regulator

Cop threatens to execute driver over concealed weapon permit

Among the pressures facing police officiers working the streets of America is the rising number of people legally carrying concealed guns. But when one such licensee was pulled over in Canton, Ohio, an officer threatened to shoot him on the spot. Here's the chilling video.
The arrest took place in early June, but the video only came to light today from a group called Ohioans for Concealed Carry. They had been working on behalf of the driver of the Pontiac Grand Prix, known so far only as William, who was arrested and charged in the stop.

As the 17-minute dashcam video shows, the two Canton police officers see the car pulled over in a neighborhood and detain a male passenger and a woman standing outside, whom the officers quickly identify as a prostitute. After telling the driver to stay put, they detain the male passenger and search the back of the car for a few minutes.

Only after that search does Officer Daniel Harless start questioning William, some seven minutes into the video — who then admits, when he can get a word in, that he has a concealed weapon, and tries to show Harless his permit. When he discovers William's gun in his belt, Harless instead becomes enraged: "You are supposed to say that right off the goddamned bat!"

Right now, the shit that you just pulled, I could blast you right in the mouth...I am so close to caving in you're goddamn head...you're just a stupid human being...People like you don't deserve to move throughout public. Stupid idiot."

After searching the car, getting worked up with his partner, and hearing from police dispatch that William does indeed have a legal permit to carry a concealed weapon, Harless comes back to the cruiser where William has been detained:

I swear to God man this little bull crap you just pulled right now has got me so hot. You know what I should have done? I'll tell you what I should have done. As soon as I saw your gun, I should have taken two steps back, pulled my Glock 40 and just put ten bullets in your ass and let you drop. And I wouldn'tve lost any sleep. And he would have been a nice witness as I executed you because you're stupid.

William was charged with two misdemeanor counts; one for stopping in the roadway, and another for failing to inform officers of his weapons.

After the video surfaced, the Canton police announced that Harless had been put on indefinite suspension last month, and the case forwarded to Internal Affairs. Ohio gun activists are raising money for William's defense. And the rest of us get to hope the next misunderstanding ends more amicably, rather than less.

http://jalopnik.com/5823543/cop-threatens-to-execute-driver-over-concealed-weapon-permit

Your thread title is misleading.

The cop didn't threaten the guy. He explained to the individual how fuckin' stupid he was for not informing the police officer about the gun and the very real possibility of what could have happened as a result.

True, the cop didn't exactly keep his cool, but it wasn't a threat of execution.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

And actually he DID threaten him...(basically) 'what I SHOULD have done was pull out my glock 40 and pumped 10 rounds into your ass'...if thats not being a threat...what is?

And like he gets extra credit or something because he can recite the model number of his pistol to a civilian.

In the end he just looks like a guy that has taken his job way to seriouisly.

some seven minutes into the video — who then admits, when he can get a word in, that he has a concealed weapon, and tries to show Harless his permit. When he discovers William's gun in his belt, Harless instead becomes enraged: "You are supposed to say that right off the goddamned bat!"

I'm sure that if he had interruped the officer in the performance of his duties and hollered "I've got a gun!", that things would have gone much better.

And actually he DID threaten him...(basically) 'what I SHOULD have done was pull out my glock 40 and pumped 10 rounds into your ass'...if thats not being a threat...what is?

Replace the words after "should have done" with "had a refreshing beverage."

No threat.

By definition can't an active threat only refer to actions in the future?

I mean, unless you think the cop has access to a time travel device.
quade -

No threat.

I mean, unless you think the cop has access to a time travel device.

OK, so if you cut me off in traffic, and then I get out at the next light and tell you what a dumb son of a bitch you are for driving like that, and I tell that what "I should have done was pull out my glock 40 and pumped 10 rounds into your ass", you will be perfectly alright with that, and not feel threatened because I am talking in the past tense, and I don't have a time machine?

Give me a break!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

No threat.

