jimbrown

10 years later

It's been 10 years plus since we sent you over there and still
the "greatest military in the world" hasn't been able to deliver a decisive victory in Afghanistan.

Your mom should have hired you a math tutor.

Blues,
Dave

When 10 years really does arrive maybe he'll post his 11 or 12 year thread:S

When the post was first done, I remember thinking WTF the Afganistan war started before 9/11! I had to go and check the dates (Oct 01).

Whether it's 10 years or 9, it doesn't refute his argument does it. No one in this thread has been able to do that so far.

Except he hasn't explained how whether we invade SA next week has anything to do with success or failure in Afghanistan.
Back on topic....
We've been fighting racism in the US for decades but it still exists if even in a small percentage of what it once was. Does that mean our attempts have resulted in failure? Do you not see success in what we have accomplished?
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

We've been fighting racism in the US for decades but it still exists if even in a small percentage of what it once was. Does that mean our attempts have resulted in failure? Do you not see success in what we have accomplished?

You see a parallel between the civil rights movement and the war in afghanistan?
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

You see a parallel between the civil rights movement and the war in afghanistan?

Yes.
Both are fights that will never be 100% finished with their objective.
In both cases their will always be some, like yourself, who claim failure unless the objective is 100% completed.
Both are a success in what has already been accomplished.
HAMMER:

They're both about human rights and opression...
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

It's been 10 years plus since we sent you over there and still
the "greatest military in the world" hasn't been able to deliver a decisive victory in Afghanistan.

Your mom should have hired you a math tutor.

Blues,
Dave

When 10 years really does arrive maybe he'll post his 11 or 12 year thread:S

When the post was first done, I remember thinking WTF the Afganistan war started before 9/11! I had to go and check the dates (Oct 01).

Whether it's 10 years or 9, it doesn't refute his argument does it. No one in this thread has been able to do that so far.

Actually it does. If his argument is based on a length of time and a goal and we're not at that length of time yet, the point is essentially moot.

Granted he could try and argue that in the time left we won't meet the goal... ;)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>Both are fights that will never be 100% finished with their objective.

Agreed. However:

There have been great strides in civil rights at least here in the US. In Afghanistan, they just go back and forth. USSR in control? US? US puppet? Drug lords? Taliban? If you don't like the current government just wait five years and it will change again.

In the US it was the oppressed minorities fighting for their rights. In Afghanistan it is a long series of foreign invaders trying to impose their own version of civil rights on people there.

>Both are fights that will never be 100% finished with their objective.

Agreed. However:

There have been great strides in civil rights at least here in the US. In Afghanistan, they just go back and forth. USSR in control? US? US puppet? Drug lords? Taliban? If you don't like the current government just wait five years and it will change again.

In the US it was the oppressed minorities fighting for their rights. In Afghanistan it is a long series of foreign invaders trying to impose their own version of civil rights on people there.

I would agree with that except the scope of this thread is about what has taken place in Afghanistan in the last ten years. I was comparing that to civil rights here in the US.
HAMMER:

Both are a success in what has already been accomplished.

haha, like the first strike in operation dessert storm, no casualtes they reported, 100% success...

Until investigative reporters, reported what actually happened.

I find it amusing that anyone actually takes the political spin seriously anymore...

Who was successful? OSL or GWB/BHO?

“This move is too little, too late,” said Ron Paul 2012 Campaign Chairman Jesse Benton. “When candidate Obama was running for the presidency, he campaigned largely on bringing our troops home, yet we are not only still in Iraq and Afghanistan, but we’ve expanded into Libya, Yemen, and Pakistan. Despite this purely political move, there will still be thousands of American soldiers in harm’s way by the end of this drawdown.”

Osama Bin Laden was very clear about his desire to suck America into a no-win war in the Middle East so they could pick us off over there,” continued Benton.

We shouldn’t allow Bin Laden to win from beyond the grave; we have fallen precisely into the trap he set for us – stretching our forces thin trying to nation-build and sending our men and women to fight without clear objectives. Afghanistan was the downfall of the Soviet Union. We must act now so it is not the same for America. It’s time to bring our troops home to defend this country.

Ron Paul
Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul

True enough. I had no objections to the war as unlike Iraq there was some validity. My honest opinion is that the US is a little gung ho and believes it can simply beat people into submission. They are learning the hard way that other nations have different views and ways of life that they don't all want to give over.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

How inconvenient to you that you would wrongly call out a fallacy. . .

It's not ad-hominem. I was never trying to refute any of his arguments in this thread. It's about his trollish posting style.

Uh huh. Would you like to try and refute any of his arguments or do you literally have nothing to contribute to this thread.

Nothing to refute what he said. It's how he said it. We've done what we needed to do. Time to get out.

Still makes you wrong.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

How inconvenient to you that you would wrongly call out a fallacy. . .

It's not ad-hominem. I was never trying to refute any of his arguments in this thread. It's about his trollish posting style.

Uh huh. Would you like to try and refute any of his arguments or do you literally have nothing to contribute to this thread.

Nothing to refute what he said. It's how he said it. We've done what we needed to do. Time to get out.

Still makes you wrong.

LOL, ok. Feel free to believe whatever you want to believe.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

If you all believe that it is the civilian leadership hamstringing the soldiers and not allowing them victory then you should be on the phone every fuckin' day giving your congressmen down the road.

I think the press is more of the issue, just as it's been since Vietnam.

My.., "Just as it's been since Vietnam" .

And still it's the same.

Yes I'm certain the press profits from these war endeavors.

I'm also certain other entities profit 10 times as much.

Peace,
TT

pretty funny shit coming from you, who has never contributed to any thread.

You posted 13 times in the thread on the cost of the Afghanistan war that I started.

You posted 13 times in the thread on the cost of the Afghanistan war that I started.

is this an example of your contributions? Another pointless one liner?

You started the Afghanistan war?
Pretty impressive. :)
HAMMER:

is this an example of your contributions? Another pointless one liner?

How is starting a thread which created a long discussion (and which I participated in) not contributing? Like I said, it was a thread in which you yourself posted several times.

Can you now explain how your claim that I have "never contributed to any thread" is not false?

Fair enough, I worded that incorrectly.

How is starting a thread which created a long discussion (and which I participated in) not contributing? Like I said, it was a thread in which you yourself posted several times.

Can you now explain how your claim that I have "never contributed to any thread" is not false?

you posted a whopping two liner in that one.

Consider me unimpressed, still. And suspicious that you're someone's ghost identity. Most of your posts are useless "+1" posts, or attack someone without offering any countering information.

you posted a whopping two liner in that one.

Consider me unimpressed, still. And suspicious that you're someone's ghost identity. Most of your posts are useless "+1" posts, or attack someone without offering any countering information.

Consider you unimpressed? Oh no!!

Fair enough, I worded that incorrectly.

NO NO NO !!! This is SC! You are not to accept any corrections about anything you post. Are you trying to destroy all the hard work people have put into making this forum the graveyard of all decorum that it has become?? You should be BANNED for such an act! :o
HAMMER:

Consider you unimpressed? Oh no!!

Try not to reply to Ad Hominem, it is used to get you to stop discussing the subject, corner you and to move the subject away from the point that they are unwilling to accept.

Then you will then be called a fringe lunatic.

Just stick to the subject; if people turn 'you' into the subject, they have something to hide.

The reality of all this (WAR) is only starting to get across to the American people (and the rest of the world), there has been an unprecedented amount of propaganda trying to ensure we ignore the harsh reality...

Don’t fall into the trap.
Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul