JohnRich

Guns in Bars

***I just believe guns and alcohol are never a winning combination.

Just like drinking and driving is a bad idea..... The difference is that to prevent drinking and driving most people don't try to ban cars.

You miss the point, Cars are banned after you have been drinking.

I always thought that it was common sense to never mix alcohol and guns.

Are you suggesting that drinking and handling loaded firearms is alright? The NRA says you should never handle guns after drinking.

No, driving a car is banned after drinking past a threshold level of intoxication (which for me is at least 3 rounds), and only until the liver clears it out. You can still possess a car, can still get in the car.

No, driving a car is banned after drinking past a threshold level of intoxication (which for me is at least 3 rounds), and only until the liver clears it out. You can still possess a car, can still get in the car.

Alcohol also affects judgment. Many people start acting like assholes, or just recklessly, when they're still slightly under the legal limit to drive. So craft a guideline applicable to guns and alcohol that reasonably takes that into account.

Alcohol also affects judgment. Many people start acting like assholes, or just recklessly, when they're still slightly under the legal limit to drive. So craft a guideline applicable to guns and alcohol that reasonably takes that into account.

I fail to see a difference between the two, particularly when the DUI related fatalities exceeds all criminal gun use. If you're already acting like an asshole or behaving recklessly, you're not competent to drive.

And actually, in CA, the law is built around that premise. If you blow between .04 and .08 AND fail a field test, you're still arrested for DUI. If you test over 08, you're presumed impaired regardless, and under 04, presumed not impaired. Much earlier John asked why a glass of wine with dinner would be such a big deal - that's a < .04 situation. This is probably the sort of guideline you were looking for.

In any event, Quade's statement that cars are banned is clearly false.

I'm still wondering if you think drinking, handling loaded weapons, and shooting are ok while drinking?

Such people often don't stay just under the legal limit for driving. Then they get caught for DUI or some other offense from being reckless, which gives them a felony criminal record. And once they've got that, then they're no longer able to legally own a gun. So the law has done all it can at that point to keep drunken assholes from getting drunk and using guns.

On the other hand, people who prove themselves capable of controlling their drinking, are also capable of controlling their guns.

I'm still wondering if you think drinking, handling loaded weapons, and shooting are ok while drinking?

"Hold my beer and watch this...":ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

No, cars are NOT banned. It is just illegal to *drive* when over a legal threshold.

To be the same, you would be allowed to carry a gun in a bar but you would not be allowed to SHOOT it after you reach a certain threshold.

I always thought that it was common sense to never mix alcohol and guns.

Never said otherwise.

Are you suggesting that drinking and handling loaded firearms is alright?

Never said anything like that. I am saying that me carrying a gun in an area that other people are drinking is not a danger.

Guns in bars are not dangerous anymore than cars in the bars parking lot are dangerous. DRIVING after drinking, or SHOOTING after drinking are dangerous.... But me being sober with a car, or a gun is not dangerous.

Why not just use the DUI/DWI standards?

For example, I DO NOT drink and drive.... Period. So why should I NOT be allowed to carry a gun in a bar if I am not drinking?

Why not just use the DUI/DWI standards?

For example, I DO NOT drink and drive.... Period. So why should I NOT be allowed to carry a gun in a bar if I am not drinking?

Not really advocating; but see my post #41 above for some of the policy considerations to be weighed in the balance.

but see my post #41 above for some of the policy considerations to be weighed in the balance.

But the same thing could be said of not allowing people to drive to bars... Their judgement is impaired and they are more likely to drive home when drunk if they have a car.

The point being that a person who is not drinking is not more dangerous in a bar just because they have a gun.

Do I support carrying a gun while drinking? No. Do I think a guy that has a glass of wine with dinner should be allowed to carry? YES. Do I think a guy that is not drinking should be allowed to carry a gun in a bar? YES.

The problem is ALCOHOL, not the location.

But the same thing could be said of not allowing people to drive to bars... Their judgement is impaired and they are more likely to drive home when drunk if they have a car.

In all fairness, I think the two situations are a little different.

Most people would be willing to try and get the keys away from somebody who is about to do something stupid, like driving a car drunk.

How many would be willing to struggle with somebody trying to get away their gun when they are about to do something stupid, like shooting drunk?

The problem is ALCOHOL, not the location.

No, it's the location, too, for the reasons I specify in my Post #41 above.

IHOP seems to give loonies with guns conniptions, too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In all fairness, I think the two situations are a little different.

Most people would be willing to try and get the keys away from somebody who is about to do something stupid, like driving a car drunk.

Look at the SITUATION presented, don't add on additional situations till we have ironed out the original situation.

And to answer your point.... Yes, people have gotten into fights over trying to take a persons car keys.

But the point remains, what DANGER is a totally sober person with a gun?

IHOP seems to give loonies with guns conniptions, too.

Seems the current laws failed to work

He had at least one previous encounter with the law. He was taken into protective custody by South Lake Tahoe police during a mental health commitment in April 2000. He fought with officers during the incident but was not charged.

GCA of 1968 would not allow this person to own a weapon.

But the point remains, what DANGER is a totally sober person with a gun?

Generally more of a danger than a totally sober person without a gun. But in the grand scheme of things, not much of a danger.

Thought we were discussing mixing alcohol and firearms and the very contrived examples both pro and con. Most can agree that a drunk with a gun is slightly more dangerous than a drunk with car keys.

Most can agree that a drunk with a gun is slightly more dangerous than a drunk with car keys.

Negative. Drunk drivers killed about 26,000 people last year in America. There were about 9,600 homicides with guns. So drunk drivers are about two and a half times more deadly than people with guns. And the drunk drivers don't even intend to kill anyone, while the murderers are actually trying to do so.