KidWicked

Cost of war in Afghanistan

The war in Afghanistan apparently costs $5.6 billion a month.

Is there anyone here who thinks that we should stay there and keep spending this money? It seems insane.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/05/31/karzai-criticizes-doubts-grow-cost-afghanistan-war-2043907824/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fpolitics+%28Internal+-+Politics+-+Text%29
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

Is there anyone here who thinks that we should stay there and keep spending this money?

I doubt it

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The war in Afghanistan apparently costs $5.6 billion a month.

Is there anyone here who thinks that we should stay there and keep spending this money? It seems insane.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/05/31/karzai-criticizes-doubts-grow-cost-afghanistan-war-2043907824/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fpolitics+%28Internal+-+Politics+-+Text%29

The cost of this war is a bargain at 1.2 million dollars per deployed US troop. What else could we possibly find to spend that kind of money on?

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/02/22/am-the-cost-of-a-soldier-deployed-in-afghanistan/

It's Bush's fault

Ding ding ding ding!!!! we have a winner.

Who was Bush more concerned with after 911?

In the grand scheme of things, it don't matter anyways. Iraq and Afghanistan will turn into even worst shitholes that they are now after we leave, and we will leave, be it sooner or later.

How much is freedom worth?

Freedom from what, or from whom?

If the place is that big of a threat, why don't we just use up some of these thermonuclear gadgets we have all bought and paid for, and turn the place into a big parking lot?

Don't like fighting in mountains? No problem, consider them flattened!

The biggest objection I have to waging war is the cost involved. This cost includes turning nice kids into worm food or cripples, as well as squandering resources we simply cannot afford.

To accuse the government of pissing away money like a drunken sailor is a gross insult to drunken sailors - drunken sailors quit spending when they run out of money.

We are a nation on which the concept of finesse is lost. I do not object to achieving results, but using brute force and ignorance to do so is not exactly the optimal approach.

BSBD,

Winsor

It's Bush's fault

Ding ding ding ding!!!! we have a winner.

Who was Bush more concerned with after 911?

In the grand scheme of things, it don't matter anyways. Iraq and Afghanistan will turn into even worst shitholes that they are now after we leave, and we will leave, be it sooner or later.

Bomb them back to the Stone Age, I say!

A pack of ladyfingers and half a dozen bottle rockets should do it.

I value Afghan freedom less and less every day, and it wasn't that high to start with.

The US can no longer afford to fix other people's problems without payment up front. With Bin Laden dead, what's left for us there?

I'm in Afghanistan as I type this, and I can see the money flying out the window.. Not only that, war can also be extremely profitable. One example...

At our camp, we have two different "internet providers", I use that term very loosely. Its around $100 per month for a satellite connection that is slower than dialup, and only works when the weather is prestine AND when everyone is not trying to Skype with their families. This is rare.

I could talk all day about waste of funds over here, but technically what I do is classified. Lets just say the government gives better medical care to the captured enemy than to the troops here.

My opinion is heavily biased from being in the midst of this conundrum, so consider this my $0.02...
In freefall, you have the rest of your life to figure out what's wrong. -Joe, AFF Instructor

How much is whose freedom worth, to who is paying for it?

Good question. I'd have just responded with a random quote of my own.

For that matter, if JR wants to beggar this country and its citizens to give a false 'freedom' to a country that won't fight for it themselves, then he isn't that free - he's just slaved to those others.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think that if we don't get Afghanistan to the point where it can reasonably self-govern, it will become a terrorist training ground like none we've ever seen. There are still lots of ardent anti-Western Islamics all over the world. Currently, they have limited freedom to operate. If we give up on Afghanistan now, they'll move in and get to work. Once we leave it will twice as hard, and even more expensive, to go back. Either we fix it now, or we start saving up to reinvade in ten to twenty years.

- Dan G

The biggest objection I have to waging war is the cost involved. This cost includes turning nice kids into worm food or cripples, as well as squandering resources we simply cannot afford.

At what dollar limit do you say; "Screw it, freedom is too expensive, I would prefer to just live under tyranny." State your price.

Crippled is crippled. Deal with it.

I'm not crippled. Crippled implies uselessness, disposable, trashed, finished. I'm far from crippled.

I don't expect you to understand, and given your general disdain for anyone who's not you, I certainly don't expect you to care, but the word crippled pisses me off. It also pisses a lot of other people off. If you want to keep using it, be my guest, but I wouldn't walk up to a wounded warrior and ask him how it feels to be a cripple. You might get to experience the feeling yourself.

- Dan G

At what dollar limit do you say; "Screw it, freedom is too expensive, I would prefer to just live under tyranny." State your price.

The idea that the results obtained are somehow proportional to the money (or lives) thrown at a problem is the rub.

If you HAVE to engage in combat, let there be no quarter.

If you can finesse you way to the goal (please define quite what you mean by "freedom") without firing a shot, so much the better. The pentultimate ideal is to achieve your overall purpose peacefully (at least for us) and turn a buck in the process.

If we could engage in combat at a profit, I would be less opposed to resorting to warfare as a matter of course. The reality, however, is that the greatest victories tend to leave the victor bankrupt.

With our government adopting a Third Reich playbook (Godwin be damned, "Homeland Security" is indistinguishable from the work of Herr Doktor Josef Goebbels), I lose track of quite how pissing away $ trillions trying to kill or tame ragheads serves to ensure my "freedom."

Don't get me wrong - if every last islamist were to simultaneously drop dead of natural causes, I would be greatly relieved. Unfortunately, the same is true of TSA.

There are only two requirements for terrorism to succeed: terrorists and pussies (and the terrorists need not actually exist).

Thus, to defeat terrorism, the approach must be twofold as well: kill terrorists and don't be a pussy.

BSBD,

Winsor

I'm not crippled. Crippled implies uselessness, disposable, trashed, finished. I'm far from crippled.

I don't expect you to understand, and given your general disdain for anyone who's not you, I certainly don't expect you to care, but the word crippled pisses me off. It also pisses a lot of other people off. If you want to keep using it, be my guest, but I wouldn't walk up to a wounded warrior and ask him how it feels to be a cripple. You might get to experience the feeling yourself.

Well, in fairness, I wouldn't walk up to anyone and ask them, "How does it feel to be " unless they just won something and it was congratulatory.

Crippled is crippled. What you read into it is your business.

I am sick to death of people who try to come up with an endless of series of "kinder, gentler" words to describe whatever, only to have each successive term take on the exact connotations of the term it replaced.

The guys with whom I was hospitalized, who had their spines blown out and massive, irreperable damage done by high explosives, were not "challenged" or "impaired" - they were crippled, and it sucked.

It pisses me off when someone medevaced after a firefight is described by some newscaster as "injured." A sucking chest wound is not an injury - it is a wound and there is a difference.

If you want to take offense, so be it. I find mincing words to be every bit as offensive, and I endeavor not to do so.

b.t.w., having beaten an iron lung and spent many months in a wheelchair and on crutches, I don't have to ask.

BSBD,

Winsor