Skyrad

9/11 didn't change the world, Iraq did.

You get the jist of it.

but a 100 year error is hard to overlook.

and its said that a week is a long time in politics:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

9/11 gave us the Patriot Act, HSA (and with it, TSA), and yes, the Iraqi war. Without it this war can't be sold. Even outside of the US, flying has become an ordeal with nudie scanners and customs nonsense. When we finally let the Iraqis fight it out on their own, we'll still have all of this.

Outside of the USA, in the rest of the world the TSA is an irrelevance. As is the Patriot act and HSA. Thos are problems within the borders of one country in the world and are not world problems. I travel regularly and never have to go through a nuddie scanner unless I chose to. Ten years after 9/11. Technology moves on and the scanners are slowly becoming more widely adopted but not as a direct result of 9/11 if so they would be in all airports years ago. Iraq was sold on a lie and had nothing to do with 9/11, but that doesn't change the fact that the consequences in the world (not just in the USA) are due more to the Iraq war rather than 9/11. The UK or USA didn't go to war with Iraq because of 9/11 but because we were told that they had chemical weapons which they could deploy against us in 45 mins.
9/11 changed America but not the world.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I travel regularly and never have to go through a nuddie scanner unless I chose to. .

Dear Mr Skyrad,

We have received a large number of complaints that you have been going backwards and forwards through the whole-body scanner at our airport for the over an hour at a time ....

This is causing major delays to our other customers and has on at least one occasion resulted in a member of our staff requiring a psych evaluation and extended time away from work.

Our equipment has not been installed so that ruffians, such as your self, can gain some sort of perverted pleasure whilst exposing yourself to the more sensitive members of my staff....

Yours
The management

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

So math isn't my strong point :P

I have to believe your OP was conveniently timed to go with the anniversary of 9/11.

It showed the world the limits of American power both military and economically.

Not true. We're still the best at invading a country, we just suck at the occupation thing.

It ruined America financially, going from a surplus to a massive un-payable debt.

I see you also suffer from math problems...

Iraq exposed the darker side of America and lost its claim to be the upholders of Freedom and democracy.

Because of Iraq America lost whatever claim it had on the moral high ground. It radicalised people who would not otherwise have been radicalised and led to the deaths of up to a million people.

It's our fault...riiight.

The legacy of 9/11 is mostly limited to some paranoia among some Americans, the legacy of Iraq is the demise of the USA as a world Superpower both in reality and in the imaginations of people around the globe.

Demise? Really? Only time will tell.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

There's more to September 11th 2001 than terrorism.

Larry Silverstein was the guy who held the lease on the 2 towers that were hit...here's an interesting timeline

July 2001 Silverstein leases 2 towers
August 2001 Silverstein insures both towers
September both towers are struck by planes and collapse

He actually had the balls to argue in court that each plane was a separate occurrence so that he could collect double the insurance $ (a judge denied this) but he still was paid over 4 billion in insurance proceeds.

Oh and he did a PBS interview where he talks about making the decision to "pull it" (WTC 7) on Sept 11th 2001. Pull it, in demolition terms, means implode. WTC7 was a building close to the 2 towers which had minor damage from the others collapsing. How is it that they setup all the explosives in a few hours? Pictures from the WTC7 rubble show a neat pile of rubble and absolutely no damage to the surround buildings, an indication of an implosion and not an uncontrolled collapse.

The US Govt is tight when it comes to education/healthcare but when it comes to military/defense contractors they have a blank check, and they've spent hundreds of billions in the last decade and will continue to do so until the "war on terror" ends, which is never. Most people don't know this but there are more US defense contractors (those paid by US govt to secure/rebuild Iraq) in Iraq than actual US troops. "War" is big business and if there is no enemy there is no business.

Not to mention that a little outfit called NORAD (North American Aerospace defense command) whose sole purpose is to defend US airspace launched exactly 0 planes on Sept 11th 2001.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but all the evidence stinks and quite often if you follow the money you find the truth.

