jono

Oh the irony

Hmmm...interesting. I still hope he posts the whole story.

on May 5th,1985 Larry McAfee, a fledgling skydiver decided to take his motorcycle
for a ride with some friends to the North Georgia Mountains. It was a
beautiful , sunny, day.
Hours later, Larry would never walk,eat, or even breathe unaided again.
Larry was an avid outdoorsman. He was about 6'-6"
and around 240 lbs. A pretty healthy guy.
At a speed of about 10-15 mph, on a curve, Larry's bike suddenly went
out from under him. I don't know why. His head snapped back and the base of
his helmet crushed his top two vertebrae. There wasn't another mark on him.
Larry was instantly and permanently paralyzed from the neck down,by his
*safety* helmet.

So post it. It would be very interesting to hear of how a helmet caused a death.

Do you know of the hangmans' noose?

Yep. It was used by executioners to hang people. How is that relevent?

I think he's referring to a cervical fracture known as a "hangman's fracture", which some believe can be caused by the cervical spine flexing against the fulcrum of the edge of a helmet. It's the type of injury, for example, which was Dale Earnhardt's cause of death.

It's a specious argument: that something that has a 99% chance of helping you also has a 1% of hurting you - so that 1% is the reason why you don't use it. :S It's like the old "thrown clear of the danger" argument that some people use against seat belts: 99% of the time, it's a crock of shit.

To Dan: if you have hard data to cite, then cite it.

The Hangman's Noose Analogy -- A case report by the Naval Safety Center introduced this analogy in the early 1970's in a report entitled "The Cervicocranium and the Aviator's Protective Helmet."

The report reads: "The inferior edge of the helmet, when visualized as part of the continuous circle completed by the nape strap and the chin strap, forms a loop that can be likened to a hangman's noose. The analogy might be further extended to include the lesions made about the neck by the straps or the edge of the helmet, paralleling the abrasions and contusions that might be associated with a rope having encircled the same structures. When the know is situated at the side of the head, such a hangman's noose produces fractures of the base of the skull, tending to extend bitemporally through the basisphoenoid."

Referencing a specific case, they continued, "One interesting and compelling aircraft accident investigated by the Naval Safety Center, Norfolk, Va., served to emphasize the practical application of their theoretical exercise. A Navy A-4 jet aircraft experienced difficulties in flight which caused the pilot to eject at an altitude, attitude, and air speed that were within the operating envelope of the ejection seat. Supported by a fully blossomed functioning parachute, however, the pilot reached the ground severely injured and died shortly after the accident, as a result of a transverse laceration of the cervical spinal cord."

"The details of the investigation established that the energy responsible for the fatal lesion was transmitted through the helmet and its inferior edge, into the neck. A vertebral dislocation resulted, which in turn severed the spinal cord."

[reply most motorcycle accidents are caused by a lack of awareness of surroundings, the helmet directly causes a reduction in awareness by reducing hearing and vission. proven fact. the best way to reduce the chance of an accident is to use all tools at your dispossal to reduce the risk of an accident and that would mean not wearing a full face helmet.

In addition to reduced hearing and vision consider the lost stimuli which gives one the sense of "I'm going so damn fast I could die!
Full face helmets block the *wind on the face * effect.

Another problem with helmets is that on hot days the rider isn't able to shed heat as nature intended(through the top of the head) . This can cause serious fatique and even lead to heat stroke.

The greatest argument against helmet laws in my opinion is that most testing of helmets isn't done with full body cadavers but instead with just head forms.
To prove that a helmet is safe testing must be done with full body(imo).

Dale Earnheart wore a helmet.
It killed him.

What did Dale say just before the accident?
"Look Ma, no Hans!"

In 1993 the Cleveland Indians lost two pitchers during
spring training after the 150 H.P. speed boat they were in collided
with a three-foot-high wooden dock in Clermont Florida's Little Lake
Nellie at a speed estimated to be ~60 mph. One was decapitated, the
other died the next morning in Orlando with a badly shattered skull.
It wasn't the lack of safety helmets that killed them.

The autopsies showed that death was due to pier pressure.