"Right now, the shit that you just pulled, I could blast you right in the mouth...I am so close to caving in your goddamn head"
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Again, I don't think you can actually threaten somebody with actions you might have done in the past.

You may feel threatened for unknown actions in the future. I'll grant you that. But if what somebody says is in the past, then THAT threat doesn't exist.
quade -

I don't own a gun (My son owns enough for both of us) because I can't hit the sky with a gun and would probably just get myself hurt if I did. But I don't have a axe to grind with those who do, it's just not for me.

The idea of having a CCP and a gun on a traffic stop just scares me. What is the etiquette in this situation to not just be blown away by a cop having a bad day? One man in my city has been dusted by the police for just reaching for his wallet the wrong way. I have a friend with a CCP and "carries" and he doesn't seemed concerned but I've never had the opportunity to ask him about that. Any cops out there know?

Again, I don't think you can actually threaten somebody with actions you might have done in the past.

You may feel threatened for unknown actions in the future. I'll grant you that. But if what somebody says is in the past, then THAT threat doesn't exist.

You must be right, his behavior was completely non threatening. Perfectly acceptable for authority figure to act that way.

So anwser my question, you wouldn't be concerned at all of some one shouted the same things at you in an already tense situation.

I am sure you would be just fine with that, no need for the IA guys, he used the proper tense!
=P

No threat.

"Right now, the shit that you just pulled, I could blast you right in the mouth...I am so close to caving in your goddamn head"

It's not a threat of execution. Getting punched in the face, but certainly not the same as "pull out my glock 40 and pumped 10 rounds into your ass."

That's a different sentence altogether.
quade -

What is the etiquette in this situation to not just be blown away by a cop having a bad day? One man in my city has been dusted by the police for just reaching for his wallet the wrong way.

Same as any traffic stop.

Turn off your engine.
Turn off your radio.
Roll down your window.
Put both hands on your steering wheel at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions so they are visible to him at all times.

As soon as the police officer gives you a chance to talk, inform him about anything you're legally required to.
quade -

I don't own a gun (My son owns enough for both of us) because I can't hit the sky with a gun and would probably just get myself hurt if I did. But I don't have a axe to grind with those who do, it's just not for me.

The idea of having a CCP and a gun on a traffic stop just scares me. What is the etiquette in this situation to not just be blown away by a cop having a bad day? One man in my city has been dusted by the police for just reaching for his wallet the wrong way. I have a friend with a CCP and "carries" and he doesn't seemed concerned but I've never had the opportunity to ask him about that. Any cops out there know?

In CT I have no legal obligation to inform the officer that I am carrying a gun. That varies state by state.

Chances are if you are just pulled over for a speeding ticket they have no cause to search you, and if you have a poker face they wouldn't know and it would be a non issue.

I haven't had it happen but I would follow the same thing I have done on previous traffic stops before I owned a gun and had a permit. Communicate all movements to the officer, be as non threatening and predictable as possible!

Pull over to a safe spot for myself and the officer, windows all down, all dome lights on, car off, hand on the dash and wait for instructions.

I would tell the officer I have my concealed weapon permit and gun in the car or on my person. I would then wait for the officer to make requests from there.

Most departments have already been instructed on how to handle such event. Unfortunately just like any job there will be a few people who don't take the time to know the relevant laws or proper operating procedures.
=P

I watched the video once and this is how I see it.

Illegal search of car starting in the back seat. Maybe.

Threatening the driver. 10 rounds from his glock.

No miranda rights. Not sure necessary but driver was placed under arrest.

Threatening to arrest the driver in the future, even without probable cause.

Maybe cop had been to Iraq or A and suffers from PTS; Maybe on drugs; Maybe just batshit crazy.

Cop was out of line in this instant.
With respect to the majority of cops who are the good guys

What is the etiquette in this situation to not just be blown away by a cop having a bad day? One man in my city has been dusted by the police for just reaching for his wallet the wrong way.

