RonD1120

Gov. Brown vetoes bill to restrict military funeral pickets.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/sep/07/brown-vetoes-bill-to-limit-protests-at-military/

SACRAMENTO

Gov. Jerry Brown on Wednesday vetoed legislation that would have sharply limited protests at military funerals, delivering a victory to a small but vocal Kansas church that pickets somber goodbyes to fallen soldiers as a way to promote its anti-gay message,

In his veto message, Brown said he was “very tempted” to sign the measure but in “good faith” could not because it conflicts with a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that upheld picketing by the Westboro Baptist Church.
The veto comes just days before the 10th anniversary of 9/11, which the church contends reflected God’s wrath on the U.S. for its sins. Similar protests have been staged at funerals for celebrities, at disaster sites and synagogues.

Liberals have no core values. They have only strategies and tactics for political expediency. He is a disgrace to California and America.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/sep/07/brown-vetoes-bill-to-limit-protests-at-military/

SACRAMENTO

Gov. Jerry Brown on Wednesday vetoed legislation that would have sharply limited protests at military funerals, delivering a victory to a small but vocal Kansas church that pickets somber goodbyes to fallen soldiers as a way to promote its anti-gay message,

In his veto message, Brown said he was “very tempted” to sign the measure but in “good faith” could not because it conflicts with a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that upheld picketing by the Westboro Baptist Church.
The veto comes just days before the 10th anniversary of 9/11, which the church contends reflected God’s wrath on the U.S. for its sins. Similar protests have been staged at funerals for celebrities, at disaster sites and synagogues.

Liberals have no core values. They have only strategies and tactics for political expediency. He is a disgrace to California and America.

I'm guessing you missed this part?

...because it conflicts with a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that upheld picketing by the Westboro Baptist Church.

In other words, he's not going to sign a bill the Supreme Court has pretty much already decided is unconstitutional.

How, exactly, is that being a "disgrace to California and America"?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Liberals have no core values.

Oh, OK. And Conservatives are kitten-eaters and sheep-rapists.
Oh wait a minute; no they're not, either.
Really, Ron, you're intelligent and articulate; but despite your years on the calendar, you really need to grow up.

I'm more disturbed by his statement that he was "tempted" to sign it.

Why? Both in his "temptation" to sign the bill, and in his veto of it, he's being intellectually honest.

As a former seminarian who originally studied for the priesthood, he has compassion for the families of the bereaved, and sympathy for the public policy reflected in the bill. Thus, his initial "temptation."

But the seminarian in him also has a deep appreciation for the sanctity of oaths. As governor, he took an oath to "...bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of the United States...". As a Yale-trained lawyer and former law clerk to a California Supreme Court Justice, he certainly understands the necessity of honoring that oath in practice, and not in the breach, and of upholding the US Constitution, especially as recently and specifically ruled-upon by the US Supreme Court.

In 20+ years of legal practice, I've seen (and been disgusted by) a boatload of judges who, for reasons of personal and/or philosophical bias, are intellectually dishonest in the discharge of their duties, in the face of (i.e., to the breach of) the clear requirements of the law. The executive branch has no less an obligation to be intellectually honest in its application of the law than does the judiciary.

It's not liberals who are doing the picketing at soldiers' funerals. It's the right wing anti-gay religious fanatics who vote for conservatives that are!

No, it is one family church in Kansas.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Really, Ron, you're intelligent and articulate; but despite your years on the calendar, you really need to grow up.

I have no interest in the NFL. My team is the Conservatives. It is all a matter of choice which, at the bottom line is always made emotionally.

How, exactly, is that being a "disgrace to California and America"?

It doesn't, Gov. Moonbeam has been a disgrace for a long time. His decisions reflect the spirit of those who elected him. It is the left coast after all.

I have no interest in the NFL. My team is the Conservatives. It is all a matter of choice which, at the bottom line is always made emotionally.

I have no doubt you consider yourself a patriotic conservative American. I'm curious how one can be a patriotic conservative American and yet have no respect for the Constitution. Can you explain that to me?

I have nothing but contempt for Phelps and his "church". Still, it seems to me that "freedom of speech" means nothing if it is restricted to "freedom to say only things that don't get anyone else upset".

Don

It's not liberals who are doing the picketing at soldiers' funerals. It's the right wing anti-gay religious fanatics who vote for conservatives that are!

It was one family church in Kansas that got Proposition 8 passed in California? In other words, right-wing bible-thumping conservatives HATE GAYS, and have chosen to VOCALIZE their HATRED FOR GAYS by picketing soldiers' funerals to spew their HATRED, and their HATRED for a country that has a Constitution that demands EQUAL PROTECTION for everyone.

