JohnRich

City: Keep parked pickup trucks out of sight overnight

News:
Coral Gables: Keep parked pickup trucks out of sight overnight

Starting this month, the city of Coral Gables, Florida, will issue warning notices to owners of pickup trucks who do not park their trucks inside their garages at night.

Since the 1960s, the city has banned people from parking their pickup trucks in their driveways or on city streets from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.

After Aug. 8, Coral Gables will start issuing tickets to people who violate the parking ban.

The city has resumed enforcement of this controversial law because last month, the Florida Supreme Court decided not to consider an appeal by Lowell Kuvin, who sued Coral Gables in 2003 after code enforcement officers cited him for parking his pickup truck on a residential street...
Full story: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/mh-gables-pickup-truck-ban-20110615,0,7836721.story

Something similar in our HOA; you can't have a pickup truck parked in front of your house that has a ladder or a logo on it unless someone is there doing work on your property.

So you can have some guy come over to fix your roof, but you can't invite him over for dinner.

The result of such ridiculous rules is that everyone ignores them, and thus they reduce the effectiveness of any such rule.

The HOA rule, IMHO, is also descriminates against self employed blue collar workers and tradesmen.

White collar workers only need one car, blue collar worker need a work truck, plus either a second car and secondary parking, or a garage.

If I am a self employed tax preparer that does taxes at my clients houses and my work vehicle is a nice swanky BMW, I can park it at my residence.

If I am a self employed roofer that own a F350 I need to buy a second car and figure out where to park my work truck.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Well, I'm not actually going to post a vote for a few reasons:

1 -- your poll only says they shouldn't be on the street. The article says they can't even be in your driveway! I agree with no vehicles on the street overnight, as it is in my HOA.
2 -- I recommend an option on the poll for the law to apply to all types of vehicles. Why discriminate against trucks? What if your regular vehicle is a truck? (without any company logos, I mean) Why not a law against foreign cars? Or cars with tacky color schemes? Or cars with only five pieces of flair?

My dad lived in a small city where no one could park on the street overnight because that's when the street sweepers and garbage collection trucks came through. Otherwise, the streets were too narrow for street parking and sanitation trucks. That's a law that made actual sense. Basing a law on the opinions about what a certain type of vehicle does to the overall "look" of a city is weak, IMHO.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Something similar in our HOA; you can't have a pickup truck parked in front of your house that has a ladder or a logo on it unless someone is there doing work on your property

I'm no fan of HOAs and their chickenshit rules; but in theory at least, HOA rules have a greater leg to stand on than similarly-acting zoning ordinances, because HOA rules are contractual in nature. There comes a point (vague though it may be) when zoning ordinances can get so onerous as to be unconstitutional; and at that point, ordinances are theoretically easier to challenge in court than HOA rules.

So, I guess tradesmen are not allowed to work between 7 p.m. to 7 a.m unless they have access to a garage that accommodates all their vehicles?

At one time, Ocean Grove, NJ chained the gate to the community from midnight Saturday to midnight Sunday and no vehicles were allowed in or out or operating on the streets.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

News:

Starting this month, the city of Coral Gables, Florida, will issue warning notices to owners of pickup trucks who do not park their trucks inside their garages at night.

Since the 1960s, the city has banned people from parking their pickup trucks in their driveways or on city streets from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.

After Aug. 8, Coral Gables will start issuing tickets to people who violate the parking ban.

The city has resumed enforcement of this controversial law because last month, the Florida Supreme Court decided not to consider an appeal by Lowell Kuvin, who sued Coral Gables in 2003 after code enforcement officers cited him for parking his pickup truck on a residential street...
Full story: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/mh-gables-pickup-truck-ban-20110615,0,7836721.story

One of the most popular vehicles among millionaires is:

The Ford F-150 pickup truck

I expect millionaires also have garages and their trucks have wheels instead of piles of bricks.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

News:

I expect millionaires also have garages and their trucks have wheels instead of piles of bricks.

one of the problems is that the garages are built to small for trucks to fit, if they want to ban trucks on the street they should have a code on the size of the garage that they must fit most trucks.

Something similar in our HOA; you can't have a pickup truck parked in front of your house that has a ladder or a logo on it unless someone is there doing work on your property.

So you can have some guy come over to fix your roof, but you can't invite him over for dinner.

The result of such ridiculous rules is that everyone ignores them, and thus they reduce the effectiveness of any such rule.

Same goes for the rental property we have in Aurora, Co.
Can't have a 'commercial vehicle' at the residence after 5pm. I use to get notices all the time because of a renter we had with a pick-up that had his company logo on the side.

The HOA would send ME a notice in Texas about a truck parked in Colorado...:ph34r:

I hear the meth lab down the block never gets any violations...of course he actually lives there and is a pretty scary d00d. :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

This is just messed up. So business owners who happen to live in the area can not park their vehicles on the public streets in front of their own homes because some PC people disagree with what may be written on the vehicle or may disagree with the vehicle type?

So much for a free country.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Well, it IS a Ford, once they break down, no point in keeping the wheels on it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

News:

one of the problems is that the garages are built to small for trucks to fit, if they want to ban trucks on the street they should have a code on the size of the garage that they must fit most trucks.

What's the point of being a millionaire if you can't build a garage big enough for your truck, Ferrari, Bugatti, boat, etc.? Heck, I even have a hangar for my plane.

Personally I don't want my neighborhood to be full of mobile billboards for businesses.

Personally I don't want my neighborhood to be full of mobile billboards for businesses.

That's meaningless unless you state how far you'd go with pushing your "want".

Is it your opinion that you don't like it?

1 - but that's the breaks as other people have the right to do as they wish with their property or;

2 - you'd join a home owners group of like minded people that have voluntary contracts in line with your wishes or;

3 - you'd push and vote to have the local government make it a law to force everyone else to comply with your desire on they should treat their own personal property

which is it for you, personally?

It's not cut and dried, someone ok with signage on nice clean trucks might have issues with the neighbors parking their RV in the front yard, or trash everywhere, etc. But for this scenario, let's say the trucks are all very nice, well maintained, clean....they just have signage on the doors/sides

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

BTW - in my neighborhood, we don't have side walks, and there are always cars parked in the street. I hate that. Kids end up walking either in the middle of the street, on on the lawns, etc. I'd like the street cleared personally. But I don't think it falls into government dictating it.

if neighbors actually took the time to 'know' each other, usually, the things can be resolved just by walking over and talking. But, no, citizens want gov to solve anything, so they skip the courteous stuff and go straight to pushing a law that would have been more simply fixed with a polite request.

hell - I had a little grit in my salad yesterday. Maybe instead of politely asking the waiter to replace it, I should have called 911, and then lobbied for a law to outlaw salad grit.

for the children

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

That's meaningless unless you state how far you'd go with pushing your "want".

Is it your opinion that you don't like it?

I already stated that.

And I don't have to do anything to push it, it was already a local ordinance before I ever moved there. Withstood a court challenge too. Keeps the riff-raff out (like skydivers).:P

BTW - in my neighborhood, we don't have side walks, and there are always cars parked in the street. I hate that. Kids end up walking either in the middle of the street, on on the lawns, etc. I'd like the street cleared personally. But I don't think it falls into government dictating it.

Is the street private? If paid for taxpayers, then the govt. certainly can dictate, just like they dictate speed limits, drive on the right, one-way, etc...