JohnRich

Cops Confiscate Lady’s Arsenal; Motive Pending

News:

"Francesca Rice no longer serves in her country’s armed forces, but she brought a piece of the action back home with her.

"It seems the Lakewood vet had stockpiled her condo with a home arsenal including handguns, shotguns, a sniper rifle — plus a Thompson sub-machine gun, just in case the pizza guy got fresh.

"Her cache somehow caught the attention of Lakewood Police, who paid a visit last September. When they found Rice wasn’t home, they asked an obliging employee of the complex to open up the apartment without her consent. Once inside, they raided the gun rack, making off with 13 firearms worth around $15,000. The only problem: They had no apparent reason to.

"When Rice kindly asked to have her toys returned, the cops acknowledged that the weapons were legally owned. But they refused to return them without a court order..."
Full story: http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2011/08/30/cops-confiscate-lakewood-ladys-arsenal-motive-pending

Sounds a lot like theft to me. She shouldn't have any trouble winning that lawsuit.

It shouldn't take a lawsuit, along with the necessary legal fees. The sheriff should have the guts to admit that since they were taken wrongly, they should be given back.

When they confiscate a car for some reason, do they make you file a lawsuit to get it back? No. So why are guns that haven't been used in any crime different?

News:

"Francesca Rice no longer serves in her country’s armed forces, but she brought a piece of the action back home with her.

"It seems the Lakewood vet had stockpiled her condo with a home arsenal including handguns, shotguns, a sniper rifle — plus a Thompson sub-machine gun, just in case the pizza guy got fresh.

"Her cache somehow caught the attention of Lakewood Police, who paid a visit last September. When they found Rice wasn’t home, they asked an obliging employee of the complex to open up the apartment without her consent. Once inside, they raided the gun rack, making off with 13 firearms worth around $15,000. The only problem: They had no apparent reason to.

"When Rice kindly asked to have her toys returned, the cops acknowledged that the weapons were legally owned. But they refused to return them without a court order..."
Full story: http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2011/08/30/cops-confiscate-lakewood-ladys-arsenal-motive-pending

Ooops ... JR and a gun thread. I'm blown away, how new is that??

dudeist skydiver # 3105

News:

Ooops ... JR and a gun thread. I'm blown away, how new is that??

Opps christelsabine and an attack on JR in a gun thread

Next

an attack rushmc for grammar' spelling and other stupid shit.

:)

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Sounds a lot like theft to me. She shouldn't have any trouble winning that lawsuit.

It shouldn't take a lawsuit, along with the necessary legal fees. The sheriff should have the guts to admit that since they were taken wrongly, they should be given back.

It shouldn't but the city is going to have to pay for those fees.

It shouldn't but the city is going to have to pay for those fees.

Let's hope so...and a hefty judgement for violation of her civil rights.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The subject firearms have a sentimental value

What kind of sentiments would that be ?? :o

But it seems to me that this is pure theft, and by the Police. They entered the house, without warrant, and stole her belongings.

IMO they should return the weapons, and as compensation pay for a more securized gun cabinet.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The subject firearms have a sentimental value

What kind of sentiments would that be ?? :o

really? personally, the only really good things my father and I did was shot guns together, went to gun shows, hunted, spent time in his gun shop loading ammo and repairing guns. when he passed away a few months ago, the ONLY thing I wanted was one of his older lever action Winchester collectors as a keepsake. forget any money, any other property, just the one thing for memory's sake

If, like so many of SC participants wish in their secret hearts (and not so secret), a public official would break into my home (and everyone else's) and STEAL that gun, I'd go after them with every legal option in the book -

IMO they should return the weapons, and as compensation pay for a more securized gun cabinet.

they deserve jail time for a simple crime - not just correction.

Theft is illegal. Cops don't get to commit theft anymore than you or I.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'd love to have a Tommy gun myself.

I got a chance to shoot one a few years back

The uncle of a friend of mine brought his folding stock para tooper model back from WW II service

Had a blast (literall) shooting the thing but it cost a bundle

Even years ago
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Why am I not surprised 4 people are fine with the police stealing?

And I'd bet those same 4 would be up in arms if it was any other object that was stolen.

the woman should shoot those cops, i mean, the police were not there to protect her, she has to defend her property!

that other thread got me completely convinced of such practices..

oh, and i think that actually JR is secretly in love with christel! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I also think that Christelsabine is secretly in love with Johnrich. :)

You may be correct - she follows me around like a little puppy dog, and whispers sweet nothings in response to my messages. ;)

oh, and i think that actually JR is secretly in love with christel!

Not happening. I'm not even allowed to say here what I think of her. That should be a clue.

Why am I not surprised 4 people are fine with the police stealing?
And I'd bet those same 4 would be up in arms if it was any other object that was stolen.

And you notice that none of those people have the courage to make a post to explain or justify their position. That's how gun-grabbers operate.

The Thompson in this case is a semi auto. Also, at least one item appears to be a title II NFA item (Gemtech). Not sure of the state laws in Ohio and her particular municipality regarding ownweship and possession of NFA items, but if they allow it, and she has the proper tax stamps, there is no legal issue there.

The link to the filing in a post above also included an order for the offending agency to return the firearms; show cause/request a hearing; and/or post a 30,000 bond if they wish to maintain possession of the firearms and NFA item until a final judgement is entered.

This is NOT as uncommon as you would think folks. The uncommon part is the manner in which the police gained access and possession. In the case of the Gemtech, it is possible (though not likely) for there to be repercussions from the BATFE. Were they my firearms, I would get that ball rolling now.

At any rate, I personally believe the oficers involved, as well as the Chief of Police should be discharged if they cannot show legal cause for their actions in court. And where the hell is the NRA and GOA? There is also an organization known as the LSAS, or Lawyer's second amendment society. Cases such as this should be agressively pursued, not just taken through the motions to get the firearms back, but to make the point that when they are taken illegally, people will lose their jobs for illegal actions.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

At any rate, I personally believe the oficers involved, as well as the Chief of Police should be discharged if they cannot show legal cause for their actions in court. And where the hell is the NRA and GOA? There is also an organization known as the LSAS, or Lawyer's second amendment society. Cases such as this should be agressively pursued, not just taken through the motions to get the firearms back, but to make the point that when they are taken illegally, people will lose their jobs for illegal actions.

I agree 100%.
I've searched and searched for the reason why they took her firearms. I cannot find reason to why or even how the came to know that she had them.
If she done nothing wrong, give them back, and reimburse her for the trouble and expense this has caused.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

not just taken through the motions to get the firearms back, but to make the point that when they are taken illegally, people will lose their jobs for illegal actions.

give them back, and reimburse her for the trouble and expense this has caused

It's Breaking and Entering, and THEFT

Lose their jobs? No - go to JAIL

In these cases it needs to be handled exactly the same as if a regular civilian did the exact same thing

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

not just taken through the motions to get the firearms back, but to make the point that when they are taken illegally, people will lose their jobs for illegal actions.

give them back, and reimburse her for the trouble and expense this has caused

It's Breaking and Entering, and THEFT

Lose their jobs? No - go to JAIL

In these cases it needs to be handled exactly the same as if a regular civilian did the exact same thing

Not going to happen... brotherhood first.

There aren't many crimes that a police officer commit that result in that officer being treated like a regular citizen.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P