wayneflorida

2 men suing woman they saved

She was to blame for the crash. It was a suicide attempt from an apparant "5poiled" girl in a hummer.

The dudes saved her and, from the article, received their own share of medical bills from injuries sustained during the rescue.

Yes I know. I read the article.

Bwaaaahhhhahahahah:D:D:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

She was to blame for the crash. It was a suicide attempt from an apparant "5poiled" girl in a hummer.

The dudes saved her and, from the article, received their own share of medical bills from injuries sustained during the rescue.

I posted why I'm siding with the rescuers, not giving you a rehash. :P

Since it's a toss up, who would you rather see win?

Seems like her life just got a bit worse:D

As it was a deliberate attempt to injure/kill herself I completely support the actions of the rescuers.

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Those guys didn't have a clue, it was an attempted suicide when they approached the wreck. They just did the right thing in rendering aid. They recieved injuries in the process, which is a part of the risk being a 'good samaritin'. If, they couldn't accept the risk, they shouldn't have done it in the first place. Also, had they known in advance it was an attempted suicide, does this mean they should not intervene and just let her kill herself? The whole thing is screwed-up. Getting recognized at a medal ceremony wasn't enough? What did those guys expect? What were they 'really' looking for?

Chuck

Those guys didn't have a clue, it was an attempted suicide when they approached the wreck. They just did the right thing in rendering aid. They recieved injuries in the process, which is a part of the risk being a 'good samaritin'. If, they couldn't accept the risk, they shouldn't have done it in the first place. Also, had they known in advance it was an attempted suicide, does this mean they should not intervene and just let her kill herself? The whole thing is screwed-up. Getting recognized at a medal ceremony wasn't enough? What did those guys expect? What were they 'really' looking for?

Chuck

yay, then the family of the "victim" could have sued them!

fuck your "sue happy"-mentality!
(not you as in YOU) :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

They blame her for crash that led to their injuries
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/08/01/2-men-suing-woman-they-saved.html

This is a toss up.
Heros, lady, lawyers.[:/]

Well maybe not.

I'm thoroughly disgusted by people that refuse to accept responsibility for their choices.

So what if she tried to kill herself?

They CHOSE to render aid. She isnt responsible for their choices. They could have left her to burn. It was up to them. They made a choice and they have to live with the results.
__

My mighty steed

Chuck

Whew! You had me nervous for a minute. :D Seriously, too many people looking for an easy buck. I'm with you... fuck your (not you) sue happy mentality.

Chuck

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/08/01/2-men-suing-woman-they-saved.html

This is a toss up.

Well maybe not.

I'm thoroughly disgusted by people that refuse to accept responsibility for their choices.

They CHOSE to render aid. She isnt responsible for their choices. They could have left her to burn. It was up to them. They made a choice and they have to live with the results.

at least where i live, it's an offense or whatever your lay-term is for that; "unterlassene hilfeleistung", meaining something like "failing to help". you'll go to a court for that.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Chuck

Whew! You had me nervous for a minute. :D Seriously, too many people looking for an easy buck. I'm with you... fuck your (not you) sue happy mentality.

Chuck

well, if i were to put my life in danger to help another person, just to find out the wanted to off themselves; i'd be MORE than pissed..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I posted why I'm siding with the rescuers, not giving you a rehash. :P

Since it's a toss up, who would you rather see win?

I would like the rescuers receive justice/help and they might if the car insurance will pay off or she is very rich.
They may get a favorable verdit but if she doesn't have any money/assets, that's all they will get.

The lawyers will win the most probably.

As to the article including all the facts of the case-doubtful.

The two rescuers should go after her doctor and drug companies if any.

well, if i were to put my life in danger to help another person, just to find out the wanted to off themselves; i'd be MORE than pissed..

I would be pissed too. It would still be my own choice.
Private citizens are not required by law to put ourselves in harms way to render aid, so its a freely made choice if we do so.
__

My mighty steed

Private citizens are not required by law to put ourselves in harms way to render aid, so its a freely made choice if we do so.

it is here. if you approach an accident, u're obliged to render help/first aid.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Really, now? Given that the court will almost certainly cap the lawyers' fee at approximately 1/3 of any recovery (and there may very well be no recovery), that is simply contrary to the fact of how it works. That is to say, in the real world, as opposed to the fantasies of your under-informed imagination.

