JohnRich

Armed Citizens

News:
Applebee's Diner Shoots Mugger

An armed man wearing a ski mask who tried to rob a woman outside the Applebee's Restaurant Sunday was shot by her boyfriend.

Anthony Hauser, 19, was shot four times by Raven Smith of St. Petersburg, and is hospitalized in serious condition at Bayfront Medical Center, police said.

Smith, 35, has a pemit to carry a concelaed weapon, police said Monday, and acted in self defense.
Full story: http://oldnortheast.patch.com/articles/applebees-diner-shoots-mugger

News:
Woman Shoots Alleged Abductor

At about 4 p.m., the victim claims her ex-boyfriend took her at gun point from her home on Northfield. Then put her in the passenger seat of her car and he drove, but his alleged plan back fired in less than a mile.

"As they took off and were coming down Raymar Road she was able to get into her purse where she had a small caliber hand gun and was able to use the handgun. She shot the assailant and was able to escape," Sgt. Crowson explains.
Full story: http://www.katv.com/story/15232028/bryant-woman-shots-alleged-abductor

The question is even if people were legally armed, would wholesale murder be the right way to go in response to what's going on? On top of that, you could bet that a fair few of the rioters would have guns too. It would be a bloodbath. Probably.

What is most striking to me about the London riots is people have no way to defend their property or livelihoods. The cops are just taking pictures... Incredible.

Yes.

A little different from some neighborhoods during the LA riots isn't it??

I'm referring specifically to some of the news footage of jewlery store owners in Koreatown defending thier stores from the roof with rifles.
Those stores didn't get looted.

Edit to add:

The question is even if people were legally armed, would wholesale murder be the right way to go in response to what's going on? On top of that, you could bet that a fair few of the rioters would have guns too. It would be a bloodbath. Probably.

It wasn't in LA.

There were lots of armed citizens defending their property.
They weren't looted.

And it wasn't a "Bloodbath".

Most fired warning shots at the looters that approached, who then ran.

Keep in mind the mentality of the looters.
They are having fun, roaming the streets, wrecking stuff and stealing.
They aren't protesting a political situation, they aren't revolting against the government, they're just out "hootin' and hollerin'" and having fun.

If they were presented with serious opposition (as they seem to have been in a few neighborhoods), they simply move on to easier, better targets. As they seem to have done.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

News:
Shotgun-toting teen defends mom, home from burglars

A 16-year-old boy used a shotgun to defend his mother from three would-be burglars, the Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office confirmed.

After a string of burglaries in the area, the boy and his mother were checking to make sure everything was intact on their property when they saw a vehicle approach, a Sheriff’s Office official said.

About 1:45 a.m., with the shotgun in hand, the boy confronted the three strangers who approached and told them to leave. Instead, they shot at him, and he fired back, hitting one in the leg...
Full story: http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/articles/alto-129700-monte-home.html

It would be very unlikely to result in a blood bath. The average legally armed citizen here in the US is not all that trigger happy. I am sure it wouldn't be that much different in the UK.

News:
Witness To Shooting Captures Suspect At Scene

A witness to a shooting in Skyway captured a suspect, handcuffed him and made him sit on the ground until deputies arrived on Saturday night, Eyewitness News reported.

The King County Sheriff's Office said there was an argument between two men over a drug deal. Both were carrying guns. "One guy was apparently quicker on the draw because the other guy got shot," said Sgt. John Urquhart of the Sheriff's Office. The shooting was in the parking lot of a U.S. Bank.

Urquhart said it was witnessed by a man who was there to use the ATM. He, too, had a gun -- and a pair of handcuffs. "When we got here, the shooter was searched, in handcuffs and sitting down on the curb..."
Full story: http://www.kirotv.com/news/28792794/detail.html

The average legally armed citizen here in the US is not all that trigger happy

You are three times more likely to be shot by the armed citizen than a LEO if you are a bad guy. For me personally, that number is much higher.
The future belongs to those of us still willing to get our hands dirty.

would wholesale murder be the right way to go in response

Defending your business from wanton thugs? Absolutely, IMO.

