Skyrad

Why is Texas so different?

It's the high quality meth and minimum wage jobs. Tends to give them Texans big heads. Helps to keep them big hats on in big winds.

I understood that Missouri was the 'meth center' of the U.S.!?

Chuck

Yup, but, from what I understand, MoMeth is nowhere the quality of TexMeth.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

It's the high quality meth and minimum wage jobs. Tends to give them Texans big heads. Helps to keep them big hats on in big winds.

I understood that Missouri was the 'meth center' of the U.S.!?

Chuck

Yup, but, from what I understand, MoMeth is nowhere the quality of TexMeth.

I wouldn't know... I'm not into that shit.

Chuck

Thanks everyone, its interesting to get a perspective from both Texans and other Americans. And the fact about Oklahoma is also an interesting one.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

>So if you want to use absolute numbers

Let's use relative numbers instead.

Murder rates per 100,000 people, as of 2010:

In states without a death penalty: 2.9
In states with a death penalty: 4.6
In Texas: 5.0

Some bloodthirsty people in Texas.

Very strong correlation between violence (including homicide) and temperature.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Look at it this way, Bill... we don't hang 'em for horse stealin' or cattle rustlin', anymore! ;)

Chuck

Look at it this way, Bill... we don't hang 'em for horse stealin' or cattle rustlin', anymore! ;)

Chuck

:D:D:D:D That's not you, Chuck .... :D:D

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Chuck

:D:D:D:D That's not you, Chuck .... :D:D

:)

Chuck

Mooneys come from Texas.

I'll be flying the club Archer down to Kerrville if the weather is good the second week of Oct. Do you know if there is currently any activity at the factory? It would be a cool place to check out.

James

he needed killin for steppin on my grass" is very deeply ingrained and by far the majority.
Property seems to be more important.. than peoples lives.

Interesting. I've spent some time there and even had my own Texas Belle for a bit. And my impression was of some of the warmest people I've ever come across. A city boy like me was welcomed with handshakes and the stereotypical southern hospitality.

Then again, I've never been anywhere that I haven't liked and haven't found the people to be kind and generous.

Perhaps wherever we go is a reflection of us as individuals. If I go someplace where I look down at people and I'm pretty sure that they'll pick up on the hostility and return it. Go someplace with a mind towards making friends and appreciating what there is and people generally respond well and in kind.

---------------------------------------------------------
A wonderful way to look at not only your travels but life itself. I wonder if the others who talk down so much about Texans CONSTANTLY really even see their reflection in the mirror. But then it can be rather hard to see when you have your head stuck straight up your ASS.

Aww shucks.. I wonder if Billvon will give you a warning for that.....nice little PA... like he gave to me... nah.. never happen

Internationally Texas has a reputation as DP central. Its often seen as a right wing Christian state with hardline views. Never having been there I don't know if that really is accurate but it is how the media portray it. Is it a Xenophobic state of hot heads and cactus or is Texas getting a unfair deal in the global (and US) media?
Whats makes Texas so different?

"Whats makes Texas so different?"

Well, mainly just your opinion of the place. If we go with reputations then the English all have bad teeth and love to get pissed and start fights... All of them. The Germans all have pet monkeys, wear spandex in dull colors, and have no sense of humor. The French are afraid of everything, the Polish are stupid, the Aussies are criminals that all dress like Dundee, the Russians are all alcoholics that are all fat.

People from CA are all airheads that speak like, fer shure mannn. People from FL are all nearly dead Jews, people from Alabama are all related and dating each other. NYers are all named "Vito".......

You get the point?

I can't tell you the number of times a person from another country has told me that when they first came to the US that they were amazed they didn't see a shootout or at least hear one.

So I tend to try to avoid assuming that the stereotypes are correct till I have personal experience there, or at least have talked to a person from there at some length.

I found TX to be one of the FRIENDLIEST States I have been. In fact, I have found most places I have been to be very friendly.

he needed killin for steppin on my grass" is very deeply ingrained and by far the majority.
Property seems to be more important.. than peoples lives.

Interesting. I've spent some time there and even had my own Texas Belle for a bit. And my impression was of some of the warmest people I've ever come across. A city boy like me was welcomed with handshakes and the stereotypical southern hospitality.

Then again, I've never been anywhere that I haven't liked and haven't found the people to be kind and generous.

Perhaps wherever we go is a reflection of us as individuals. If I go someplace where I look down at people and I'm pretty sure that they'll pick up on the hostility and return it. Go someplace with a mind towards making friends and appreciating what there is and people generally respond well and in kind.

