JohnRich

Armed Citizens

The bear had teeth and claws, which he was using with great effect, until he ran into the guy with the gun.

In defense for the bear, the bear was only doing what a bear does in his environment, his home. The campers were the intruders. They had zero reason to be where they were. The bear had every reason to be where it was. People need to stay out of places that they have no reason to be. Due to the stupidity of these people, one is dead, four are injured, and a bear is killed.
No sympathy for those who go where they have no business being. More sympathy for the animal that was killed in its own home.

uh, let's not go overboard here. The polar bear might walk many miles out of its way to get some dinner (people). People do have a right to exist as well. If the bears want all of the Arctic, they'll need to pay for it.

How in the hell do you put four slugs in someone from the distance of a car length and the LIVE!!!!?

Because, unlike Hollywood portrayals, guns aren't supernatural engines of destruction that blow people 15 feet through the air and instantly kill them.

Just like the realty agent said..."location, location, location".
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The polar bear might walk many miles out of its way to get some dinner (people).

True.
From what I have read, the campers were in an area known for polar bears and during a time with food being scarce. The fault lies with the people who arranged this outing. I do feel for those who were injured and for the person killed. They probably had little idea what they were walking into. I'm also sorry for the bear.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

hey had zero reason to be where they were. The bear had every reason to be where it was. People need to stay out of places that they have no reason to be.

Yeah, sure. Much better to sit at home playing x-box and eating twinkies than get out and experience what the planet has to offer. What were those kids thinking, straying outside their safe, sanitised urban environment?:S
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

hey had zero reason to be where they were. The bear had every reason to be where it was. People need to stay out of places that they have no reason to be.

Yeah, sure. Much better to sit at home playing x-box and eating twinkies than get out and experience what the planet has to offer. What were those kids thinking, straying outside their safe, sanitised urban environment?:S

I dunno. More importantly, what are they thinking NOW?

If you don't want to get run over, don't play in the street. Simple as that.

"The attack took place on the Svalbard archipelago, which is home to about 2,400 people and 3,000 polar bears"

So...let's all go to your yard to play and shoot you when you object to it. Hmmmm...makes sense in a way, right?

The kids paid the price for going along with a stupid adult idea.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

By all accounts, they were in the wrong place at the worst time. Someone failed to do their research beforehand.
From info at a Svalbard website, bears outnumber people. The bears were there first and the locals appear to respect the fact that they are below the bears on the food chain. Can't blame the bear for doing what it has always done.
Neil Young

Can't blame the bear for doing what it has always done.

Can't blame the people for refusing to be Purina Bear Chow®, either.

I'm someone had a gun and was able to use it as this could had been far worst than it was. Sad event for the people and the bear.
Neil Young

I've never had to insure a business but I assume there must be some way of claiming compensation from somewhere for events outside of your control. A lot of home insurance does cover theft so it stands to reason that the same could be arranged for business owners.

well, goodie. Why don't you go find it first before proclaiming that it must exist.

Good luck. The small business owner doesn't have that sort of free cash to spend on expensive insurance that doesn't even exist. Despite what dreamdancer would tell you, he or she is just trying to eek out a living.

In the US, I suppose you could write off the loss on your personal or business tax return. But that doesn't restore your livelihood.

Well because there's a market for it. An insurance company offering cover for damages and loses caused by rioting or large scale theft could make a killing by preying off the fears of small business owners, especially after what we've seen recently in England.

[insurance salesman]I understand that times are tough, but can you really put a price on peace of mind?[/insurance salesman] Not quite sure what dreamdancer has to do with this.

Maybe not, but would I be right in assuming the funds you'd gain from doing that would be enough to rebuild whatever business you owned?

Most of the businesses trashed during the G20 riots in Toronto last year have not gotten money for the damages they suffered. You're not listening -- insurance companies don't want to pay out for war or riots...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Relevance = what?

Have you heard any of them moaning that something should be done about the bears? Don't think so.

What was stupid? Going somewhere dangerous animals live? Is everyone who visits Yellowstone stupid?

There's also alien abduction/probe insurance.

You mean to say that you don't have alien abduction insurance???

