jclalor

Burglar's family awarded $300,000 in wrongful death suit

Yes, I have been " burgled", and no I did not shoot the MF-ers because I wan't there.
HOWEVER...! Had, I been there, yes, I would have ventilated the bastards, with no qualms what-so-ever.
As an aside, I have a concealed weapons permit, and I'm always armed. I have, in 30 + years, not needed to pull, yet.

say they try to burgle your car, and you are there. Would you shoot the tyres to stop them, or would you shoot to kill ?
If you shoot to kill, how would you then explain it ?
would you rather say :
-I shot to kill, he deserved it (and I think you don't deserve the right to carry a weapon)
or
-I shot the tyres/his legs to stop him, but I missed (and I think you don't deserve the right to carry a weapon)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

say they try to burgle your car, and you are there. Would you shoot the tyres to stop them, or would you shoot to kill ?
would you rather say :
-I shot to kill, he deserved it (and I think you don't deserve the right to carry a weapon)
or
-I shot the tyres/his legs to stop him, but I missed (and I think you don't deserve the right to carry a weapon)

Someone's been watching too much TV.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

well, yodel has nothing to do with it. but a cowboy attitude, including the hats and boots, is very much relevant to kill someone over a car stereo..

I think your stereotypes about the shooters are misplaced. From the article: "The men are refugees who came to the United States from the former Yugoslavia in 1998." Doesn't exactly call to mind cowboy boots and hats.

yet, they were american citizens!? are you a native american? when did your people come to the US!?

Haha, I guess that point was a bit too subtle for you. Nevermind.
-Calvin

would you rather say :
or

Neither, you aim for center mass.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Though, personally...I think you'd have to be fucked in the head to kill some meth addict over a car stereo...

How do these people live with themselves?

This wasn't a killing over a car stereo, the picture is bigger than this. This was about a business being repeatedly broken into. In some places tweekers are a real big problem and if a few less of them is better for everyone.

Unfortunately I have to agree with the jury because state law doesn't allow people to protect their businesses. What I don't agree with is the law. People should have the right to defend their property regardless of whether its their home, car, boat, or business.

excellent post -

I'd like to ask those that find a 'car Stereo' to be a no brainer. Clearly, you've established that you will kill then for something more, we now just have to establish a price.

Car Stereo - maybe $200 (or more, or less) - don't kill

Can any of you then tell the rest of us what $$$ it becomes 'mature' in your minds?

And let's make it simple for each of the scenarios:

1 - simple larcency, they just take property
2 - burglary and larcency, they break something in order to steal it
3 - burglary and larcency, they break into a place that has potential victims in order to steal it

just tack on your $$ limit for when you decide to stand up for yourself

Edit: what about - they break into your house once a week and only steal $200 worth of property each time. Are they allowed to do it indefinitely? or will these $$ amount be based on a cumulative total........?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Though, personally...I think you'd have to be fucked in the head to kill some meth addict over a car stereo...

How do these people live with themselves?

This wasn't a killing over a car stereo, the picture is bigger than this. This was about a business being repeatedly broken into. In some places tweekers are a real big problem and if a few less of them is better for everyone.

Unfortunately I have to agree with the jury because state law doesn't allow people to protect their businesses. What I don't agree with is the law. People should have the right to defend their property regardless of whether its their home, car, boat, or business.

excellent post -

I'd like to ask those that find a 'car Stereo' to be a no brainer. Clearly, you've established that you will kill then for something more, we now just have to establish a price.

Car Stereo - maybe $200 (or more, or less) - don't kill

Can any of you then tell the rest of us what $$$ it becomes 'mature' in your minds?

And let's make it simple for each of the scenarios:

1 - simple larcency, they just take property
2 - burglary and larcency, they break something in order to steal it
3 - burglary and larcency, they break into a place that has potential victims in order to steal it

just tack on your $$ limit for when you decide to stand up for yourself

Well, you could use your own life insurance/ADD policy to see how much you value a life.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well, you could use your own life insurance/ADD policy to see how much you value a life.

I'm fine with whatever method VB and Co want to use since we've already established they consider this to be a dollar value argument between standing up for yourself vs rolling over and taking it in the rear. rather than a matter of right or wrong.

Edit: but I like your comment - it brings up a funny image. "you see, Officer, he broke through a window and took my stereo, so I just sat back and watched. I offered him coffee and cookies. Then he took my TV - so that's only about $1000 so far. no issue. BUT, then he went to take my WII. Now, we're over $1300 bucks and DAMMIT, I can't afford the deductable - so I shot and killed him right there."

"If it was only a car stereo, I'd have let him go, shooting him would be immature since it was less than my deductable anyway."

:D:D:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm fine with whatever method VB and Co want to use since we've already established they consider this to be a dollar value argument between standing up for yourself vs rolling over and taking it in the rear. rather than a matter of right or wrong.

Edit: but I like your comment - it brings up a funny image. "you see, Officer, he broke through a window and took my stereo, so I just sat back and watched. I offered him coffee and cookies. Then he took my TV - so that's only about $1000 so far. no issue. BUT, then he went to take my WII. Now, we're over $1300 bucks and DAMMIT, I can't afford the deductable - so I shot and killed him right there."

"If it was only a car stereo, I'd have let him go, shooting him would be immature since it was less than my deductable anyway."

:D:D:P

i wonder how that would hold up in court; do you have an extra 300'000$ to spend!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

well, yodel has nothing to do with it. but a cowboy attitude, including the hats and boots, is very much relevant to kill someone over a car stereo..

I think your stereotypes about the shooters are misplaced. From the article: "The men are refugees who came to the United States from the former Yugoslavia in 1998." Doesn't exactly call to mind cowboy boots and hats.

yet, they were american citizens!? are you a native american? when did your people come to the US!?

After 13 years, they were probably, but not definitely citizens. Still, it seems far more likely that they inherited their culture of armed response from living in a war zone (including genocide) and before that a Soviet regime, then from their later life in Colorado, a state that does not condone shooting to protect property. Had they been living in Texas, then there's a bit more credence to your allegation.

Like the old joke -

"we've already established you are a whore, now we're just haggling over price"

so? what's your price to finally choose to protect your own rights and property?

that's why civilised countries have insurances for that kind of stuff..

Yawn and watch your premiums skyrocket to the point where it either drives you out of business or you are unable to secure insurance. Claymores and landmines are much more cost effective. Plus it's not habit forming. The perpetrator(s) will not be making the same mistake twice. ;)

might damage the cars tough.. :P

That's what insurance if for,too:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Like the old joke -

so? what's your price to finally choose to protect your own rights and property?

i think if you pose a threat to my own life, the life of my loved ones, or even onto others lives, then i say, you are fair game.. THAT is when you pull a gun or other means of self-protection; NOT over a car stereo..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Like the old joke -

i think if you pose a threat to my own life, the life of my loved ones, or even onto others lives, then i say, you are fair game.. THAT is when you pull a gun or other means of self-protection; NOT over a car stereo..

So if you came home and someone had broken into your house, you would wait to see if they take a shot at you first?

Like the old joke -

So if you came home and someone had broken into your house, you would wait to see if they take a shot at you first?

well, if you broke into my home, you'd have to deal with the 70lbs dobermann-rottweiler first.. if you get past her.. then you have hurt my loved ones already.. or my dog has pre--dinner-party! :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Like the old joke -

well, if you broke into my home, you'd have to deal with the 70lbs dobermann-rottweiler first.. if you get past her.. then you have hurt my loved ones already.. or my dog has pre--dinner-party! :)

that is if you get past the three-bar door-lock; and i live on the top-floor!
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

But, what if they just want your stereo and your dog eats them? How could you keep such a dangerous animal around that would attack people who just want to take some of your cheap property?
-Calvin

But, what if they just want your stereo and your dog eats them? How could you keep such a dangerous animal around that would attack people who just want to take some of your cheap property?

why do i even bother replying to such an idiotic question.. :S
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda