jono

Oh the irony

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8268694 :S

Motorbike rider killed during a during a protest ride against the law for compulsory wearing of helmets.

How could you be so naive as to think that you are going to be ok NOT wearing a helmet whilst riding???
They don't call them accidents because you know they are going to happen you know!!
Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

There are two types of motorcyclists in this world.

1) Those who have crashed.

and

2) Those who have yet to crash.

I fall into the crashed category and yes I hit my head on the pavement. But I was wearing a helmet. So I survived the crash and live to tell about it. It does not take much of a blow to the head to severely injure if not kill you. Besides, don't the bugs hurt when you take one in the face? (one of many reasons why I always wear a full face).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

As a rider of 30 years I just can not imagine why anyone would ever rider without proper gear.

Personal choice my arse- think about the people that have to pick up the pieces:S

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

How 'bout just adult enough to weight the hazards and the benefits of riding without a helmet and making choices for myself.

How about not making people clean up you head innards or mopping up your face from the road. or puting your family through turmoil as you lay in a vegatative state in hospital, or make your family pay for rehab from the permanent brain injury that even a low speed accident can cause.
How about not subjecting the EMTs and LEO to your mangled head on the sidewalk?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

How 'bout just adult enough to weight the hazards and the benefits of riding without a helmet and making choices for myself.

Ok I'll bite. What possible hazards could come from wearing a helmet that would outweigh the risk of you coming off and having your brains physically overtake you when you hit the kerb (or whatever)?
Do they mess up your hair do?? :D
Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

How about using some common sense rather being to stupid enough to understand what happens in a accident. i now i am recovering after 5 days under and in surgery, this shit saves your life.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

So do I-but I mostly ride without. At different points in my life I have also elected to jump out of an airplane and run into a burning building. My choice, my responsibility. If you choose to always wear a helmet, more power to you-congrats-

there's room in the world for pussies too:P:P:P:)

You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Next thing you'll be saying is I'm an idiot for not wearing a helmet skydiving.

Tell you what. Why don't you make sure YOU put on all the pads, and helmets YOU want, and leave me to make the adult decisions I'm capable of.

Or do you want to pay my bills and wipe my ass for me?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

So do I-but I mostly ride without. At different points in my life I have also elected to jump out of an airplane and run into a burning building. My choice, my responsibility. If you choose to always wear a helmet, more power to you-congrats-

there's room in the world for pussies too:P:P:P:)

as much room as there is for morons apparently :S

not directed at you personally Mr Divot, just people like you
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Ok I'll bite. What possible hazards could come from wearing a helmet that would outweigh the risk of you coming off and having your brains physically overtake you when you hit the kerb (or whatever)?
Do they mess up your hair do?? :D

First off you guys are funny (you, shrop and squeak). You know what a mess a skydiving terminal accident makes right?

I wear a helmet on a bike whenever I am on the road, and would even if it was not the law. But I have riden lots of times off road on farms and there is nothing nicer than riding around in a pair of short, flip flops and a tee shirt on a hot day (Shrop, I realise that hot days don't exist in your world:P).

So the benefits of riding with no helmet have nothing to do with safety (no-one in their right mind could argue otherwise), but there is the ability to have the wind in your hair, and the feeling of really being out in the open. If I was riding a cruiser on a low speed route (30MPh), in hot humid weather like you get in the southern US states, I would seriously consider not wearing a helmet on some occasions.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

First off you guys are funny (you, shrop and squeak). You know what a mess a skydiving terminal accident makes right?.

I don’t skydive the public arena. the people that will attend to my body should i go in either at terminal or under canopy are people who make the same choices I made in jumping.
I personally don't give a toss if a helmet-less rider has permanent brain damage, or get's their head smashed open as long as is does not negatively impact on me, or other innocent bystanders, all for the sake of them wanting to feel wind in their hair (or lack of it) stand in front of a friggin fan if you're after that.
The "freedom" argument well that's a load of marketing bullshit, I've been riding motorbikes for over 30 years cant say that my "Freedom" has ever been enhanced by riding.:ph34r::ph34r: What a load of WANK.
Do what you want on your own private property, just don’t bring you moronic helmet-less selfish asinine arguments to the table. Take responsibility for your head and save others the expense of seeing your mangled remains of a brainless vessel should you open it up on the road.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

First off you guys are funny (you, shrop and squeak). You know what a mess a skydiving terminal accident makes right?.

I don’t skydive the public arena. the people that will attend to my body should i go in either at terminal or under canopy are people who make the same choices I made in jumping.
I personally don't give a toss if a helmet-less rider has permanent brain damage, or get's their head smashed open as long as is does not negatively impact on me, or other innocent bystanders, all for the sake of them wanting to feel wind in their hair (or lack of it) stand in front of a friggin fan if you're after that.
The "freedom" argument well that's a load of marketing bullshit, I've been riding motorbikes for over 30 years cant say that my "Freedom" has ever been enhanced by riding.:ph34r::ph34r: What a load of WANK.
Do what you want on your own private property, just don’t bring you moronic helmet-less selfish asinine arguments to the table. Take responsibility for your head and save others the expense of seeing your mangled remains of a brainless vessel should you open it up on the road.

Firstly to ensure there is no misunderstanding. By freedom I think of wind on face, hair blowing the breeze, bugs going in your mouth, nothing to do with rights and responsibilities.

Secondly as I pointed out in my first post, I wear a helmet and would even if it wasn't the law when riding on the roads.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

My friend is a doctor who specializes in emergency medicine. He refers to un-helmeted motorcyclists as "organ donors".

Sure beats being a vegetable which is what they call helmeted riders that hit their heads on the pavement above a certain speed.

There are good arguments on both sides hence why it should be left up to the rider. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

My friend is a doctor who specializes in emergency medicine. He refers to un-helmeted motorcyclists as "organ donors".

Sure beats being a vegetable which is what they call helmeted riders that hit their heads on the pavement above a certain speed.

There are good arguments on both sides hence why it should be left up to the rider. :)
:ph34r::ph34r: LOL there' are limited arguments against wearing a lid, there's OVERWHELMING arguments on the contrary
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Nanny State SAVE ME from myself!!!!!!!!!

How I shudder at the thoughts of having ridden my bike with no helmet as a youngster! Thank God for the Nanny State these days!

For the love of "I know what's best for you" why stop at helmets?
I'm picturing Michelin Man here. Titanium armor or something, why not????

:S

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

just don’t bring you moronic helmet-less selfish asinine arguments to the table.

His current "moronic, asinine arguments" has as much right to be on the table as any of your past "moronic, asinine arguments" have.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

How about using some common sense rather being to stupid enough to understand what happens in a accident. i now i am recovering after 5 days under and in surgery, this shit saves your life.

Ignorance is bliss to some folks - "ow - you're impeding my personal rights to be a cabbage" - 'Kin idiots

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome