stevebabin

Religion and Politics...

Why should I respect a religion that claims that I'm a fool for not believing in God, and that I'm only able to do evil?

I would agree with that.
My question is:
Why do people feel the need to go so far off the deep end to show such vile DIS-respect?

Man, you mention religion to some people and you're putting them in danger of having a vessel-popping heart attack. I don't get it.

Isn't it enough to simply say, "I don't believe in it and here's why?"

Or, to be fair, " I DO believe in it and here's why."

OK...so you don't want religion to have a part in the politics game. Simple enough: Don't vote for those guys. If the guy gets elected anyway, guess what...you are in the voting minority. Like it? No. Deal with it? Yes.

And yes, one could turn that around to see it from the other side of the fence, too.

Sounds like campfire talk, I know. Kumbaya, my lord, kumbaya....but none of us want THAT, eh?
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Why do people feel the need to go so far off the deep end to show such vile DIS-respect?

Personally I only show disrespect when someone shoves their religion in my face. Since the Netherlands are secularized to a great extend this rarely happens, btw. But when it happens I politely tell them that I don't want any part in their religion, if they don't understand that simple message.... Let's say, the usually understand things better when I'm done cleaning the toilet with their religion. I think the situation in the US is quite different then we have here in NL, but I'm in no way an expert.

Isn't it enough to simply say, "I don't believe in it and here's why?"

Often it is, sometimes it isn't. I had one lady complaining to me that she was offended by me washing my car on Sunday. She didn't take the polite response to that, and after that, well she got a bit more offended. I really don't take well to people trying to impose there nonsense upon me. Needless to say that after that, Sunday was my favourite day to wash the car.

OK...so you don't want religion to have a part in the politics game. Simple enough: Don't vote for those guys. If the guy gets elected anyway, guess what...you are in the voting minority. Like it? No. Deal with it? Yes.

Unless you're living in a secular nation, of course.

Sounds like campfire talk, I know. Kumbaya, my lord, kumbaya....but none of us want THAT, eh?

Sounds like campfire talk, I know. Kumbaya, my Dawkins, kumbaya....but none of us want THAT, eh?

Fixed that for you :P

But I agree with that. To use the cliché quote out the flick "The Mist":

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion?

Aw, you're just jealous of the fact that he's kind of witty.

He's dimmer than an energy saving lightbulb.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Aw, you're just jealous of the fact that he's kind of witty.

He's dimmer than an energy saving lightbulb.

Nah mate, he's my hero. He calls it as it is. He may be not so politically correct, but it's PC bull thats gotten us into this mess in the first place. The brainwashed masses that believe and allow the extreme religious nutters to carry on are the cause of the problem. He just says what any person who lives in the real world thinks about religion. How you cannot agree with old Pat in this day and age is beyond me. It only requires a little bit of logic and reasoning to deduce that God is man made.

I might advise all rational realist's in the audience to go watch all his videos. They are amazing.

GO PAT !:)

Ok thats your view, fair play. But getting away from Jesus, Muhammad et al, where did everything come from? I mean before the big bang. If there was no creator then how the the first matter appear and into what?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

well , for me I honestly think its just a matter of time till we work it out. Quantum theory see's particles jumping into and out of reality randomly all the time. I'm happy with that. We may just be on the cusp of the start of understanding it all, but we are chipping away at religion every year bit by bit. It really is just a waiting game until we know I think , although we may be in for a long wait.

Anyway, I think I am far better believing in the scientific method than the standard

" We don't understand so IT MUST BE THE CHRISTIAN GOD...... "

This type of thought process should have stopped centuries ago. pity some still hold on to it..

I'm not talking about a God of any religion but it seems to me that its logical that creation has a creator.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

This is where humanity is flawed. We are wired up to see time as a straight line... we have a creator ( mum and dad... ) and so its so very easy to assume the universe ( physics ) must be the same. Well it aint.

The key to understanding atheism for me was to project my conciousness into that of an alien observer flying by our world and looking down, seeing our TV and culture and religion and more importantley seeing it all OBJECTIVELY and without any preconceived ideas. It would seem to them that we are a selfish egotistical race full of self importance and arrogant enough to belive that deities that we conceive created all we see. How naive and immature we would look.

I'm not talking about a God of any religion but it seems to me that its logical that creation has a creator.

Nonsensical "logic". As asked many times but not answered, where did the creator come from?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

hell my best friend is a Christian, but respect? Puh-lease, we ignore each others views and beliefs and/or joke about it, but we sure as hell understand there's no mutual respect in that department.

Ya, and if he's as good a christian as you are an apatheist, that would like totally make sense dude!
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

An atheist can still believe in souls or an afterlife for instance.

ok...sort of like an emotional, over zealous, passionate apatheist?

It was always funny to me how someone soooooo apathetic toward God could actually take the time to create a word that describes his relation to Him, then boast about it all over the internet...

Trust me, there's a reason not too many people know about apatheism.

This whole thing kinda reminds me of one braggin' about their humility...

:D
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Dear Coreece,

I only took a couple of posts from you in another topic, to understand that the best way to "discuss" matters with you is to ignore you. So in every future topic you take the initiative to discuss something with me, I'll repost this exact message to make you remember that you don't have to expect an answer from me. I like to discuss matters in a civilized fashion even if I strongly disagree with an opponent, however, with you, and the likes of you, that's not a likely outcome. I'm only human and I can only take so much obnoxiousness from someone else.

http://www.patcondell.net/

His name is Pat Condell and it is comedy. He is British, so his use of sarcasm is not actually ignorance, it is something the English have mastered over centuries and perhaps one of the highest forms of humor (IMO).

It is also as funny as fuck.

And within that fantastic sarcasm, he makes some really good points. Mainly how fucked up the world is on account of religion.

Check him out on YouTube, he has a massive following.

Nonsensical "logic". As asked many times but not answered, where did the creator come from?

If i knew the answer to that I wouldn't be sitting here pissing about on the internet but talking to Presidents. But you're just using my question in reverse, So Prof can you have a bash at explaining to me where the universe came from and how was matter created?
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Creation, whatever that is, probably has a creator, but that doesn't say a whole lot about the universe of course.

Ok, fire away I'm listening. How was the universe created and out of what? (and where did that what come from?)
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I'm only human and I can only take so much obnoxiousness from someone else.

You might want to head over to the Bonfire then. :D
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Ok, fire away I'm listening. How was the universe created and out of what?

You ask the wrong question since there's absolutely no proof whatsoever that the universe was created. The verb "to create" implies there is a creator, and since a creator is nowhere to be found....

But to answer the question: I've a good but basic understanding of science. I know the Universe is thought to have originated from a singularity in a process colloquially referred to as the "Big Bang". I've no clue what caused the "Big Bang, and while I've no reason to believe a creator caused it, I don't rule the possibility out. Mind you, the creator doesn't have to be a God.

(and where did that what come from?)

You really know how to throw in your own windows, don't you? If everything has to come from something, your creator had to come from something too.

You might want to head over to the Bonfire then.

Nah, I think I'll be fine here. This is not the first forum I wrote on, and it's certainly not the worst. You don't have to worry that my feewings get huwt any time soon. And I'm usually pretty good at ignoring people that irritate me.