So, as a conservative you seem to be somewhat of a contradiction! You blast a Democratic governor (who since his election has become just about as middle of the road as a centerline stripe) for actually supporting the right of conservatives to exercise their right of free speech, even though he doesn't agree with what or how it's being said, solely because he believes that the Constitution is the law of the land.

I'd say Gov. Brown has a much better idea of what his core values are than you do of yours.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

I have no doubt you consider yourself a patriotic conservative American. I'm curious how one can be a patriotic conservative American and yet have no respect for the Constitution. Can you explain that to me?

Don

Probably not, we live in different levels of consciousness.

It was one family church in Kansas that got Proposition 8 passed in California? In other words, right-wing bible-thumping conservatives HATE GAYS, and have chosen to VOCALIZE their HATRED FOR GAYS by picketing soldiers' funerals to spew their HATRED, and their HATRED for a country that has a Constitution that demands EQUAL PROTECTION for everyone.

So, as a conservative you seem to be somewhat of a contradiction! You blast a Democratic governor (who since his election has become just about as middle of the road as a centerline stripe) for actually supporting the right of conservatives to exercise their right of free speech, even though he doesn't agree with what or how it's being said, solely because he believes that the Constitution is the law of the land.

I'd say Gov. Brown has a much better idea of what his core values are than you do of yours.

I ride with the Patriot Guard Riders. I find anyone who supports the WBC in any manner obnoxiously insulting. That being said, they have the right to protest all they want anywhere in the U.S. Rest assured, when they gather the PGR will stand with honor and respect between them and the grieving family.

If one of your gay friends died of AIDS and, when you attend the funeral you see people gathered on the sidewalk holding a banner that proclaims, "AIDS kills all the right people". How would that make you feel?

>Liberals have no core values.

True - if you consider the right to free speech, and the right to practice religion, to have no value.

(It would be fun to see your reaction to his veto of a law that would prohibit religious speeches, including prayers, at funerals.)

>I find anyone who supports the WBC in any manner obnoxiously insulting.

Why haven't you denounced them? Perhaps fix the problems in your own religion before attacking others, eh?

>If one of your gay friends died of AIDS and, when you attend the funeral you
>see people gathered on the sidewalk holding a banner that proclaims, "AIDS
>kills all the right people". How would that make you feel?

And yet I bet you support the rights of abortion protesters to post pictures of dismembered fetuses outside health care centers. How do you think that makes people who have miscarriages feel?

In his veto message, Brown said he was very tempted to sign the measure but in good faith could not because it conflicts with a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that upheld picketing by the Westboro Baptist Church.
The veto comes just days before the 10th anniversary of 9/11, which the church contends reflected Gods wrath on the U.S. for its sins. Similar protests have been staged at funerals for celebrities, at disaster sites and synagogues.

Jerry Brown is a hero upholding the US Constitution (that first amendment free speech thing and fourteenth amendment suggesting the states can't infringe on freedom) and this clearly demonstrates that the Democrats are the only ones left practicing founding fathers' principles (Bush 43 popularized free speech zones with protest cages keeping dissenters away from the media).

In fact, Jerry Brown is far more of a hero than the schmuck soldiers schlepping around Afghanistan (who're doing nothing for American Freedom, but are keeping profits up for defense contractors).

In fact, Jerry Brown is far more of a hero than the schmuck soldiers schlepping around Afghanistan (who're doing nothing for American Freedom, but are keeping profits up for defense contractors).

Making statements like that is not wise.

Making statements like that is not wise.

It may not be wise, but no matter how douchey someone's opinion is, and this one is certainly douchey, they still have the right to say it. I love that about our country, no matter how assholish I think some people who exercise their rights may be.

BTW, nice veiled threat. Kinda douchey, though.

- Dan G

>I find anyone who supports the WBC in any manner obnoxiously insulting.

Why haven't you denounced them? Perhaps fix the problems in your own religion before attacking others, eh?

My goodness billvon, I have denounced them on many occasions.

>If one of your gay friends died of AIDS and, when you attend the funeral you
>see people gathered on the sidewalk holding a banner that proclaims, "AIDS
>kills all the right people". How would that make you feel?

And yet I bet you support the rights of abortion protesters to post pictures of dismembered fetuses outside health care centers. How do you think that makes people who have miscarriages feel?

No, I do not. And, BTW, women who suffer the misfortune of a miscarriage are not likely to see such misguided protesters. Also, those ladies know the loss of their child was not the result of their ungodly decision.