Coreece

Does this Chevy Volt commercial seem to be targeting liberal greenies?

It is an expensive yuppie car. It isn't a hippy car... hippy cars are normally crappy poluting pieces of crap, like ragged out old bugs with zero polution control.

At this point it is a status symbol and a way to purchase green feel good.

I really like the design, but at the current price point I would need to do way more driving and gas prices need to go way up in order to justify the cost.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Yes, yuppie car. Much more appropriate word.

you can be a yuppie and own that car but you must have some hippie in you.

alot of young urban professionals find the green movement quite nerdy and uncool. everyone i know that owns a Prius is a school teacher not a banker. they prefer BMW's and Benz's.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

Maybe for some people, but conservation doesn't have to be about the feel good vibe.

I tend to look at conservation from an economic cost benefit standpoint. It is the accountant in me.

I put low flush toilets and water saving faucets and showers because it is easier on my septic system which has a high dollar cost if I have to replace it.

I drive home with the cruise control on 60 because I commute 100 miles a day and that saves me a few MPG compared to getting caught up in the weaving and dodging required to go 85. A few MPG saves me 100 bucks a month in fuel costs.

Extra insulation = less money spent on fuel oil.

I would buy and drive the Volt if it hit a price point that the gas savings was greater than the increased electric bill and the monthly car payment cost associated with the premium you are paying for the Volt when compared to a non electric.

Hell most of my new staff are single, living in the city. They eat out every single night. I don't think conservation, money or resources, has much of their attention at this point. :D

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nQbsrQXA7s&feature=relmfu

Here's the second version...this shit cracks me up.

I just can't help but to think this commercial is what would happen if Billvon met JohnRich and his kid at a gas station...lol.

No offense John...I know you're a pretty sharp guy and that billvon would never drive an american car...wait...I meant a Big 3 car...wait...No, I meant a True 2 car...wait...nevermind.;)

Tesla all the way baby!:D

No offense Bill...:P

Christ, I hate politicorecto...:S
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Since when is it news that product ads are targeted to a probable-use demographic? They pretty much all are. Always have been.

It's not so much about the demographic they're targeting, but how they are targeting them and the generalized characteriscis of liberals that they're appealing to...

I'm more interested in your prespective...What is it about the commercial that makes you think they're targeting liberal greenies or yuppies?

The unnecessarily confrontational people meet the guy who wants to talk about something he did nothing but buy yet feels proud of so bad that he'll forgo his own bodily functions.

Everyone in that commercial strikes me as uninteresting.

Since when is it news that product ads are targeted to a probable-use demographic? They pretty much all are. Always have been.

It's not so much about the demographic they're targeting, but how they are targeting them and the generalized characteriscis of liberals that they're appealing to...

I'm more interested in your prespective...What is it about the commercial that makes you think they're targeting liberal greenies or yuppies?

I find it no more interesting than the particular style of ads for, say, pickup trucks or Budweiser that obviously are targeting blue-collar men. They're targeting the probable-use demographic. As in, so what?

>Ya, if his big dumb conservative oaf of a father wasn't there...

. . . buyin' Bud, chew and beef jerky!

Now that would be a nice touch. I'll have to remember that for next time...maybe we'll also add a gas guzzling pickup truck with texas license plates and a yuppie with a stick up his ass.

The Ninties and the 2000's have completely changed the culture/counterculture groups of the U.S. The "Hippies" and "yuppies" are now grandparents/great grandparents and totally irrelevant in any ad except for AARP and metamusel and haven't existed as an iconic subcultural group in over twenty to thirty years.

The driver of this car is more than likely a representative of someone who listened to "Grunge" as a kid.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Jeeze dude, what's your problem? We're all having fun here. You're starting to remind me of the high strung greenie in the commercial....relax, sheesh.

Heah come da judge. Heah come da judge.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.