StreetScooby

Looking for good books to read...

Any novel by Marcinko :)

Any of his novels before Green Team.

If you like that sort of thing, try Force Recon Diaries, 1969. There is also a sequel (1970) and they're non-fiction. Great reads the both of them!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I agree with Seal Team Six. Blink is a good book as well.

Born to Run

Any of the first seven Mitch Rapp books by Vince Flynn

Marcinko's Seal Team Six book. (not the fiction sequels)

Marine Sniper (about Carlos Hathcock)

Starship Troopers

Freakonomics

Gang Leader for a Day

Wingnuts

Idiot America

Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity

The Ten Things You Can't Say in America

(haven't read but have heard good things and they're on my amazon list)
Free Lunch
Perfectly Legal

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Just got back from vacation, and ending up reading the Senate's report on the financial crisis:

http://fcic-static.law.stanford.edu/cdn_media/fcic-reports/fcic_final_report_full.pdf

For a government report, I thought it was well done. Interesting read.

I'll endeavor to work my way through the many excellent suggestions contributed in this thread.
We are all engines of karma

wow and there was I thinking that you wanted a bit of light reading to while away a few dull hours between martinis

The main storyline is actually quite interesting, and thorough. The conclusions drawn by the Democratic majority reflect a pretty shallow analysis of what happened, IMO. The dissenting opinions did a very good job on their analysis.
We are all engines of karma

The Alienist by Caleb Carr

Fantastic historical fiction. Serial killer based in late 1800s NYC at the time Theodore Roosevelt was president of the police board. I read it a couple times a year, and reading it foe the first time about 12 years ago got me very interested in the time period and especially in Theodore Roosevelt.

The sequel Angel of Darkness is good as well, but not as grea. As th first one.
Killing threads since 2004.

Into social essay/commentary - then anything by Joan Didion. My faves are The White Album, Salvador, and The Year Of Magical Thinking. For the cynical/humorous slant - anything by P.J. O'Rourke. Also, Lost In The Cosmos by Percy, Age Of Missing Information by McKibben.

Into science/physics/cosmology - slightly outdated, but still one of my faves - The God Particle by Lederman. Also, Alice In Quantumland by Gilmore, Fear Of Physics by Krauss.

I could go on forever, . . . and I will, another time.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

wow and there was I thinking that you wanted a bit of light reading to while away a few dull hours between martinis:P

When you're drinking martinis, do you actually have a few hours between? ;) No wonder they're dull. :)

:D:D:D

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I'm also about to go on holiday and have just loaded my Kindle up with a bunch of Free Books from Amazon - some a classics (Tom Sawyer for example and some could turn out to be shite ... but they'll kill a few hours on the plane and sitting on the hill waiting for the thermals to kick in :-)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome