Iago

S&P downgrade US

Please go down to any of your local waterways in Houston... and take a nice big drink....mmmmmm now doesn't that taste like

The people in Houston have jobs (so far). They just need to open the water taps in their house to take a drink.

Riiiight

http://www.envirohealthhouston.org/hazards/water.html

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-170373848.html

Gee, you're jumping all over the place here. I'm not advocating pollution, nor do I condone it.

I just find it prophetic that those who live in it... think its good enough for everyone else too.[:/]

Political position of those silly tea baggers.. get rid of all those silly anti business regulations and agencies that try to keep people healthy... in spite of themselves...

Sure get rid of the EPA.. CDC.. OSHA... and on and on.. the KOCH Brothers are laughing at the stupid rubes who vote for their shills.

I just find it prophetic that those who live in it... think its good enough for everyone else too.

Huh?

You should follow your own posts more closely.. your oil biz buddy and all his fellow travellers that rely on all those pollution related jobs who force their families to live in the pollution pool

You should follow your own posts more closely.. your oil biz buddy and all his fellow travellers that rely on all those pollution related jobs who force their families to live in the pollution pool

Ok, I'll let you get back to your tree hugging/rock hugging activities. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
We are all engines of karma

Ok, I'll let you get back to your tree hugging/rock hugging activities. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

You are kinda funny:D:D

A lot of people paid the government for Social Security
Insurance.

If the government misallocated their funds the insured shouldn't be the ones who get screwed!

Social Security is an *entitlement* as those who paid in are *entitled * to their payout.

It isn't set up like that. It's a pay-as-you-go system. Everyone who paid into Madoff should receive their money back, too. Too bad that he couldn't keep his promises.

We're faced with the same situation. There were promises made by politicians back in the 1960's. There are only three of them left in office who made those promises. The rest of them simply aren't around to keep them anymore.

It's the way this has worked. Set up a system that works great in the beginning but cannot be sustained in the long run. Keynesians know this. Let me be wonderful and let the future deal with it.

It's pretty unfortunate that it cannot be sustained.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Insurance.

If the government misallocated their funds the insured shouldn't be the ones who get screwed!

Social Security is an *entitlement* as those who paid in are *entitled * to their payout.

***It isn't set up like that. It's a pay-as-you-go system. Everyone who paid into Madoff should receive their money back, too. Too bad that he couldn't keep his promises.

We're faced with the same situation. There were promises made by politicians back in the 1960's. There are only three of them left in office who made those promises. The rest of them simply aren't around to keep them anymore.

It's the way this has worked. Set up a system that works great in the beginning but cannot be sustained in the long run. Keynesians know this. Let me be wonderful and let the future deal with it.

It's pretty unfortunate that it cannot be sustained.

"Unfortunate" isn't the term I'd use.
I'd say criminal.

So all these people who were forced to pay a portion of their earnings for retirement insurance just get a big "I'm sorry we spent your money instead of investing or saving it"?

Is that OK?

I say it's not OK and it doesn't matter if the government agents who made the original contract are all gone, the contract was made with the government and presently it is still in existence.

The government can't legitimately not pay the 3 trillion or so it owes retirees this year or the escalating entitlement in future years.
Pay up or declare bankruptcy.
It is a legitimate debt .

Definately it should be paid before one more Federal Reserve Note goes to any foreign land.

Machetes and rubber necklaces is how this sort of thing has been dealt with in other cultures.
Tar and feathers is more traditional in the USA

"Unfortunate" isn't the term I'd use.
I'd say criminal.

So all these people who were forced to pay a portion of their earnings for retirement insurance just get a big "I'm sorry we spent your money instead of investing or saving it"?

Is that OK?

I think most people agree with you. The people who have already paid into the system should get what's theirs and a gradual push towards private retirement is the best option, so the government cannot control our/your retirement.

I think most people agree with you. The people who have already paid into the system should get what's theirs and a gradual push towards private retirement is the best option, so the government cannot control our/your retirement.

I would happily take back what I've paid in SS. My retirement concerns would evaporate.

>Spending cuts and reform need to happen before we even look at raising taxes.

BOTH need to happen NOW - and S+P just stated that since the republicans are unwilling to compromise, they have downgraded our credit rating. Until both sides are willing to give up their sacred cows it will continue to be a clusterfuck.

"We could lower the
long-term rating to 'AA' within the next two years if we see that less
reduction in spending
than agreed to, higher interest rates, or new
fiscal pressures during the period result in a higher general government
debt trajectory
than we currently assume in our base case."

"The political brinksmanship of recent months highlights what we see as
America's governance and policymaking becoming less stable, less effective,
and less predictable than what we previously believed. The statutory debt
ceiling and the threat of default have become political bargaining chips in
the debate over fiscal policy."

"In addition, the plan envisions
only minor policy changes on Medicare and little change in other entitlements,
the containment of which we and most other independent observers regard as key
to long-term fiscal sustainability
."

seriously, you can "QUOTE" the "ACTUAL STATEMENTS" made :S

or,

you can just admit that what they really mean is BV's stock statement that the S&P just blame republicans (only) for being recalcitrant

what are you thinking - quoting the text :S

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

1. Balance the budget only with spending cuts and program reforms. All future budgets must at least balance but surpluses highly encouraged.
2. Simplify the tax code and eliminate loopholes to provide surplus that can be used to pay off foreign owners of our debt.
3. Temporary across the board tax increase/equivalent benefits reductions to pay off more. If program does not produce additional revenue (likely), discontinue.

we have a winner

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

*cough cough*
Weren't these the same people that gave all those toxic assets a AAA rating only a few years back?

