dreamdancer

6 Ways the Rich Are Waging a Class War Against the American People

a moral twist...

There's another way of looking at “class war”: habitually vilifying the unfortunate; claiming that their plight is a manifestation of some personal flaw or cultural deficiency. Conservatives wage this form of class warfare virtually every day, consigning millions of people who are down on their luck to some subhuman underclass.

The belief that there exists a large pool of “undeserving poor” who suck the lifeblood out of the rest of society lies at the heart of the Right's demonstrably false “culture of poverty” narrative. It's a narrative that runs through Ayn Rand's works. It comes to us in bizarre spin that holds up the rich as “wealth producers” and “job creators.”

And it effects our public policies. In his classic book, Why Americans Hate Welfare, Martin Gilens found a striking disconnect: significant majorities of Americans told pollsters that they wanted public spending to fight poverty to be increased at the same time that similar majorities said they were opposed to welfare. Gilens studied a number of different opinion polls and concluded that the disconnect was driven by a widespread belief that “most welfare recipients don't really need it,” and by racial animus – “perceptions that welfare recipients are undeserving and blacks are lazy.”

http://www.alternet.org/economy/152512/6_ways_the_rich_are_waging_a_class_war_against_the_american_people/
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

Yeah, we get it. You hate successful people and want them to pay for everything while you get a free ride. So tell us bridgedweller: what specifically would you change in the tax law?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

You hate successful people and want them to pay for everything while you get a free ride.

It's always got to be so fucking EXTREME with you guys....

no one said they hate anyone, no said they were asking for a free ride. A little more compromise.... perhaps that is all that is being asked for.

You hate successful people and want them to pay for everything while you get a free ride.

no one said they hate anyone, no said they were asking for a free ride. A little more compromise.... perhaps that is all that is being asked for.

If you've read his posts, you realize that really does (sadly) sum up his position. I'd love for him to answer questions and give his thoughts. Since he refuses, we can only take what he gives us.

So, when can we expect your open letter of support for the aviation tax?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

>There's another way of looking at “class war”: habitually vilifying the unfortunate

You're right! That's unfair. We should only habitually vilify the fortunate.

+1 B|
witty subliminal message
1*

Yeah, we get it. You hate successful people and want them to pay for everything while you get a free ride. So tell us bridgedweller: what specifically would you change in the tax law?

According to mnealtx in another thread, the richest 1% pay 28.8% of taxes. The right wingers repeatedly tell us the bottom 50% isn't paying its way. Since the richest 1% own some 40% of the nation's assets, it seems that the rich and poor alike are freeloading on the middle class.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

According to mnealtx in another thread, the richest 1% pay 28.8% of taxes. The right wingers repeatedly tell us the bottom 50% isn't paying its way. Since the richest 1% own some 40% of the nation's assets, it seems that the rich and poor alike are freeloading on the middle class.

That top one percent only has 13.8% of *income* - you know, that stuff that *income* taxes are levied against?

Of course, I understand that you can't mention that since it destroys your supposed 'argument'.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That top one percent only has 13.8% of *income* - you know, that stuff that *income* taxes are levied against?

Of course, I understand that you can't mention that since it destroys your supposed 'argument'.

"Rich" !=income

:P

"Rich" !=income

And the "poor" in the US have cars, cell phones, play-stations and bigger TV's than me.

so "rich" and "poor" are not really good terms. Hell, the "middle class" can be someone with $25,000 to $100,000 a year in income.

Of course, 100k in SF or San Diego will not really get you very far.

"Rich" !=income

And the "poor" in the US have cars, cell phones, play-stations and bigger TV's than me.

Well, perhaps you should work harder or more effectively then you too could have a big TV.:P

>There's another way of looking at “class war”: habitually vilifying the unfortunate

billvon drops a pile of verbal crap...

So tell us bridgedweller: what specifically would you change in the tax law?

how cute - a little baby troll...

(have you got an adult troll to supervise you)

The European Commission has formally announced legislation to bring a Robin Hood tax into law. The move that will be welcomed by campaigners, but could trigger a clash with the UK and America.

EC President Jose Manuel Barroso, during his State of the Union speech in Strasbourg, said the financial sector should now repay some of its debts to the rest of the world, which helped it through the depths of the financial crash three years ago.

In the last three years, member states have granted aid and provided guarantees of €4.6 trillion to the financial sector. It is time for the financial sector to make a contribution back to society.

A so-called Tobin Tax would involve a tiny levy being imposed every time a financial transaction, such as buying or selling stocks, currencies or bonds, took place.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/blog/2011/sep/28/european-debt-crisis-greek-bailout

I cannot believe that the issue of letting the Bush tax cuts end is equated to class warfare. The richest 1% of the US own much more than 40% of national assets. I don't understand where 13.8% is coming from.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

yeah - one side calls the other side "greedy and selfish"
the other side calls the first side "hateful and resentful"

I suspect the true case is most people have a well thought our rationale for their positions, but if each side acknowledged that about the other side, then they'd have to throw out all the emotional energy and the strawhorse arguments and actually have to THINK

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

+1 B|

I think we should sporadically vilify both.

takes less effort and they don't have a schedule to plan their defenses

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

"Rich" !=income

Well, perhaps you should work harder or more effectively then you too could have a big TV.:P

nonsense - he should moan and groan about it and sooner or later the government will give him one for 'free'

I cannot believe that the issue of letting the Bush tax cuts end is equated to class warfare.

That's not what is being discussed.

The richest 1% of the US own much more than 40% of national assets. I don't understand where 13.8% is coming from.

If you can tell me what part of the word "income" gave you the problem, I'll try to explain further.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706