nigel99

How racist are you? Take the test...

I recently read a book (Blink) where the author mentioned a test that Harvard university runs.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/ Select the Race IAT test.

I am interested to see what people here score. I made it a poll so that if people are uncomfortable stating their results they can be anonymous.

Personally I fell into the slight preference for white. It surprised me slightly as I grew up in Southern Africa and with quite strong racial views all around me I was not sure how much it had influenced my views.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Unable to do the test due to program getting stuck in an unrecoverable loop.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Ditto.

I, however, claim no particular egalitarian stance, so my purpose here is to evaluate the test. If it indicates, for instance, that I have no bias, the test it broken.

Bummer.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/takeatest.html

Is everyone clicking the demonstration page? I forgot that is the route not the research link.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

going on the race test brings you to : Featured Task: Age-Groups IAT:|

Oh well. bummer it worked for me using Chrome just prior to posting.

It would have been interesting to see. The author that quoted the test is black and he stated that most western people have at the very least a slight white bias - including himself.

I suspect that if the test doesn't immediately call everyone a racist, then someone will protest the test as inadequate and racist.

I didn't take the test - does it ask what your race is?

(for half the crowd here, I suspect that a racism test only requires that one question - despite the irony)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I recently read a book (Blink) where the author mentioned a test that Harvard university runs.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/ Select the Race IAT test.

I am interested to see what people here score. I made it a poll so that if people are uncomfortable stating their results they can be anonymous.

Personally I fell into the slight preference for white. It surprised me slightly as I grew up in Southern Africa and with quite strong racial views all around me I was not sure how much it had influenced my views.

Test did work well.

Result? I really dislike. I'm not half as racist as the test shows ..... >:(

Oh well, I'm not American, that might be an explanation.

;)

PS: My Firefox works fine.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Mildly racist apparently. I assume it bands everyone in some way as a racist.

Worked fine on my Mac.

You are correct, but the proper term that I should have used was how biased are you. But it is largely down to media skewing our perceptions. In the studies they were able to alter peoples bias by simply getting them to watch "positive" stories such as track athletics where black people excel. It had a marked affect on the results. As I said in a previous post the author of Blink is black and he was biased towards white so it is not a "dig" at white people.

I suspect that if the test doesn't immediately call everyone a racist, then someone will protest the test as inadequate and racist.

I didn't take the test - does it ask what your race is?

(for half the crowd here, I suspect that a racism test only requires that one question - despite the irony)

The racist term is me being SC. The test looks at bias or preference - which is certainly different to racism. I am quite happy that someone can receive a strong white bias based on this test and not be a "racist".

Test did work well.

Result? I really dislike. I'm not half as racist as the test shows ..... >:(

Oh well, I'm not American, that might be an explanation.

;)

PS: My Firefox works fine.

and you don't see the irony of the italics when talking about a test concerning unreasonable bias......

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I couldn't get it to work with Chrome but it's fine with Firefox. I'm using a MacBook Pro btw.

Interesting. For me it didn't work in Firefox, but once I switched to Safari it worked.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I have not tried to do the test (when I see people saying the software is not working for them, I think why waste my time). But I have to ask why in the DZ.COM poll above is there only preferences for Black or White? Where I live, there are people here from virtually every country in the world. It is more than just Black and White.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over