shermanator

fullerton california, police murder homeless man

I watched the press conference given by the Orange County DA.

During the press conference one injury came to light that hadn't been previously reported in the media or this thread and it's that injury, according to the DA and Coroner is what was really the cause of death; compression of the thorax. I heard that, in my layman's understanding of the situation, as broken ribs which didn't allow the victim to breathe properly and so he fell into a coma.

The original reporting all focused on the taser and the bloody condition of his head, but it appears as if it may have been dropping a knee on his chest or back a little too hard when restraining him.

I think the manslaughter charge is appropriate for the second officer, but second degree murder for the first seems a bit harsh if what I heard and understood it to mean was correct. On the other hand, I haven't seen footage of the actual moment. Who knows, maybe the officer did intend an injury more than restraint.

Will be interesting to see what happens during the court case and if the video is ever released.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

If, in your opinion, a LEO displays improper conduct towards you; you may be inclined to suspect that the LEO is an imposter, a fake, due to the improper conduct being displayed.
If you were to then cease cooperation, resist arrest and 'escape' to the nearest police precinct to report the matter.... could you then make a defense that you did not resist arrest because you had reasonable grounds to believe that the LEO was not a legitimate officer ?

"Officer, a moment ago I evaded arrest because I did not believe that rude thug was a real cop... so I'm here to report the matter."

Would anything like that "fly" in the U.S system ?

If the perps were indeed non-cops, yes.
If they were cops, then, nope not at all, IMO.

First, you'd have to escape without being run down and being beaten.
Second, you'd have to escape without being shot in the back.
Third, you'd have to go directly to a lawyer that would work out a deal for you to turn yourself in safely.
Fourth, you're making a mistake if you trust one cop to believe you over his buddy. You're talking thin blue line here.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If, in your opinion, a LEO displays improper conduct towards you; you may be inclined to suspect that the LEO is an imposter, a fake, due to the improper conduct being displayed.
If you were to then cease cooperation, resist arrest and 'escape' to the nearest police precinct to report the matter.... could you then make a defense that you did not resist arrest because you had reasonable grounds to believe that the LEO was not a legitimate officer ?

"Officer, a moment ago I evaded arrest because I did not believe that rude thug was a real cop... so I'm here to report the matter."

Would anything like that "fly" in the U.S system ?

If the perps were indeed non-cops, yes.
If they were cops, then, nope not at all, IMO.

First, you'd have to escape without being run down and being beaten.
Second, you'd have to escape without being shot in the back.
Third, you'd have to go directly to a lawyer that would work out a deal for you to turn yourself in safely.
Fourth, you're making a mistake if you trust one cop to believe you over his buddy. You're talking thin blue line here.

It doesn't matter if the cops are real or not. You have the right to resist an unlawful arrest and to use self-defense against excessive force.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.