dreamdancer

The Beast Is Starved: Welcome to the Next Great Depression

war or peace...

Since Reagan, Republicans have been on a “starve the beast” campaign – by which they mean eviscerate the government by taking away as much revenue as they can.

Starving the beast has been the biggest bait and switch con game that has ever been perpetrated on the American people. And the most tragic.

As Paul Krugman pointed out, Republicans offered popular tax cuts so that they could later cut popular government programs “as a necessity.” Oh, we’d love to continue providing low cost, effective medical care under Medicare, but you see, the country just can’t afford it … Of course we can’t. Billionaire hedge fund managers and Wall Street traders pay less in taxes than their secretaries. And most corporations pay little or no taxes.

Starve the Beast was coupled with a clever campaign to make government appear to be a collection of bumbling bureaucrats who wasted tax money for pure pleasure. Long after it became politically impossible to stereotype racial and ethnic groups (with the possible exceptions of Muslims) it was – and is – quite acceptable to characterize government workers as shiftless, lazy and incompetent.

As a result, once the Republicans succeeded in cutting government revenue to the bone and beyond, it became impossible to raise taxes – who wants to give any more of their hard earned money to a bunch of lazy bureaucrats?

Never mind that most big government programs are far more efficient than their private sector equivalents. That’s a mere fact. Can’t let that get in the way of starving the beast.

Bait and switch. Divide and Conquer.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/08/04-2
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

It's really interesting when FACTS are reviewed.

http://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/revenue_history

Check out the revenue when Bush took office - RIGHT AFTER THE MASSIVE CRASH OF THE DOT COM BUBBLE. Then add 9/11 to it. (I remember graduating from law school during that period and the economy sucked then).

Fact - Clinton left revenues lower than when he came in. Then Bush went higher than Clinton and crashed lower.

Note: when all you think about is how much money the government can squeeze from people, there will always be disagreement.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

war or peace...

Never mind that most big government programs are far more efficient than their private sector equivalents.

ahahahah
a
a
ah
ah
ahahhha ahha
a

omg I'm crying...
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

It's really interesting when FACTS are reviewed.

http://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/revenue_history

Check out the revenue when Bush took office - RIGHT AFTER THE MASSIVE CRASH OF THE DOT COM BUBBLE. Then add 9/11 to it. (I remember graduating from law school during that period and the economy sucked then).

Fact - Clinton left revenues lower than when he came in. Then Bush went higher than Clinton and crashed lower.

Note: when all you think about is how much money the government can squeeze from people, there will always be disagreement.

According to your link revenues increased between 1992 and 2000.
This site says the same thing.
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displayafact.cfm?Docid=200

Receipts as a percentage of GDP were highest in 2000. In terms of dollars the highest receipts were in 2007, which makes sense when you consider the amount of "money" moving about in a false economy at the time.

But when you think about it, income to the Treasury SHOULD increase every year under a healthy revenue system. Historically I believe that we assume to add about 100,000 workers/month into the system. Our population has also grown. We had about 227 million people in 1980. Now we're up to 308 million or so. So I don't get too alarmed when I see revenues to the Treasury increasing in a manner corresponding with outlays. However I do get alarmed when revenues tank and spending increases. That's doubly troubling (try saying that five times fast).

To address the OP, the "starve the beast" policy has been pursued by some Republicans for quite a while. Now that the beast is starved they are doing precisely what they wanted to do which is to attack entitlements, unions, EPA, etc. They got what they wanted and now they're in a feeding frenzy. The best example is the demand for fiscal responsibility during the debt ceiling debate only to turn around and walk out on a billion in revenue through the FAA debacle. Someone needs to call them on it.

Everyone campaigned on getting people back to work and improving the economy. But that's not where the focus is. But I'm not really surprised. How many Republicans want the economy to improve or unemployment to decrease in the next 12 months? I would love to hear an honest answer to that question from our elected officials.

The best example is the demand for fiscal responsibility during the debt ceiling debate only to turn around and walk out on a billion in revenue through the FAA debacle. Someone needs to call them on it.

Since it was the Dems that shot down the appropriations bill, why are you suggesting calling out the Reps on it?

I would love to hear an honest answer to that question from our elected officials.

Maybe you can start by asking Obama why he was demanding a debt limit increase that would last through the end of 2012...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Since it was the Dems that shot down the appropriations bill, why are you suggesting calling out the Reps on it?

Wouldn't have anything to do with the content of the bill would it? Both the D's and R's are to blame for the shutdown. It's just ironic that the same R's who would destroy our credit rating in order to make a personaly political stand about fiscal responsibility have no problem throwing thousands of people into the unemployment line and ignore a revenue stream.

