wayneflorida

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

I believe you were talking about telepathy? Irony score +10.

Not telepathy, sorry - or have you already forgotten what you wrote in post 118?

"Ok, I understand. You think it should exclude "brown" people?"
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You think it should exclude "brown" people?

Gee, I was *wondering* when you were going to play the 'you're a racist' game again - what took you so long, Mr. Moderator?

At no point was it an accusation. It was a question based on what you quoted. Notice the question mark?

CLEARLY the Founding Fathers had absolutely no issues with the concept of slavery based on skin color. Does it occur to you that it might be why only certain countries were listed?

Considering that much of the New World was "discovered" by Spain, don't you think it was a bit odd Spain wasn't mentioned? Especially when you consider the sugar, rum, slave trade?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You think it should exclude "brown" people?

Gee, I was *wondering* when you were going to play the 'you're a racist' game again - what took you so long, Mr. Moderator?

At no point was it an accusation. It was a question based on what you quoted. Notice the question mark?

CLEARLY the Founding Fathers had absolutely no issues with the concept of slavery based on skin color. Does it occur to you that that might be why only certain countries were listed?

What were the black populations of those "white northern european" countries? How many African nations existed at the time, and why would they list them if they did not consider the slaves to be citizens?

Looks like an attempt to "twist the intent of our founding fathers in pathetic attempts to make some sort of point", to me.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

What were the black populations of those "white northern european" countries? How many African nations existed at the time, and why would they list them if they did not consider the slaves to be citizens?

This is EXACTLY my point. They didn't list them because people of color, that is to say any color other than white, were considered sub-human.
quade -

This is EXACTLY my point. They didn't list them because people of color, that is to say any color other than white, were considered sub-human.

We're all aware of the prevailing view of the rest of the world at the time, Paul, you don't have to keep belaboring it.

Still waiting for the explanation of why they would list country of origin (if there was on existing at the time) for NON-citizens.

Of course, your NEW train of argument now makes it a GOOD thing that Divot 'twisted the meaning of the founding fathers' by INCLUDING the 'brown people' in his 'from many, one' post.

First rule of holes, Paul....stop digging while you can still see daylight.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And you might stop trying to find the pony. Hint; it's not in there.

I didn't bring up the subject of the countries listed; YOU did. If you can't handle the truth about why some countries were listed and the absolute implications of that, then that's on you my friend.

Why is it you can't admit what the Senator said had racist overtones?

Would that mean you're not a good Texan or Republican or something? Is that what you're afraid of?
quade -

Did he push it too far in his follow up statements and questions? Yes.

Was the original question valid? Yes.

Was any of the discussion race based? No. At most it involves cultural differences and misunderstandings by both.

The senator tried to make it too personal rather than just invalidating the legitimacy of the man's statements.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

A pony? With all the bullshit you've strewn around the thread, I figured it was a whole herd of longhorn cattle.

I didn't bring up the subject of the countries listed; YOU did.

Yes, I did - it shows that many PEOPLE came together to form a COUNTRY.

If you can't handle the truth about why some countries were listed and the absolute implications of that, then that's on you my friend.

So, you have documentation from the FF that says that they DIDN'T list any other countries because the inhabitants were sub-human?

Yeah, you're gonna need to go ahead and supply that.

Would that mean you're not a good Texan or Republican or something? Is that what you're afraid of?

Why can't you admit that you don't KNOW if that's why the Senator said what he did? Would it mean that you're not a good Californian or Democrat or something? Is that what you're afraid of?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That could be taken as a 'dig' on Americans living in the Southern U.S. If, you listen closely to someone from the South speaking, you can hear a bit of Scot, Irish accent. That's due to the fact Scot, Irish is their heritage. In some our Northern, mid-western states, there is bit of a Swedish accent and so-on. If, one 'tunes' their ear, folks with an accent aren't so hard to understand. It's called 'listening!

Chuck

It was meant to be a joke "for the most part". I live in Mississippi, and its not the folks with the accents that I can't understand. Nothing wrong with pronouncing stuff differently, but in some of the very "urban" and also very "rural" extremes, there are dialects down here that are virtually impossible to understand, and it goes beyond accents. It has almost evolved into a language of its own for that locality. I'm also an avid kayaker, and I run into some serious backwoods rednecks on some of these rivers that I just have to nod and smile when they try to talk to me, and its not just their accent.

CHOOT im Lizbetth:ph34r:

They FINED their children for speaking German on American streets.

Well, isn't THAT something typically German? :P

What's wrong with raising your kids bilingually? I've seen several Anglo-German couples in Ireland and England who spoke German (surprisingly most often mum) and Englis (most often dad) in public. I dunno if any of them fled East Germany, but hey, gratitude should have its limits B|

All but one of my grandparents were non-English speaking immigrants. Of course my parents were necessarily multi-lingual (English, Spanish, Italian and the somewhat strange Ybor City mixture of those three languages.) Although I know I communicated with my grandparents with little trouble when I was very young, our parents did not actively encourage (nor discourage, for that matter) us to use or learn Italian or Spanish. I now wish they had insisted.

I didn't bring up the subject of the countries listed; YOU did. If you can't handle the truth about why some countries were listed and the absolute implications of that, then that's on you my friend.

I think you are seeing things where they don't exist. For most normal U.S. Citizens, the issue is communications.

No one is saying you can't speak other languages, but you need to speak English too. It's about everyone in a country being able to communicate and erase divisions.

And while the U.S. does not have an official language, it's already been pointed out that to become a naturalized U.S. citizen, you need to be able to speak English well enough to pass the test administered by the department of immigration.

http://www.us-immigration.com/blog/check-list-when-applying-for-us-citizenship

Even the government understands this.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I think you are seeing things where they don't exist. For most normal U.S. Citizens, the issue is communications.

No one is saying you can't speak other languages, but you need to speak English too. It's about everyone in a country being able to communicate and erase divisions.

And while the U.S. does not have an official language, it's already been pointed out that to become a naturalized U.S. citizen, you need to be able to speak English well enough to pass the test administered by the department of immigration.

Hi Goose,
Funny that you should mention that,"while the U.S. does not have an 'Official' language..." I just wonder, what's the "Official" language of "France?" or "Germany"(Hi Crystal!!) or "Spain" or "England?" for that matter???? Wanna' try "Changing" one of those?? Just to note, back when this country first got started in Congress most of the people spoke English, however, there was a group from Penns' Sylvania (The Penns' Sylvania "Deutsch" not "Dutch" ) who spoke German. So to keep things on an even keel they decided to take a vote on which language they'd use in Congress. Well,....it was decided that they's speak and use "English" as their common language in Congress.....BY ONE VOTE!!!!! Other wise that dude speaking Spanish would be translating to "German!!!!" Funny how things like that go?? Who'd' a' thunk' it!!??
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

It's the concept of "Alles in Ordnung" as a Germanic meme. Everything must be in order, by regulation and at the correct time.

First: Cultural awareness. "Alles in Ordnung" means something different in German. It's just "Everything OK" or "She'll be alright" (in Oz). It's not a concept, even if you wish so.
Second: "The" Germans? (BTW: German and Germanic are not synonyms) It's a stereotype that Germans (or Germanics, if you like to) are all ass-tight folks who need everything to be regulated and in time etc. Just like the stereotype we all walk around in leather trousers and razor-brush hats, dancing silly Bavarian dances and chasing non-Arayan people whenever possible.
Third: There are quite a number of German people with Jewish, Polish etc ancestry who take offence when related to "Nazi" just because they are German citizens. Others come from families who fought the Nazis in the 3rd Reich and are also upset if labelled "Nazi" just because they are German citizens.

Please just read and think about it. Thank you.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

We had discussed this earlier.

Do you believe that the amount of fluency required to pass the English portion of the citizen requirements is enough to be able to testify in court?

I certainly don't. The vocabulary is ridiculously small.

By the way, the English requirement was racially motivated. Our founding fathers didn't see it as necessary.
Source; http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/historyonline/immigration_chron.cfm
quade -

We had discussed this earlier.

Do you believe that the amount of fluency required to pass the English portion of the citizen requirements is enough to be able to testify in court?

I certainly don't. The vocabulary is ridiculously small.

By the way, the English requirement was racially motivated. Our founding fathers didn't see it as necessary.
Source; http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/historyonline/immigration_chron.cfm

Not having taken the test, I don't know. I would assume that to pass it, you would have to know enough english to be able to communicate an idea though.

As far as being racially motivated, the past is the past. To fix the now, what do you think having a bunch of people that can't understand each other would do?

We already have ideology that separates the country. Now add language.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

All governement funtions SHOULD be in english.

Says who? You?

most americans that honor the country and pay taxes

F..k that. if he wants to speak in spanish is up to him... i bet you dont even pay your f...king taxes.
" THE SKY IS THE LIMIT "

All governement funtions SHOULD be in english.

Says who? You?

most americans that honor the country and pay taxes

F..k that. if he wants to speak in spanish is up to him... i bet you dont even pay your f...king taxes.

I will trade you tax bills if you want. I paid over 100k in total taxes last year, so yes I do get a say in this country and I do think if you live here you should speak english, respect the constitution, become an american citizen, pay taxes, and never fly another flag over the american flag. If you don't like it you should leave.

>and I do think if you live here you should speak english, respect the
>constitution, become an american citizen, pay taxes, and never fly another
>flag over the american flag. If you don't like it you should leave.

And here in the US there is no national language. In Louisiana there are government services available in French, in New Mexico they're available in Spanish. If you don't like that, there are plenty of countries with an official language that won't tolerate any others.

>and I do think if you live here you should speak english, respect the
>constitution, become an american citizen, pay taxes, and never fly another
>flag over the american flag. If you don't like it you should leave.

And here in the US there is no national language. In Louisiana there are government services available in French, in New Mexico they're available in Spanish. If you don't like that, there are plenty of countries with an official language that won't tolerate any others.

the question here is why should we tolerate it? why should our tax $s pay for the doubple and triple printing of everything? why would the ones that push to be more "green" be the ones promoting chopping down 2-3 times the amount of trees to print things in multiple languages?

>the question here is why should we tolerate it?

You don't have to. You can speak whatever language you like, or go to whatever country you like. The kicker is - so can other people. Freedom can be a bitch sometimes.

>why should our tax $s pay for the doubple and triple printing of everything?

Because that's what other states and towns have decided to do to save money and time, and to better serve their citizenry.

>why would the ones that push to be more "green" be the ones promoting chopping
>down 2-3 times the amount of trees to print things in multiple languages?

?? It does not take any more trees to print something in French as compared to English.