How can you look at the Iraq of today and not be able to say our thousands of dead American troops, our hundreds of thousands of injured troops and a trillion dollar price tag and not be able to say it was well worth it?

I don't know about you, but every time I see Nouri al-Maliki, I am reminded of a young George Washington, or perhaps a Thomas Jefferson. It's so exciting to see a budding democracy stabilize that section of the world

Most people don't know this but there are more US defense contractors (those paid by US govt to secure/rebuild Iraq) in Iraq than actual US troops.

Well nooooooooo shit sherlock.:D:D

You are behind big time here. Your conspiracy theory theme is so 2003. You need to get up to date with 2011 conspiracy theories. You are failing your tin-hatters.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

9/11 gave us the Patriot Act, HSA (and with it, TSA), and yes, the Iraqi war. Without it this war can't be sold. Even outside of the US, flying has become an ordeal with nudie scanners and customs nonsense. When we finally let the Iraqis fight it out on their own, we'll still have all of this.

Outside of the USA, in the rest of the world the TSA is an irrelevance. As is the Patriot act and HSA. Thos are problems within the borders of one country in the world and are not world problems. I travel regularly and never have to go through a nuddie scanner unless I chose to. Ten years after 9/11. Technology moves on and the scanners are slowly becoming more widely adopted but not as a direct result of 9/11 if so they would be in all airports years ago. Iraq was sold on a lie and had nothing to do with 9/11, but that doesn't change the fact that the consequences in the world (not just in the USA) are due more to the Iraq war rather than 9/11. The UK or USA didn't go to war with Iraq because of 9/11 but because we were told that they had chemical weapons which they could deploy against us in 45 mins.
9/11 changed America but not the world.

Uh- I think you skipped several of my paragraphs and only answered the final one with an opinion.

And you're wrong - we went to war with Iraq because of 9/11. Not because Saddam was involved, but because Americans were so angry that they were no longer afraid of Vietnams, and were willing to commit (undrafted) ground troops into it. So Bush was able to scratch a 12 year old itch that otherwise would have remained.

Ya George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, why don't you ask the descendants of the hundreds of slaves they owned how great they were?

If there was no oil there, the US wouldn't give a shit about Iraq.

$ > morality

I guess I was not sarcastic enough for you, I think we are both on the same page when it comes to Iraq.

Hi Skyrad,

I disagree with you. I think that 9/11 changed the world. For the first time it really showed Western society that there are people out there who fundamentally disagree with our way of doing things and/or hate us. The changes to air-travel while really sad (prior to 9/11 a 10 year old could get shown the cockpit in flight for example) only really affect a minority of the world population.

All that said I think that Iraq really opened peoples eyes to the fact that the USA is prepared to operate as a "rogue" nation if and when it feels like international law is not in its favour. I wouldn't say that changed the world rather that it reinforced a generic world view of the USA. The USA has never been very popular in large parts of the world and Iraq can either be seen as severely damaging the USA's reputation as the world "policeman", or simply Iraq confirms the viewpoint that America will step on whoever it wants to get what it wants and the "world policeman" story is and was always just a front.

Final thought. One of the most striking things for me with terrorism is public trash cans(bins). I first worked in London at the back end of the IRA's involvement. After the peace agreement trash cans re-appeared in public places such as the London Underground and Oxford street. I don't know how long they hadn't been there for certainly before my time. Unfortunately they were only in London for about 18 months:( (note I haven't been in London for the last 2 or 3 years so they may be back). I think we get so used to how "dirty" and littered our capital city is we don't even notice anymore - until you go somewhere like Perth.

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

9/11 only killed a couple of thousand (not very important) people. the idea that it changed the world is ridiculous. now a holy christian jihad that has murdered millions certainly has changed the world. now we're on a knife-edge of world war with only the chinese to save the day...
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

9/11 only killed a couple of thousand (not very important) people. the idea that it changed the world is ridiculous. now a holy christian jihad that has murdered millions certainly has changed the world. now we're on a knife-edge of world war with only the chinese to save the day...

are you feeling ignored again? Need more attention?

good luck.