---------------------------------------------------------
A wonderful way to look at not only your travels but life itself. I wonder if the others who talk down so much about Texans CONSTANTLY really even see their reflection in the mirror. But then it can be rather hard to see when you have your head stuck straight up your ASS.

Aww shucks.. I wonder if Billvon will give you a warning for that.....nice little PA... like he gave to me... nah.. never happen

Kinda sounds like..."hey BV, I resemble that remark...give him a warning!":D
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Nothing like Michigan: 5.7

BTW, CA is 4.9 not exactly leaps and bounds below 5.0

It's the water.
Don't drink the water.
Drink Lone Star instead.

Oh, wait....

I don't know a lot about Texas except for:
-South Padre has great beaches
-Amarillo has wonderfully friendly women
-Easy to get lost in Houston
-Easier to get lost in Dallas
-El Paso sucks
-I-10 through Texas is the longest-ass road in America
-If you can't get laid by a woman in Lubbock, you must be gay.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Is it a Xenophobic state of hot heads and cactus or is Texas getting a unfair deal in the global (and US) media? Whats makes Texas so different?

Texas is full of all kinds of people from all walks of life, all political affiliations, and so on. The media bash Texas because they're jealous of our success, independence and lifestyle. And they need a boogyman to attack to make themselves feel superior. There are several people right here in this forum who also subscribe to that personality style. All the BS people like to throw around is just a stereotype, nothing more, and those have no validity. Texas even has liberal enclaves, like Austin. You can find places in Texas to fit just about any kind of lifestyle (except maybe snow skiing). I've lived up and down the east coast and visited a lot of other states, but I love Texas, and really don't care to settle anywhere else. It has a wide variety of geography, cities, recreational pursuits, jobs, and a relatively cheap cost of living. "I'm not a native Texan, but I got here as soon as I could!"

As far as the death penalty goes, see this:
State execution per capita:
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/state-execution-rates

Note that Oklahoma has a higher per capita execution rate than Texas. And Delaware isn't far behind Texas. But when was the last time you heard the liberal media calling Oklahomans or Delawarens a bunch of barbarians for their death penalty? I'll bet you haven't. That right there alone is proof of the anti-Texas bigotry that many people hold. Fuck 'em. If you don't like what we do here, don't come here. You have 49 other states from which to choose.

Stereo type that is hyped and overblown? As in, it really doesn't exist but everybody makes it out to exist there? I have to disagree with you there. In my three years living in TX I saw the stereotype more fulfilled than not. The one place I felt like it wasn't typical TX was when I was in Austin... and even then, it's still TX :)

Edited to add-- I know VERY nice people from TX. And I love the friends I made there, but just saying in terms of TX being thought of as conservative/republican leaning, people who love their guns, their BBQ and smoker, their country music, and their religion, their heterosexual marriage, etc, etc..... that is kind of what I noticed there. Like I said, the only gulp of fresh air I felt outside of that was when I spent time in Austin.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Mooneys come from Texas.

I'll be flying the club Archer down to Kerrville if the weather is good the second week of Oct. Do you know if there is currently any activity at the factory? It would be a cool place to check out.

James

Just spares to the best of my knowledge. No new A/C for some time now.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Nothing like Michigan: 5.7
BTW, CA is 4.9 not exactly leaps and bounds below 5.0

I often point out here that there is no relationship between gun control laws and murder rates, as there are high murder rates in both lax gun control states as well as strict gun control states. As well as low murder rates in both lax gun control states as well as strict gun control states.

And the same applies when you compare murder rates with death penalties. There are exceptions all over the place, which means that there is no correlation. There are death penalty states with both high and low murder rates, and there are no-death penalty states with both high and low murder rates. So the comparison means absolutely nothing.

I often point out here that there is no relationship between gun control laws and murder rates, as there are high murder rates in both lax gun control states as well as strict gun control states. As well as low murder rates in both lax gun control states as well as strict gun control states.

And the same applies when you compare murder rates with death penalties. There are exceptions all over the place, which means that there is no correlation. There are death penalty states with both high and low murder rates, and there are no-death penalty states with both high and low murder rates. So the comparison means absolutely nothing.

Yet you believe that if there was not a death penalty for murder, than murder would run rampant. You say so yourself in this post:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4192878#4192878

If you sentence mass murderers to the same penalty as marijuana users, then you're sending the message that mass murder is no big deal, and it opens the floodgates for increased levels of that crime.

I once read years ago that the following countries lead in the number of executions:

1) China
2) Iran
3) Congo
4) Texas

Is this something Texas should be proud of? Not really in my opinion and I consider myself a Texan.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174