nigel99

London is burning

Part of the problem is they're looting and steaming rather than traditional rioting. Water canon aren't licensed for use in mainland Briton, that means we'd have to ship them across from NI and also the tactics of the current looters denies large group targets for the cannon. As for the CS gas theres the same problem plus there are lots of non looters in the areas where it would be deployed. Liberal use of tasers would be effective though as would 'bean bag' rounds out of shot guns. If this goes on another night it maybe time for a curfew in strategic locations.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Part of the problem is they're looting and steaming rather than traditional rioting.

I laughed a bit. It's late. I'm tired.

The use of water cannons in parts of urban NI has proven very effective at stopping people doing things they're not supposed to be doing and in my opinion would work, especially in larger areas of open space like Clapham Junction which was on fire not too long ago. Like you said people are looting not rioting and I'm sure it's a hell of a lot harder to carry on of those 42" plasma HD ready TVs when you've got a couple tons of water to contend with. As for the CS gas, it could work in conjunction with your curfew idea. Publicise that any mobs about after X time will have some serious difficulty breathing for a while, that way when you deploy it you can say they were warned. All about how you define reasonable force.

Or maybe I'm just evil. My aim is non-lethal but temporarily disabling. And if it's a little painful then meh, shit happens. Maybe one of our resident cops could say what they think of all this.

And now another 4 cities. Remember the old military truism, once is accident, twice is co-incidence and 3 times is enemy action. It's not random, it's orchestrated. And now, spectators are getting in the way of police. Why? what do the police want to do. Me thinks we are looking at the British Spring.

And now another 4 cities. Remember the old military truism, once is accident, twice is co-incidence and 3 times is enemy action. It's not random, it's orchestrated. And now, spectators are getting in the way of police. Why? what do the police want to do. Me thinks we are looking at the British Spring.

I'm looking for a Moozlim angle to all of this. Somebody help me with this.

The Home Secretary appeared to rule out sending water cannon or the Army onto the streets of the capital, despite a third night of violence.

Speaking on Sky News, she said that police intelligence and the support of local communities would help quell the disturbances.

"The way we police in Britain is not through use of water cannon," she said. "The way we police in Britain is through consent of communities."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8690466/London-riots-Theresa-May-rejects-calls-for-water-cannon.html
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

In the bubble of the 1920s, the top 5 per cent of earners creamed off one-third of personal income. Today, Britain is less equal, in wages, wealth and life chances, than at any time since then. Last year alone, the combined fortunes of the 1,000 richest people in Britain rose by 30 per cent to £333.5 billion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8630533/Riots-the-underclass-lashes-out.html

The Home Secretary appeared to rule out sending water cannon or the Army onto the streets of the capital, despite a third night of violence.

Speaking on Sky News, she said that police intelligence and the support of local communities would help quell the disturbances.

"The way we police in Britain is not through use of water cannon," she said. "The way we police in Britain is through consent of communities."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8690466/London-riots-Theresa-May-rejects-calls-for-water-cannon.html

Could she be any more out of touch with reality?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

In the bubble of the 1920s, the top 5 per cent of earners creamed off one-third of personal income. Today, Britain is less equal, in wages, wealth and life chances, than at any time since then. Last year alone, the combined fortunes of the 1,000 richest people in Britain rose by 30 per cent to £333.5 billion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8630533/Riots-the-underclass-lashes-out.html

This isn't about poverty. The kids out on the streets in many cases are from middle class homes, theres middle aged people looting as well as the youth. This is pure criminality.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

This isn't about poverty. The kids out on the streets in many cases are from middle class homes, theres middle aged people looting as well as the youth. This is pure criminality.

+1

The police need to start coming down on these criminals HARD

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Could she be any more out of touch with reality?

What a silly cow>:(

Hug a hoodie, my arse!
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

here comes the cover up...

The man who was shot by police, sparking the wave of rioting that has hit London, died of a single gunshot wound to the chest, an inquest has heard.

Mark Duggan was killed by armed officers in Ferry Lane in Tottenham, north London, on Thursday after they stopped the minicab he was in to carry out an arrest as part of a pre-planned operation.

An inquest, which began on Tuesday morning at North London coroner's court, in High Barnet, heard that the 29-year-old father of four died of a single gunshot wound to the chest. He was pronounced dead at 6.41pm on Thursday evening.

Colin Sparrow, the deputy senior investigator for the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), told the brief hearing that the organisation's "complex investigation" could take four to six months.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/09/london-riots-mark-duggan-inquest

Its being investigated and the investigation will be scrutinised like no other since the 7/11 shooting, hows that a cover up?

Why do you just assume that there will be one?
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Had a chance to hear some analysis and detailed news.

Interesting points in no particular order

- Iran urges restraint in dealing with the protests:D I bet they have been waiting to be able to say something like this for years.

- Asian shop owner in tears on Radio 4, his whole livelihood destroyed. Interestingly he claims that no black owned shops were targeted only white and asian. The guy was really distraught 10 years of building a business to have it destroyed overnight.

- It appears a substantial number of rioters are school aged teenagers.

- video on BBC of an injured youngster being helped up by a group of youngsters and then subsequently mugged>:(

Finally to those people who have been mentioning the "targeting" of certain minorities. Realise that the UK police database is used to set markers on people, vehicles, addresses etc. If you have a criminal record of any sort you WILL be heavily targeted. My next door neighbours child is serving a 3 year sentence for GBH. I can tell you that prior to him being put away if there was any crime within 2 or 3 miles of us, you could guarantee that he would get a visit from the police. Yes he is black, but another kid on the block is also black and has never had a visit from the cops. The difference is the other kid is clean.

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

+1

The police need to start coming down on these criminals HARD

that's what set them off in the first place...

That's interesting because I've just heard on the radio that the use of plastic bullets has been authorised if riots continue tonight. I'll try and find a link.

:DI just watched the chief of police say on Sky how ill informed the media are. Plastic bullets went out of fashion decades ago according to him. He also lashed out at the media for demanding water canons, saying that they only work in certain circumstances (dense crowds etc).

16 000 police out and about tonight.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.