invest in ridiculous "instruments", didn't flip, didn't default on anything, pay off my credit card in full every month, didn't want FSMA...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Thank you, bill. In no small part due to you, I have myself been looking at it differently. I’ve learned what anybody with experience knows – that disaster is rarely caused by one big event. Rather, failure analysis almost inevitably shows a series of small problems that build on each other until the big event.

We all made mistakes. And we’re all paying for it. Leveling blame at Wall Street or Barney Frank or Krugman or Homebuyers misses the point. A non-inclusive list affixing blame due to political expediency will ensure that it will repeat itself.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>Paid off my mortgage 20 years ago, not a banker, didn't invest in
>ridiculous "instruments", didn't flip, didn't default on anything, pay off my
>credit card in full every month, didn't want FSMA...

Really? I have two fixed rate mortgages that I can pay, don't have much credit card debt, didn't use any FSMA services - so I figured I had nothing to do with it, either.

Then I looked more closely at some of the mutual funds in my 401k - and yep, one was invested in MBSes. And while I certainly didn't tell our 401k management company "yeah, put my money in risky mortgage based securities" I did base the decision on past performance of that mutual fund and expected future performance. And there's not much doubt that the past good performance of MBSes has helped mutual funds provide better returns.

It's hard to completely separate yourself from problems like this.

>Paid off my mortgage 20 years ago, not a banker, didn't invest in
>ridiculous "instruments", didn't flip, didn't default on anything, pay off my
>credit card in full every month, didn't want FSMA...

Really? I have two fixed rate mortgages that I can pay, don't have much credit card debt, didn't use any FSMA services - so I figured I had nothing to do with it, either.

Then I looked more closely at some of the mutual funds in my 401k - and yep, one was invested in MBSes. And while I certainly didn't tell our 401k management company "yeah, put my money in risky mortgage based securities" I did base the decision on past performance of that mutual fund and expected future performance. And there's not much doubt that the past good performance of MBSes has helped mutual funds provide better returns.

It's hard to completely separate yourself from problems like this.

I have a 403b and have not much say in where it's invested. 401k plans give you more freedom.

>I have a 403b and have not much say in where it's invested.

Which means you may have been one of the millions of people who invested in MBSes, hoping for a good return.

One take on that would be that you had a 403b that someone else managed, and so your responsibility was very limited; you basically trusted the account manager to invest your money wisely and really didn't have any input on how he did it. And if you made money, great; you were being responsible and saving for retirement.

Another take on it would be that your greed led you to invest in risky credit default swaps, and when your house of cards collapsed, you had only yourself to blame. And that you even used a "middleman" to try to shield yourself from culpability for your irresponsible choices, as many rich investors do.

(Choose which one based on your political leanings, of course.)

Which means you may have been one of the millions of people who invested in MBSes, hoping for a good return.

A 403b is managed by the employer, not the employee, and the employer, not employee, gets to choose where the money can go. I have almost no say where the contributions go. The rules are more restrictive than for a 401k

True

But if the Gov had not pushed lenders in the first place, the slide would not have happened the way it did. And it may not have happened at all

That said, I still agree with your points
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

But if the Gov had not pushed lenders in the first place, the slide would not have happened the way it did. And it may not have happened at all

The MBS market place was very stable for decades prior to CRA enforcement. That, in the opinion of many (myself included) is the root of the rot that has occurred.
We are all engines of karma

A 403b is managed by the employer, not the employee, and the employer, not employee, gets to choose where the money can go. I have almost no say where the contributions go. The rules are more restrictive than for a 401k

so you provided ammunition to those that did wrong (in your opinion).

>I have almost no say where the contributions go.

Agreed. But you certainly do have _some_ say. And thus you did have some control over where the money was invested.

BTW my point is not to claim that you did something stupid. You did something that millions of other people did, all of which slightly contributed to the problem. It is all those slight contributions multiplied by millions that, in part, led to this problem.

>I have almost no say where the contributions go.

Agreed. But you certainly do have _some_ say. And thus you did have some control over where the money was invested.

I get to choose annuity or mutual fund. Don't get to choose which annuity or which mutual fund, or what they invest in.

The MBS market place was very stable for decades prior to CRA enforcement. That, in the opinion of many (myself included) is the root of the rot that has occurred.

Yes it was
but the gov started to double down on CRA during the Clinton years
They even had the different Depts threatening banks about ratings and how mergers would be treated if they did not toe the line
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>I get to choose annuity or mutual fund. Don't get to choose which annuity
>or which mutual fund, or what they invest in.

Exactly. And you can choose to not invest at all. But you wanted a good return in your retirement account, so you chose a plan that you thought would benefit you.

And again, there's nothing wrong with that, But that decision you made is what other people (say, the Wall Street protesters) label "greedy rich people wanting to line their pockets." If no one invested in MBSes there would not have been the credit crisis we saw.