kasch

religious ponderings

btw, when are you gonna let be back in the Bon fire?
Or are you just gonna suck up all that drunk power, smart ass?

You do realize you do these things to yourself; right?

Continue down this path again and be prepared for the consequences.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

btw, when are you gonna let be back in the Bon fire?
Or are you just gonna suck up all that drunk power, smart ass?

You do realize you do these things to yourself; right?

Continue down this path again and be prepared for the consequences.

Thankfully, in the real world Christ neutralized the consequences of our misgivings. We all deserve censure, but through the Grace of God we live.

>Explain how it is possible to come to that conclusion without including 'everything' in
>the scope of the topic.

Same reason you can think the world isn't flat without understanding everything about geology, astronomy, atmospheric chemistry, orbital dynamics etc.

But what is there that you/we/I don't know that can render your/our/my current thinking a little...

...insignificant, dated or plain old wrong.

My sense of Deity falls not within our human culture and our understanding of it. My feeling and sense of deity falls within my surroundings and what it is that provides me with the sustanance of life.

Most religons seem to take all that for granted and is why I have no faith in them, and the nature loving faiths all seem to follow the oath of centering human beings as the primary reason for existance.

If anybody can steer me in the direction of a bonafide religion, that has a central focus of respecting our ecology and trying to find balance with our surroundings, I would be certainly interested.

None so far have had any sense of clarity at all.

Just nonsense and ambeguity usually, I find it difficult to believe that anybody takes any of it seriously at all, for the most part.

Atheism simply stating there is no deity without providing the actual rwason for this, is a lazy and arrogant approach for reasons I have already explained, multipule times.

Only knowing everything that is possible to be known can make this possible to be concluded.

Do you think there is room left for the possibility that the earth might be flat?

Not really, but the fact that I leave room for anything to exist leaves room for the possibility to exist that none of what we are told is correct...

I am pretty sure (99.999999999%) the earth is a sphere, I will put it thay way.

So you need not use it as an example any more and we can stick to the subject of there being a possibility of a deity of some description existing. or not.

What is the spark to life...?

That is the question here....

As an Atheist you should be able to answer that question, or you are justr another 'faither' putting 'faith' in what other people have told you...
Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul

If anybody can steer me in the direction of a bonafide religion, that has a central focus of respecting our ecology and trying to find balance with our surroundings, I would be certainly interested.

You might like the Unitarian Universalists. They're a pretty open-minded religious(?) community, which seems to have a focus on living in harmony with each other and our environment. Atheists, agnostics, and believers are all welcome.

You might like the Unitarian Universalists. They're a pretty open-minded religious(?) community, which seems to have a focus on living in harmony with each other and our environment. Atheists, agnostics, and believers are all welcome.

I mean that seems great and all, but it just sounds like you'd have to over-compromise and put up with all types of peoples' crap with an insicere shit eating grin on your face all the time...

I'd much rather live in harmony and still call eachother out on our bullshit...like Jesus, like family:)
How do you like the funk of that cheese?:P
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I mean that seems great and all, but it just sounds like you'd have to over-compromise and put up with all types of peoples' crap with an insicere shit eating grin on your face all the time...

I'd much rather live in harmony and still call eachother out on our bullshit...like Jesus, like family:)

Uh, Jesus is my family, not yours, and everything you think you know about him came from the people who killed him.

I call bullshit.

Uh, Jesus is my family, not yours, and everything you think you know about him came from the people who killed him.

I call bullshit.

Well I met your cousin a few years back, Cool dude...He invited me to the party...Hope to see you there!B|

I think most of the UU's probably call each other on any perceived "bullshit" rather than patronizing them with an "insincere shit-eating grin" when they disagree. But I think the general idea is living in harmony without getting hung up on silly details such as who/what Jesus was.

I'm not a member (there's no UU church in my area), but I've been to various UU churches a handful of times, and I like the community. Seems more philosophical than religious to me, and I would say they have a liberal bent, so of course it wouldn't appeal to everyone. I was just throwing it out there for Franky, because it sounded like something he might be interested in.

I think most of the UU's probably call each other on any perceived "bullshit" rather than patronizing them with an "insincere shit-eating grin" when they disagree. But I think the general idea is living in harmony without getting hung up on silly details such as who/what Jesus was.

I'm not a member (there's no UU church in my area), but I've been to various UU churches a handful of times, and I like the community. Seems more philosophical than religious to me, and I would say they have a liberal bent, so of course it wouldn't appeal to everyone. I was just throwing it out there for Franky, because it sounded like something he might be interested in.
The UU has a liberal bend much like a corkscrew has a turn :)
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

But I think the general idea is living in harmony without getting hung up on silly details such as who/what Jesus was.

I'm not a member

Apparently not...:P

?

I spend practically zero time being hung up on who/what Jesus was.

Edit: And to be clear, I meant within the church setting and their sermons. I'm guessing that individual UU's get hung up on various different things, as people do.

But I think the general idea is living in harmony without getting hung up on silly details such as who/what Jesus was.

I'm not a member

Apparently not...:P

?

I spend practically zero time being hung up on who/what Jesus was.

I just found it interesting that you had to single out Jesus and call it silly to iron out the details, especially when that is not the general idea.

I've had plenty of civil conversations about the diety of Christ with various people from different religions...it's interesting. We had no plroblem living in harmony without compromising our beliefs.

I just found it interesting that you had to single out Jesus and call it silly to iron out the details, especially when that is not the general idea.

Yeah, I should not have called it silly - my bad. I just meant that the UU church is more focused on the general philosophy of living a good life. From Christianity, they seem to take the idea of loving thy neighbor, without getting hung up on whether the person Jesus actually existed and/or whether he was the son of God... stuff like that. (While that may not be the general idea for you, it does seem to be for some people and some churches.) And I suppose that was the first example of "details" that popped into my head because Christianity is the main religion I hear arguments about, given that I live in a largely Christian society.

Our Unitarian Universalist Principles

Principios en Espanol

There are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Unitarian Universalism (UU) draws from many sources:

Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit;
Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

It seems to me that human beings and our connection with 'each other' are the focal point of that lot.

I am more interested in people that can understand that putting our ecology is just as important.

Learning to live in harmony ‘with our surroundings’ is the only way to ensure we can sustain our lifestyles and allow everything a chance to survive the ages.

Our surroundings include the complete spectrum of all things living and the resources between them that allow ‘us all’ to live. This includes in scope our entire universe and the intricate position we have within it.

Balance with nature I suppose, if we have a healthy environment then we have a healthy life.

Understanding that is understanding the importance of the origin of life, I feel it is somewhat impossible to understand all this entirely. So in yhe meantime we need to do what we can to respect our fellow earthlings.

There is always an achievable balance.

We consider ourselves intelligent though we will allow ourselves to destroy the very things that support us.

The rest of the animal kingdom seems to find balance, why are we so blind to it?
The very difference we have that allows us to overpower our surroundings and somehow place our own importance over that of our surroundings, is the same difference that allows us to take everything for granted.

Quite sad really, an afternoon in the wilderness is always a refreshing reminder of what life is really about.

It is for me anyway.
Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul

The rest of the animal kingdom seems to find balance, why are we so blind to it?

Sorry, that's an incredibly trite oversimplification, to the point of being completely wrong. The natural world changes, all the time, with or without our help - the make-up of the world's species was not in stasis before humans learned how to rub sticks together.

Evolution cannot see into the future, it is only influenced by what works right now. Sometimes that can mean a species fits quietly into an available niche, sometimes it might mean a predator becomes so much better than its prey (or vice verca) that it starts a perfectly natural cycle of boom and bust that can destabilise the whole local ecosystem.

In short, buggering up the world around us for short term gain may be a bad idea, but it's not somthing we do because we're unnatural, quite the opposite. It's what any other animal on the planet would do if you gave it the ability.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

It seems to me that human beings and our connection with 'each other' are the focal point of that lot.

I don't know. To me, the main focus seems to be "respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part," which includes humans and everything else. But that's probably just my perception because it's their one principle that I relate to the most.

The rest of your post made me think of the book Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. And, I don't know much about it, but apparently there is a "New Tribalism" movement that seems to have started in response to his book. Probably just a bunch of smelly hippies. :):P

Probably just a bunch of smelly hippies.

LOL, You are probably right but I will have a look into it none the less, thanks...
Ron Paul