Same as any traffic stop.

Turn off your engine.
Turn off your radio.
Roll down your window.
Put both hands on your steering wheel at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions so they are visible to him at all times.

As soon as the police officer gives you a chance to talk, inform him about anything you're legally required to.

Lets add to this:

Hang up your damned phone!

Yes, people continue to have their conversations on their cell phones on a traffic stop, amazingly enough.

As for the CCH thing, I think it is great when people say their a CHL (as it is called in Texas) and they have a weapon with them. If they have that license and their telling me about it right off the bat, then there is a very high likelihood that they mean me no harm. Not that I would have a high level of experience in regards to traffic stops...:D

What is annoying to me is when people hand over a CHL card and answer that they do not have a weapon with them when I ask. "Why not?" is my typical reply since it does them no good to be at home in the safe.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

you can argue tense all day long, but the fact remains the dude threatened him. first to cave in his skull( death) then to put 10 rounds in his ass (also death). and the article says it wasn't a traffic stop. says he was out of the car. and if the cop had done his terry pat before the search, he would've found the gun. sounds like he was looking for drugs. anyway about it, it was wrong and he should get reprimanded.
http://kitswv.com

What surprises me is when a guy is pulled over by a cop, does really stupid shit and then later complains about getting a roughed up or in this case "threatened."

The guy in this article was no saint getting pulled over for going 2 mph over the speed limit. He was trolling for hookers and got stopped by a cop.

Strike one.

When the dude saw the cop pull up, the thing he -should- have done was make the cop's job as easy as possible. Part of that would include informing him of the weapon. He didn't.

Strike two.

Yeah, maybe the cop did overreact a bit, but come the F on.

Don't go trolling for hookers with a gun and then make the cop work to discover it.

That's just f'in' stupid.
quade -

Allright Ive been pretty biased so far but how do YOU AND the cop know he was trying to pick up hookers....and the cop tells the guy he's lying at least 15 times. When if the cop had shut his mouth for a second and looked IN HIS DAMN HAND at the CHL license then this could have turned out differently. I'm not saying the driver was doing absolutely NO HARM...but with the cop just saying YOURE LYING after every sentence the driver says...it leads me to think the cop is trying to pin something on him. My father is a police office for over 30 years and after he transferred to the GCRS (gulf coast rescue squad) I've personally (I'm a licensed scuba diver and have assisted with some body searches in the past) and I can say I've never seen him become irate like this douchebag cop. Always professional no matter what the complaintant is saying or doing. Perhaps we live in a different time now.

Allright Ive been pretty biased so far but how do YOU AND the cop know he was trying to pick up hookers....and the cop tells the guy he's lying at leat 15 times. When if the cop had shut his mouth for a second and looked IN HIS DAMN HAND at the CHL license in his hand then this could have turned out differently. I'm not saying the driver was doing absolutely NO HARM...but with the cop just saying YOURE LYING after every sentence the driver says...it leads me to think the cop is trying to pin something on him. My father is a police office for over 30 years and after he transferred to the GCRS (gulf coast rescue squad) I've personally (I'm a licensed scuba diver and have assisted with some body searches in the past) and I can say I've never seen him become irate like this douchebag cop. Always professional no matter what the complaintant is saying or doing. Perhaps we live in a different time now.

I bet there is a private security firm out there that would LOVE to have a guy like that working for them...

>What surprises me is when a guy is pulled over by a cop, does really stupid shit and
>then later complains about getting a roughed up or in this case "threatened."

Well, here we have an example of two people doing really stupid shit, which often does not turn out well.

Consensus of LEO opinion I have thus far encountered in FL is, when the LEO asks you if you have a weapon tell him. When he asks for your CCP show him. In FL the LEO's seem to be aware enough to ask about weapons in the initial contact.

My CCP class instructor advised, volunteer nothing. I am not quite comfortable with that approach.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.