I would love to hear an honest answer to that question from our elected officials.

Maybe you can start by asking Obama why he was demanding a debt limit increase that would last through the end of 2012...

Because he's smart enough to take that issue off the table for the election cycle. Practically everyone in Washington agreed that we needed to increase the debt ceiling but candidates won't be honest about that while they're trying to get re-elected. Also, that's when we're going to revisit the Bush tax cut expiration again. Might as well make it a package deal.

edited to add:

I'll ask you a direct question. Do you want unemployment to drop and economic growth to take off in the next few months?

Wouldn't have anything to do with the content of the bill would it? Both the D's and R's are to blame for the shutdown. It's just ironic that the same R's who would destroy our credit rating in order to make a personaly political stand about fiscal responsibility have no problem throwing thousands of people into the unemployment line and ignore a revenue stream.

No, that was Obama too...you remember; the bit about "I can't be sure those checks will go out".

Because he's smart enough to take that issue off the table for the election cycle. Practically everyone in Washington agreed that we needed to increase the debt ceiling but candidates won't be honest about that while they're trying to get re-elected. Also, that's when we're going to revisit the Bush tax cut expiration again. Might as well make it a package deal.

So it's ok if the Dems do it, just not the Reps?

edited to add:

I'll ask you a direct question. Do you want unemployment to drop and economic growth to take off in the next few months?

Sure I would. What's amazing is that you think the same old crap that HASN'T worked for the last 2 years will somehow magically work now.

This is what....the sixth time he's done a "hard pivot" to jobs? Seventh?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

... ignore a revenue stream.

Do you want the government to view everything as a revenue stream?

Revenues were being collected at about $30 mil/day.
Now those revenues are not being collected due to the shut down. That's a loss of revenue.

And they could still be collecting it if the Dems hadn't shot down the bill.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So it's ok if the Dems do it, just not the Reps?

I'm not following your perceived double standard.

edited to add:

Sure I would. ....

Good answer.

I'm not following your perceived double standard.

You're saying the Reps aren't acting because they want employment to stay low until the election cycle, and blaming them for the issues, while saying there's no problem with Obama punting the debt ceiling issue until after the election cycle.

Sure I would. ....

Good answer.

Nice snip of the REST of my statement...maybe you can answer it now?

"What's amazing is that you think the same old crap that HASN'T worked for the last 2 years will somehow magically work now.

This is what....the sixth time he's done a "hard pivot" to jobs? Seventh?"
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

... ignore a revenue stream.

Do you want the government to view everything as a revenue stream?

Revenues were being collected at about $30 mil/day.
Now those revenues are not being collected due to the shut down. That's a loss of revenue.

And they could still be collecting it if the Dems hadn't shot down the bill.

Sure, if the Dems had caved to the Republican demands then the FAA would be open. I've been hearing that argument a lot recently, especially from Boehner. If the Democrats will simply compromise their ideology and forget expecting the Republicans to compromise AT ALL then we wouldn't have these impasses.

Sure, if the Dems had caved to the Republican demands then the FAA would be open. I've been hearing that argument a lot recently, especially from Boehner. If the Democrats will simply compromise their ideology and forget expecting the Republicans to compromise AT ALL then we wouldn't have these impasses.

You mean the bill that DIDN'T have the union issues in it? Sounds like a compromise from the Reps, to me. It appears that your idea of compromise is exactly what you're falsely accusing the Reps of.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Whatever else, the word "compromise" in Washington (at least) only means the "other guys" have to move in my direction. Regardless of who's saying it.

But lately, especially the pres has been on that kick so much, I suspect everyone now knows that little trick. I'd like to thank the president for overusing that trick so blatantly - perhaps the voters will see more clearly now when their D and R statesmen are doing it too and call them out on it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Sure I would. ....

Good answer.

Nice snip of the REST of my statement...maybe you can answer it now?

"What's amazing is that you think the same old crap that HASN'T worked for the last 2 years will somehow magically work now.

This is what....the sixth time he's done a "hard pivot" to jobs? Seventh?"

It has been working. Growth has been anemic but it's still growth. We avoided a depression. We saved our auto industry and the jobs of hundreds of thousands of people who rely on it. A couple million jobs total by some estimates have been saved or created. Although it's admittedly hard to prove a negative. I think that's going to be tough for Obama next year. It's hard to run on "hey, look what didn't happen". It would be like me being a spokesman for Vigil. "Hey there, I love my Vigil....although I have no idea whether or not mine works."

But before we stray too far, none of this has anything to do with the "starve the beast" strategy that we're suffering from at the moment.