I, personally, disagree. I think that once you are prepared to kill just for the sake of possessions you're on a slippery slope. It is a tricky one though.

News:
Polar bear kills teen in Norway

A polar bear attacked a group of British students camping on a remote Arctic glacier as part of a high-end adventure holiday, killing a 17-year-old boy and injuring four other young people Friday before a trip member fatally shot the bear...
Full story: http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2011-08-05-polar-bear-killing-norway_n.htm?csp=34news

It would be very unlikely to result in a blood bath. The average legally armed citizen here in the US is not all that trigger happy. I am sure it wouldn't be that much different in the UK.

We'd be talking about armed roaming gangs of rioters and looters versus armed police (since I'm assuming guns for the police would be mandatory if they were legal and easily accesible for the general populace) and angry/scared business or home owners. People would be shot and people would be killed.

Then again, maybe the fear of a swift death would be deterrent enough.

News:

A witness to a shooting in Skyway captured a suspect, handcuffed him and made him sit on the ground until deputies arrived on Saturday night, Eyewitness News reported.

The King County Sheriff's Office said there was an argument between two men over a drug deal. Both were carrying guns. "One guy was apparently quicker on the draw because the other guy got shot," said Sgt. John Urquhart of the Sheriff's Office. The shooting was in the parking lot of a U.S. Bank.

Urquhart said it was witnessed by a man who was there to use the ATM. He, too, had a gun -- and a pair of handcuffs. "When we got here, the shooter was searched, in handcuffs and sitting down on the curb..."

I saw that story on the local news.... but how many people with concealed permits.. actually carry around hand cuffs too???

It wasn't in LA.

There were lots of armed citizens defending their property.
They weren't looted.

And it wasn't a "Bloodbath".

I was only 1 y.o when they happened but I've read about them, FWIW. It wasn't clear to me though, were the majority of the looters armed too or armed as well as the people defending their property? It should also be pointed out that 53 people died during the course of those over 6 days, while no one has died as a direct result of the England ones over the 3 days they've been going on.

We'd be talking about armed roaming gangs of rioters and looters versus armed police (since I'm assuming guns for the police would be mandatory if they were legal and easily accesible for the general populace) and angry/scared business or home owners. People would be shot and people would be killed.

Then again, maybe the fear of a swift death would be deterrent enough.

You are right about the fear of death being a deterrent.

Again, during the LA roits, there were armed police and armed citizens defending against the roaming gangs of rioters and looters (some of whom were armed).

Although there were deaths, it wasn't a "bloodbath".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots

Edit to add:

Once again, you posted somethng while I was composing a response. Yes, 53 people died. Over 2000 injured.

None so far in Britain, which is good.

But the looting is going on unchecked. Peoples lives are being destroyed. With no means to defend themselves or their livelihoods.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

News:

I saw that story on the local news.... but how many people with concealed permits.. actually carry around hand cuffs too???

USE YOUR SAFE WORD !!!
USE YOUR FUCKING SAFE WORD!!!

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Although there were deaths, it wasn't a "bloodbath".

Yes, 53 people died. Over 2000 injured.

So how many people does it take to make a bloodbath? Say what you like, but to me 53 sounds like more than a sinkfull.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Type faster :P

It honestly depends on what you consider to be a bloodbath. I consider the death of 53 civilians over 5 days when we're not in a warzone to be too many. That being said, something does have to be done. As some have said in another thread, baton rounds and tactical use of CS gas after a curfew has been called into effect may be the way to go. It would be the first time they've ever been used on the mainland but desperate times and all that.

In the spirit of staying more or less on topic with the thread, I'm definitely not against the idea of an armed populace in most situations. What I would hope for, however, is strict regulation of who has access to guns.

I think that once you are prepared to kill just for the sake of possessions you're on a slippery slope

Would I kill someone stealing my car? No, not even if the law allowed it. Would I kill someone ransacking a business that I spent my life building, that provides mine and my families livelihood? Absolutely, especially knowing the police would simply take pictures after the fact.
We are all engines of karma