Hum...well I guess we have no choice...the president will have to do what was a long time coming. We will have to pull our boys out of Iraq and Afghanistan line them up shoulder to shoulder and walk them down Wall Street with a weapons free order of "If it looks like it's going to take your money and tell you it's safe in their hands shoot it below the belt."

I'm guessing we can maybe set up a few 155mm batteries on governors island to fire for effect on the lower part of the city and we can have the boys and girls of the first cavalry taking their apaches in to clean things up. Now if we could only get the A-10's to maybe strafe all the little trust fund babies in their boats as they try and escape to their beach houses? And just to get things rocking for TV get a few of our very sexy very hot very "OH FUCK YEAH" C-130 gun ships just flying around taking out trust fund babies as they run to the roof of their buildings?

Yeah I know it's not civil nor will it really solve any of our problems but there is this really old Persian saying that reads "YOU DUMB ASS, STOP BIGHTING THE HAND THAT IS FEEDING YOU!" *hint hint nudge nudge remember that tarp thing we paid to save your sorry asses after you told us those investments were perfect?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Here is how I see it going down?
First you have this guy who we will call The Dude and who has most likely never worked in a real job stand up and say
"Trust us we know how to protect your money and make you a bit more so you won't have to eat cat food when you are 65!"

And just as he says that you see these guys get a little....pissed off...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d1/I_Battery_2nd_Battalion_11th_Marines.jpg/800px-I_Battery_2nd_Battalion_11th_Marines.jpg

The Dude, "no really trust me and my good friends, these assets are a rocking! Look we gave them AAA rating and well it turns out they were shit and then you came and saved us!"

*Radio cracks...."fire for effect coordinates....."*
http://images.lightstalkers.org/images/772157/_MG_1319_mod_large.jpg

And then a little bit of
http://xbradtc.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/ac130.jpg

The Dude "Look so you are not AAA because you saved our asses and we thruned around and gave you an AA rating and you will most likely never retire...but we are doing it for your own good! And well we really need to be taxed less!"

And then...
http://www.military-today.com/helicopters/boeing_ah64d_longbow_l1.jpg

And so on and so on untill the walls of Wall Street are colored red by the bood of the Dude and all of his buddies.

Not saying that they were bad people or anything but well let's be honest what would you do to a dog that you saved from death and it turned around and bit your hand off? I love animals and I know I would put a few bits of lead in its head.

Just saying people...just saying....these markets exists and are keept alive by the will of the people for the people and well they need to be educated that the people are armed and just a little pissed off......that will be all.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The best part of getting an EMBA now is that all kinds of shit be hitting the fan.
Yeah I've read bits of that book.
What some of those guys did should be capital.

So....can we call some steel rain on some of these folks?

Hold on one second!

Insurance.

Yes they paid in to the system. They also elected the past 40 years worth of officials that pilfered their contributions.

You let the fox gaurd the hen house, you should be left with no hens.

But we know it won't work that way. Grandson and great grandson are going to get it up the ass from Uncle Sam thanks to the fantastic fiscal planning of Grandpa and Grandma.

Some legacy babyboomers.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

We all knew it was coming, so no huge surprise.

"If the US Government was a family, they would be making $58,000 a year, they spend $75,000 a year, & are $327,000 in credit card debt. They are currently proposing BIG spending cuts to reduce their spending to $72,000 a year. These are the actual proportions of the federal budget & debt, reduced to a level that we can understand." - Dave Ramsey

I like that take on the whole scenario. Maybe this will be the wakeup that people need to realize that we all need to make sacrifices across the board to get out of this mess. Its not just the government overspending, its also fueled by us voters supporting anyone who finds a creative way to give us more money, whether it be tax breaks, or spending programs. I've given 12 years and counting to the military and I'm facing a severe cut in my retirement, where is everyone else stepping up to make a sacrifice?

^^

Our political system currently operates on the basis of two parties offering economic benefits to ~50% of the population, and getting votes in exchange for those gimmes. We need to stop basing our votes on what's best for our individual ledgers and start basing votes on what's best for our country as a whole. As a wise man once suggested, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." Instead of pointing fingers at where other people should sacrifice for the deficit, offer up what you'd personally give. I just started a thread for such a discussion.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

>Spending cuts and reform need to happen before we even look at raising taxes.

BOTH need to happen NOW - and S+P just stated that since the republicans are unwilling to compromise, they have downgraded our credit rating. Until both sides are willing to give up their sacred cows it will continue to be a clusterfuck.

This. The downgrade was because the Congress just proved they are incapable of responsibly managing our economic problem. Both parties cater far too much to their voters and not enough to the greater good. Personally, I think the Republicans own most of that in the recent grandstanding, with the whole "don't touch my tax breaks until you've cleaned out welfare" thing, but the Democrats get some blame too.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

*cough cough*
Weren't these the same people that gave all those toxic assets a AAA rating only a few years back?

Give that man a cigar. S&P, along with Moody and the others, hasn't shown a reason to put much faith in them. Not that they're wrong to highlight what's going on, but it does have a bit of a grandstanding feel to it, no?

Yeah I know it's not civil nor will it really solve any of our problems but there is this really old Persian saying that reads "YOU DUMB ASS, STOP BIGHTING THE HAND THAT IS FEEDING YOU!" *hint hint nudge nudge remember that tarp thing we paid to save your sorry asses after you told us those investments were perfect?

And take that cigar back. TARP was a loan, in many cases forced (see Wells Fargo and JPM in particular), and the money came back.

Not that they're wrong to highlight what's going on, but it does have a bit of a grandstanding feel to it, no?

Absolutely it's grandstanding, especially at this point in time. The head of S&P is a liberal arts major. I would love to see what positions Soros took today, and I bet they were dialed in before S&P made their call.