I am not sure what kind of bug it was, all I know is my full face visor was full of yellow guts and it was such a huge smear that I was forced to pull over and clean my visor before I could continue on. Maybe all the open face lovers / none helmet lovers need to only stop for gas instead of stopping for gas and food. I guess they get their snacks along the way from all the bugs that fly into their mouths. But those bugs must hurt when they hit you in the face. I will never forget the day when one second I can see fine, the next second all I see is yellow bug guts. :S

Sure bugs, rain, hail, sand off of dumptrucks , dirt off of trucks carrying heavy equipment and chunks of tire all hurt.
None of them have killed me.

Here is something for you to think about considering the squashed insect on your visor.., what if a stinging insect becomes entrapped inside there with you? Will you be able to endure the pain and keep your wits while running along a 4 lane canyon interstate in heavy fast traffic?

Oh one more thing.., if you learn to breathe through your nose instead of your mouth insect ingestion won't be *too* much of a problem open faced or lidless. I have had insects go up one nostril but never both simultaneously.
On the other hand,
Do you know that in Oxacca, Mexico restaurants actually serve their willing patrons cooked bugs?
Yes I know that's true because I saw it on TVs' travel channel just the other day!
Also do you know that some lidless bikers have been known to yank the decoritive glass/plastic off of ceiling fixtures and lick off all the dead bugs at parties just to do it? That's gross(imo)!

[replyI am sure this MIGHT have been a secondary consideration when drafting the law but I think that the primary reason is to prevent death/injury for those to stupid to understand that it will help save your life or those that think they can AVOID an accident just cos they are a careful rider.

No, really..,
The sole purpose of the law is to save the insurers money .
It isn't about protecting riders anymore than seatbelt laws were enacted to save auto drivers/passengers lives.
These laws which are just one more attempt by the government to reward their corporate donors at the expense of the citizens freedom were not enacted with concern for your and my well being.
They were made law to discourage Free Citizens from riding motorcycles.
If the riding of motorcycles was made illegal tommorow(which is the ultimate goal of the insurers) , the insurance industry would throw a party!

Hmmm...interesting. I still hope he posts the whole story.

on May 5th,1985 Larry McAfee, a fledgling skydiver decided to take his motorcycle
for a ride with some friends to the North Georgia Mountains. It was a
beautiful , sunny, day.
Hours later, Larry would never walk,eat, or even breathe unaided again.
Larry was an avid outdoorsman. He was about 6'-6"
and around 240 lbs. A pretty healthy guy.
At a speed of about 10-15 mph, on a curve, Larry's bike suddenly went
out from under him. I don't know why. His head snapped back and the base of
his helmet crushed his top two vertebrae. There wasn't another mark on him.
Larry was instantly and permanently paralyzed from the neck down,by his
*safety* helmet.

So what makes you so sure he would not have broken his neck even without a helmet?
Even if it did contribute to his death, the extremely rare instance where it may cause harm is far outwieghed by the thousands of lives that area saved by helmets.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

[reply most motorcycle accidents are caused by a lack of awareness of surroundings, the helmet directly causes a reduction in awareness by reducing hearing and vission. proven fact. the best way to reduce the chance of an accident is to use all tools at your dispossal to reduce the risk of an accident and that would mean not wearing a full face helmet.

In addition to reduced hearing and vision consider the lost stimuli which gives one the sense of "I'm going so damn fast I could die!
Full face helmets block the *wind on the face * effect.

Another problem with helmets is that on hot days the rider isn't able to shed heat as nature intended(through the top of the head) . This can cause serious fatique and even lead to heat stroke.

The greatest argument against helmet laws in my opinion is that most testing of helmets isn't done with full body cadavers but instead with just head forms.
To prove that a helmet is safe testing must be done with full body(imo).

Dale Earnheart wore a helmet.
It killed him.

What did Dale say just before the accident?
"Look Ma, no Hans!"

In 1993 the Cleveland Indians lost two pitchers during
spring training after the 150 H.P. speed boat they were in collided
with a three-foot-high wooden dock in Clermont Florida's Little Lake
Nellie at a speed estimated to be ~60 mph. One was decapitated, the
other died the next morning in Orlando with a badly shattered skull.
It wasn't the lack of safety helmets that killed them.

The autopsies showed that death was due to pier pressure.

Dale Earnhardt's death was not caused by his helmet. Your assumption is based on the early reports of a basal skull fracture...which he did not have. He died from blunt trauma to the head, caused by several contributing factors.
HAMMER:

Like I said before, if you don't want to wear a helmet...fine. Then don't. Just stop spreading bullshit rumors and lies to justify your decision.
HAMMER: