regulator

Cop threatens to execute driver over concealed weapon permit

Ok so how do YOU know he was trolling for hookers..

It more that this thread gives him somewhere to rant while avoiding the screwed up government mess that he helped vote into office.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE you voted Bush into office... you deserve at least 3 lifetimes in purgatory for that... it should be fairly crowded there with you given there were millions of your fellow travellers who did the same stupid thing.

Cops were often called "peace officers" in those days. That's a term rarely used over the last 10 or 15 years, maybe longer.

Dude, you live in Texas. They're still Peace Officers in Texas. The CCP refers to them as such and the Officers refer to themselves as Peace Officers as well.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

When the dude saw the cop pull up, the thing he -should- have done was make the cop's job as easy as possible. Part of that would include informing him of the weapon. He didn't.

Did you watch the video? He tried a few times to inform the cop, but was pretty much told to shutup.

The cop was a huge douche, but I don't feel for the guy either, he was definately up to no good.

Leaving the cop's actions out of this, as far as the driver goes, if the DA wanted to really press the issue could the CCW holder be charged with a felony because he was carrying a gun while (from the looks of things) commiting a crime? Assuming that was a pimp 'n hoe he was picking up.

I'm not saying the cop should not get punished or anything, but as far as the driver is concerned he should get the police dept. to drop the current charges, get back his CCW and leave it at that. I wouldn't push it if I were him -- the whole pimps 'n hoes thing might come back to get 'em.

Disarm your citizens and let police officers do their job.

:P:|

That worked out well for you guys back in the 30's.:S

Yep. Like your prohibition at that time.

Dear, I don't know how old you are. I just know it's the year 2011.

:P

And here in 2011, you just shot down your own argument.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

AggieDave, is it SOP or good security practice to search the back seat (either sticking your head through the window or entire body) before searching, clearing or getting a warm and fuzzy from the driver? This is not a 4th Amendment question, it is a is it a smart idea question. Seems pretty stupid to me considering the guy was obviously up to no good.

Right. I'm sure he was just asking for directions. I'm sure it's all perfectly innocent because most street hookers are known for their subtlety and can frequently be mistaken for people that work at the local chamber of commerce information booth.

Are street hookers doing something illegal all the time, even if they're not on their back with their legs in the air? If a street hooker is in the grocery store at 10:00am buying food for her kids dinner can she be arrested for prostitution? At what point is a street hooker not just an ordinary citizen?
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

The cop didn't threaten the guy.

The police don't seem to agree with you.

From a police office blog:

After sitting through that, I have some questions.

1) Is it Standard Operating Procedure for Canton PD Officers to threaten to assault handcuffed and compliant prisoners?

2) Is it SOP for Canton PD Officers to search the back seat of a car with the driver not only still sitting in the car, but not even Terry frisked yet?

3) Is it SOP for Canton PD Officers to threaten the murder of handcuffed and compliant prisoners?

From another police officer blog:

I would actually consult with the city attorney to consider charges against the officer for terroristic threats made against the driver. As a street cop, I'm disgusted at this.

Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Golly Mike, you have me there because we all know that bloggers ARE the official ruling body of the world.

Police officer bloggers, Paul... which would qualify them as subject matter experts for the topic, unlike yourself.

Edit to add: Oh, and there's this little snippet from the Canton Rep:

"Canton’s internal affairs unit has investigated 16 complaints involving Harless dating back to 2000."
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

99% of cops are intelligent and good at their job, this would have been a non issue if this officer was one of that 99%.

This also would have been a non-issue if the guy hadn't been trolling for hookers and possibly if he would have made his situation more clear from the outset.

Just sayin'.

I can honestly say I've never seen a cop go apeshit for absolutely NO reason and it pretty much always takes two to tango.

Yes, you've never been pulled over for DWB, either. But you could get a million black men to tell you about it.

It's comical seeing you defend this guy, just because the victim was a gun owner.

Leaving the cop's actions out of this, as far as the driver goes, if the DA wanted to really press the issue could the CCW holder be charged with a felony because he was carrying a gun while (from the looks of things) commiting a crime? Assuming that was a pimp 'n hoe he was picking up.

No crime had taken place yet. I'll agree that the officers likely had PC given the time of day and the known hooker, but how can they prove the johns weren't asking for directions? There's even less evidence than the Catch A Predator entrapments where the guys are busted for planning to have sex with minors, rather than actually doing so. Any civil libertarian should have great issues here. And if you don't, move to Germany! We have someone here who will welcome and protect you.

AggieDave, is it SOP or good security practice to search the back seat (either sticking your head through the window or entire body) before searching, clearing or getting a warm and fuzzy from the driver? This is not a 4th Amendment question, it is a is it a smart idea question. Seems pretty stupid to me considering the guy was obviously up to no good.

Just a look in. No need to break the plane of the window unless there is something that is seen. On windows that are deep tinted, I like to ask the driver to roll them down for my safety.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

"Right now, the shit that you just pulled, I could blast you right in the mouth...I am so close to caving in your goddamn head"

It's not a threat of execution.

I'm still waiting to hear why you think the cop threatening to cave the guys head in
is not a death threat.

Because I don't take it literally, I seriously doubt he meant it literally either and even if he did, he said he was close to, not going to.

Let me ask you this, have you never used the phrase, "I'm going to kill you" as hyperbole?

Let's play a little thought experiment to see if this was a threat or some kind of meaningless hyperbole....

What would have happened if the roles had been reversed and the motorist had used this same sort of verbiage towards the cop?

Best case scenario the motorist is charged with felony assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, and a host of other crimes.

Worse case scenario the officer shoots him because he "feels threatened" and it is later exonerated as a good shooting.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

(To quade) It's comical seeing you defend this guy, just because the victim was a gun owner.

Ding ding ding!

If the victim had been a black, gay, atheist, liberal democrat, quade would be all over it protesting the cop's improper behavior. It's only because the victim was a gun owner that he thinks it's okay for cops to do this. Because, you know, no action is too harsh for those darned gun owners. It's one of the few classes of people remaining in America against whom it is still socially acceptable to discriminate.

the cop should never have put his head inside the car before securing the driver,
he could have had any number of weapons on him never mind a gun, and this idiot offers up his head on a plate. test him for steriods he shouldt be a cop if he cant control his temper and his sidekick neads a reaming for letting him act like that and not stepping in!

(To quade) It's comical seeing you defend this guy, just because the victim was a gun owner.

Ding ding ding!

If the victim had been a black, gay, atheist, liberal democrat, quade would be all over it protesting the cop's improper behavior. It's only because the victim was a gun owner that he thinks it's okay for cops to do this. Because, you know, no action is too harsh for those darned gun owners.

I'm going to start calling you "The Great Buck Howard" because clearly you ARE a mentalist.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ding ding ding!

If the victim had been a black, gay, atheist, liberal democrat, quade would be all over it protesting the cop's improper behavior. It's only because the victim was a gun owner that he thinks it's okay for cops to do this. Because, you know, no action is too harsh for those darned gun owners.

I'm going to start calling you "The Great Buck Howard" because clearly you ARE a mentalist.

You may call him pretty much anything but late for supper, but there does seem to be merit to his observation.

Ding ding ding!

You may call him pretty much anything but late for supper, but there does seem to be merit to his observation.

He's making an assumption and prediction about how I see every situation in the world when in fact I see almost every case of anything as being an individual case.

The problem with far too many people in the world is they see things as being black or white with no room for interpretation based on individual situations.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

He's making an assumption and prediction about how I see every situation in the world when in fact I see almost every case of anything as being an individual case.

The problem with far too many people in the world is they see things as being black or white with no room for interpretation based on individual situations.

Say all that though you may, in practice you appear as predictable as clockwork.

Let's play a little thought experiment to see if this was a threat or some kind of meaningless hyperbole....

What would have happened if the roles had been reversed and the motorist had used this same sort of verbiage towards the cop?

Best case scenario the motorist is charged with felony assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, and a host of other crimes.

Worse case scenario the officer shoots him because he "feels threatened" and it is later exonerated as a good shooting.

BINGO!! And therein lies the disparity of standards for the police vs private citizen. Not only should he be terminated, he should be brought up on criminal charges, and be compelled to answer for his actions in civil court. The guy is a loose cannon and makes decent cops' jobs that much more difficult.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

Small detail but did anyone else notice the cops drove right past a stop sign without stopping or putting on their lights? Typical cops thinking the laws don't apply to them.
Bigger issue: The cops pulled up to the car and started searching. What evidence of any crime being committed did they have? A car pulled over to the side of the road?? They didn't ask if they had car trouble. Didn't ask if they needed help. They just started searching. Sure, the chick was a known prostitute but unless there was a warrant for her arrest or she was out on parole/probation they had no right to assume a crime had been committed because of her presence.

Quade...do the words "If I see you out again I'm going to put lumps on you" mean anything? Sounds like a threat to me. Chick should press charges against the cop.

In states with concealed carry it would be so simple and save future repeats of this situation if, when making a stop, the cop would be required to ask "Does anyone have a weapon?" If anyone says they do they then cop needs to ask if they have a permit. It is normal for cops to ask if you have a weapon when they pull you over. This 'roid-raged asshole didn't. In fact, he made so many mistakes during this stop he knew he had screwed the pooch big time and was taking it out on the driver!
Hell, he isn't qualified to ask, "You want fries with that?" It is VERY scarry to think he has been driving around carrying a .40 cal Glock with his short fuse. It's only luck that he didn't kill someone.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Actually, being predisposed to violence (as demonstrated by his irrational behavior, superiority complex, and threats of violence in the absence of aggression toward him...and BTW, having the opportunity and means to carry out those threats would justify one private citizen shooting another in a self defense scenario; why shouldn't it apply to a psychotic cop?), his right to even possess firearms should be summarily denied. :|

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

A week ago you advocated taking away the constitutional rights of the mentall ill.
And now you are saying it's okay for cops to threaten to kill citizens who haven't done anything wrong.

You should learn to pick your battles a little more carefully.