JohnRich

Incandescent Light Bulbs Banned

So when the mileage or emissions standards for vehicles are toughened do you call it a ban on less efficient cars?

If fed.gov said "Automakers can no longer produce or import vehicles with a combined mileage less than "x", yes. What part of "so the law will prohibit making or importing them" did you have problems comprehending?

It has been years since I have been here but it is nice to see that the camps haven't changed much. :P

So, did you deliberately misconstrue statements *then*, as well, or is this a new thing for you?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

There is no 'ban' only tougher standards. Guess what happened? People made better bulbs.

Yes, yes, but you can see how that's not as "sexy" a thread title.

"Light bulb technology improves a bit", doesn't fit the "government bad" narrative.

"Conventional light bulbs don't meet those goals, so the law will prohibit making or importing them."

Sorta sounds like a ban to me.

In fact, the bill, signed by President Bush, only sets standards for light bulbs and does not ban all incandescent bulbs, only inefficient ones.

Poor attempt - I know you can do better than that.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Without using Google, if you broke a CFL bulb right now, what would you do?

Now picture someone not as bright as you breaking one.

I've never considered using Google to break a light bulb. Interesting concept.

In fact, the bill, signed by President Bush

Who cares who signed it - besides you, that is.

, only sets standards for light bulbs and does not ban all incandescent bulbs, only inefficient ones.

That is correct - in fact, it's very clearly stated in the OP as well as the linked article - perhaps you should have read either before your 'poor attempt'.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

In fact, the bill, signed by President Bush

Who cares who signed it - besides you, that is.

, only sets standards for light bulbs and does not ban all incandescent bulbs, only inefficient ones.

That is correct - in fact, it's very clearly stated in the OP as well as the linked article - perhaps you should have read either before your 'poor attempt'.

So you agree that it isn't in fact a ban, just a requirement for manufacturer's to make a more efficient product.

So you agree that it isn't in fact a ban, just a requirement for manufacturer's to make a more efficient product.

What part of "so the law will prohibit making or importing them" are you having trouble with, John? I'll try to use smaller words and shorter sentences.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Without using Google, if you broke a CFL bulb right now, what would you do?

Sweep it up and throw it out.

For general edification, here's how it's supposed to be done:

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/promotions/change_light/downloads/Fact_Sheet_Mercury.pdf

How should I clean up a broken fluorescent bulb? 5
Fluorescent light bulbs contain a small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. When a fluorescent bulb
breaks in your home, some of this mercury is released as mercury vapor. To minimize exposure to mercury
vapor, EPA recommends that residents follow cleanup and disposal steps. A cleanup overview is described
below; please visit epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html for more information.

CLEANUP AND DISPOSAL OVERVIEW
The most important steps to reduce exposure to mercury vapor from a broken bulb are:
1. Before cleanup
a. Have people and pets leave the room.
b. Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor
environment.
c. Shut off the central forced air heating/air conditioning (H&AC) system, if you have one.
d. Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb.
2. During cleanup
a. Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder.
b. Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.
3. After cleanup
a. Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials outdoors in a trash container or
protected area until materials can be disposed of properly. Avoid leaving any bulb
fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
b. For several hours, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the H&AC system shut off.

I can see a lot of people not being quite so diligent on a few points.

>What part of "so the law will prohibit making or importing them" are you
>having trouble with, John?

OMG! You're right! They BANNED CARS! Quick, go get on FOX and tell people to start buying them!

Wow, I just did. Good job I got in quick!

So when the mileage or emissions standards for vehicles are toughened do you call it a ban on less efficient cars?

that depends on the legislation/standard we're talking about. Often they are effectively, and intentionally bans.

Some emissions standards changes were truly bans on two stroke engines. Good or bad, that was the effect of the cleaner standard. It's quite fair to summarize it as such.

I think the oil requirements of our country represent a national security threat, so I'm for aggressive increases in the mileage ratings (as well as requirement to include the fuel consumption rate gauge that only the hybrids seem to have in the US). But that will effectively kill off some categories of cars.
Europeans that live in the US love to get older American muscle cars because they have nothing like it at home.

Thank goodness there wasn't an internet when they required cars to start using unleaded gasoline.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Without using Google, if you broke a CFL bulb right now, what would you do?

Sweep it up and throw it out.

Optionally, you can call the EPA and have them red tag your house. It all comes down to personal preferences and risk management.

>Optionally, you can call the EPA and have them red tag your house.

If I did that they'd find all the lead acid batteries, the mercury in the old thermostats I have, the cadmium in the battery packs in some old RC models - they'd run out of red tags.

If fed.gov said "Automakers can no longer produce or import vehicles with a combined mileage less than "x", yes. What part of "so the law will prohibit making or importing them" did you have problems comprehending?

It has been years since I have been here but it is nice to see that the camps haven't changed much. :P

So, did you deliberately misconstrue statements *then*, as well, or is this a new thing for you?

In re-reading my post I'll acknowledge I phrased it poorly. What I should have said is do you consider tighter fuel and emissions standards to be a ban on automobiles in general? Incandescent bulbs have not been banned and, what a surprise, the industry has developed more efficient ones.

Do you just automatically go in to attack mode on people with whom you don't agree is that new for you?

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

CLEANUP AND DISPOSAL OVERVIEW
The most important steps to reduce exposure to mercury vapor from a broken bulb are:
1. Before cleanup
a. Have people and pets leave the room.
b. Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor
environment.

I can see a lot of people not being quite so diligent on a few points.

And guess what, they'll survive. I'm old enough to remember mercury thermometers and more than once played with the mercury from a broken one by rolling it around in my hand. Still alive and still have two and only two hands.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

If government banned the use of vehicles that do not get a good enough mpg people would be pretty pissed, muscle cars, even some bikes would be banned.

That does not make it right to ban them.

Agreed but there is a long way from banning the use of existing one to banning making new ones that don't meet the requirements.

And while the car aficionados out there are far better equipped to speak to their quality than I am I have noticed we still have muscle cars rolling off the assembly lines that must meet the current standards.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Yeah I definitely phrased that badly. I meant a ban on cars in general.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Europeans that live in the US love to get older American muscle cars because they have nothing like it at home.

Absolute statements like that are pretty much always wrong.

didn't say ALL Europeans, now, did I?

You didn't need to, did you?

didn't say ALL Europeans, now, did I?

The people from UK with here in the US have a VERY low opinion of US muscle cars (all the HP goes into the sound/noise) corner like shit, etc, etc. I am not a car person so my eyes glaze over when the topic starts but anyway.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.