:D

Okay all jokes aside, I was speaking from the perspective that if there's someone willing to buy something there will always be someone somewhere willing to take their money. While this is probably true for most things, I will listen to the various voices here telling me I'm wrong on this point. Forgive my youthful hubris.

edited because it would appear I can't spell

while no one has died as a direct result of the England ones over the 3 days they've been going on.

besides teh 1st shot which started all, 1 was shot dead, and 3 were crushed by a car
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

while no one has died as a direct result of the England ones over the 3 days they've been going on.

besides teh 1st shot which started all, 1 was shot dead, and 3 were crushed by a car

The first shot started a peaceful protest which the criminally inclined hijacked. The second shot may or may not have had anything to do with the riots but I've seen no evidence either way; people get shot in that area all the time. The three crushed by the car happened a few hours ago so I haven't had a chance to look into it yet. On top of all of that, investigators have determined that there's absolutely no evidence that Duggan fired at officers first :S

But hey, wasn't this supposed to be a gun thread?

But hey, wasn't this supposed to be a gun thread?

You are a sweet young virgin in SC aren't you?:P

In SC religion and gun threads have NOTHING to do with reasonable debate. They are slinging matches where people have entrenched and often extremist views with no middle ground.

Sadly some of the threads have the potential to be very interesting...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/04/26/florida.toddler.shooting/index.html?iref=obinsite

A toddler shot and killed his mother, the boy's father told South Florida police, who say they will talk to the 2-1/2-year-old.

The father, who called 911, told police he was trying to take the firearm away from the child when it discharged.

The boy's mother -- Julia Bennett, 33 -- was shot once in the back and died from the injury, said Miramar Police spokeswoman Tania Rues.

"What we do know is that last Wednesday, shortly after 7 o'clock, we received a 911 call from a gentleman stating that his 2-1/2-year-old son accidentally shot his mother -- the boy's mother," Rues told HLN's Vinnie Politan.

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Can't blame the bear for doing what it has always done.

Can't blame the people for refusing to be Purina Bear Chow®, either.

They didn't refuse. Quite the opposite. They boxed themselves up and put labels on saying, "Here is your breakfast! Come and get it!" You go into their house, you are their food.

You CAN blame the adults for not adequately providing the protections promised beforehand.

Known: Taking kids into a dangerous area.
Known: Weapons needed for protection.
Known: Bears are likely to be aggressive.
Known: Need to be vigilant 24/7.
known: The "protectors" allowed the bear to get a good taste of the chow before acting.

Relevance = what?

*whoosh*

What was stupid? Going somewhere dangerous animals live? Is everyone who visits Yellowstone stupid?

You missed the part of the article where weapons were taken to "protect" the group.

Shooting from the hip again, Jakee.

But to answer your off-the-wall question...
Yes. It's stupid to go somewhere dangerous animals live. One can minimize the negative results of that stupidity by means of protecting oneself in some way...and using it in a timely manner....preferably before someone gets killed. How complicated is that?

Relevance = what?

Have you heard any of them moaning that something should be done about the bears? Don't think so.

It matters a LOT on how one comports themselves when they do go to Yellowstone National Park or to the Olympic National Park or to any area where wilderness still has humans as part of the food chain unless one is very diligent. Far too many city folk have watched nature shows and see the nice cudly animals and I would bet the people who live there in polar bear country... do not act the same way those tourists did. I am very very careful when in such places with how food is handled how it is stored what I clean my hands on while cooking and I sure as hell do not take those items into my tent. I also do not go to areas with out the means to defend myself.

You missed the part of the article where weapons were taken to "protect" the group

And just like Mike, you're a crap psychic. Why do you think I missed that? Are you saying it's stupid to carry a gun?

Yes. It's stupid to go somewhere dangerous animals live.

Yeah, sure. Much better to sit at home playing x-box and eating twinkies than get out and experience what the planet has to offer. Have fun with that.

It's stupid to go somewhere dangerous animals live.

Gotta disagree on this one. That one statement, carried to its logical end would catagorize anyone who ever leaves their home as "stupid."

Besides the insanely low ratio of animal atacks to outdoor enthusiasts, "dangerous animals" come more frequently in the two legged variety. Better cancel that trip to the dz, cause chances are good that you'll encounter more dangerous animals doing that than going for a hike.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."