The propaganda technique you've just used is called The Big Lie. People want to believe it's true, so that's all the fuel you need.

Really, now: stop making stupid shit up.

This is a toss up.

Well maybe not.

Sorry, but the "Rescue Doctrine" has existed in American jurisprudence since at least the early 20th Century...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_doctrine

...and possibly since the late 19th Century in some states.

I'm not sure (without looking it up) whether it has been adopted in the caselaw of every US state, but it has been part of the law of Ohio (where this occurred) for a very long time. See, for example, Pennsylvania Co. v. Langendorf 48 Ohio St. 316, 28 N.E. 172 (1891); Estate of Minser v. Poinsatte 129 Ohio App.3d 398, 401-402, 717 N.E.2d 1145, 1148 (1998); Reese v. Minor 2 Ohio App.3d 440, 2 OBR 534, 442 N.E.2d 782 (1981).

Sorry, but the "Rescue Doctrine" has existed in American jurisprudence since at least the early 20th Century...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_doctrine

...and possibly since the late 19th Century in some states.

I didn't mean that they had no legal case.

We CAN sue for a lot of things here and win the case.

That doesn't mean that its right to do so.
__

My mighty steed

it is here. if you approach an accident, u're obliged to render help/first aid.

Rendering aid is not the same thing as putting yourself at risk. And I would think that burning vehicles is a clear enough case of risk that there's no debating the difference.

Really, now? Given that the court will almost certainly cap the lawyers' fee at approximately 1/3 of any recovery (and there may very well be no recovery), that is simply contrary to the fact of how it works. That is to say, in the real world, as opposed to the fantasies of your under-informed imagination.

The propaganda technique you've just used is called The Big Lie. People want to believe it's true, so that's all the fuel you need.

Really, now: stop making stupid shit up.

I apologize if I offended you.
I need a bigger boat.

I am conflicted on this one...

They saved her life, and sure they didn't have to do so, but their lives were changed in the process.

They didn't save her with the premeditated motive of filing a law suit. They put their saftey aside to try to save her.

When a fire fighter or police officer gets hurt on the job we don't cut them loose with no support. We don't tell them, well thats what you signed up for, tough shit.

It is kind of a shit sandwich to tell these guys sorry you got hurt trying to save this woman, next time let her die and don't be a hero.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

The way I feel about it is, I see someone in need of help, I'm going to stop and see what I can do. If, I get hurt in the process, it's probably my own fault. As long as the person I tried to help is O.K. that's the end of it.
Each person handles different situations differently.

Chuck

I am conflicted on this one...

They saved her life, and sure they didn't have to do so, but their lives were changed in the process.

They didn't save her with the premeditated motive of filing a law suit. They put their saftey aside to try to save her.

When a fire fighter or police officer gets hurt on the job we don't cut them loose with no support. We don't tell them, well thats what you signed up for, tough shit.

It is kind of a shit sandwich to tell these guys sorry you got hurt trying to save this woman, next time let her die and don't be a hero.

Actually, that is the interesting conundrum in this ...

A PAID rescuer (police, fire, coastie etc..) if injured in the coarse of their duty would be looked after afterwards

BUT

An unpaid Good Samaritan (typically) would not.

Something seems very wrong in that equation - (cue call for more Insurance salesmen to step forward:P ).

So what should we do if we see an accident ... dial 999 (or 911 whatever) and stand back watching ???? - I HOPE NOT - do what you'd hope someone would do for YOU

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

The way I feel about it is, I see someone in need of help, I'm going to stop and see what I can do. If, I get hurt in the process, it's probably my own fault. As long as the person I tried to help is O.K. that's the end of it.

I agree personally, but I have long and short term disability insurance so I will get by if I get hurt. But what do you do when you are disabled by trying to help and you have nothing to fall back on.

It is an interesting idea. Most accidents are someones fault. Now you don't have to jump in the mix save some one, but I think most of us would be driven to regardless of the risk to ourselves.

You aren't driven to jump in to a burning car, if the driver drove straight home safely, instead of texting and driving.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P