jimbrown

Helmets

Show me where I said that.

I would like to know how to efficiently find someone's previous post.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

You can click on their userid on one of their posts, and on that screen click on "Show user's posts." That gives all of them, and you can find the latest one easily from there.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You can click on their userid on one of their posts, and on that screen click on "Show user's posts." That gives all of them, and you can find the latest one easily from there.

Wendy P.

Thanks Wendy.

Quade challenged me to find a specific post. I don't see any other way except reading posts one by one. Way too time consuming.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

My State, MO., does the slow course. The highway patrol officer sets the pace. It is very slow. Under 5mph. I just got my MC endorsement last year, although I've been riding on the street since '76 (I have more time on a motorcycle than I do in a car.) I passed the test 100%B|. She did say that very few people ever pass the slow course. Most try it on a big bike. I did it on my Fatboy.

Really?
I mean , I don 't want to sway you from your Faith but,..

A five mile per hour course?

Listen.., my spedometer doesn't even register that .

MY kids(1) ride faster than that on their Big Wheels(tm)!

Ya know..,
I'm sure that passin' that 5 mile per hour *safety course* was a watershed moment in your life but really ,
I doubt anyone riding at 5 MPH who wrecked without a helmet would be all Gary Bussey and shit!

I hate to say this but I'm thinkin' and I can't help myself..,

Seems to me that graduating the 5 mph course should almost automatically qualify you for a certificate as a" Most Excellent Rider" of the short bus!:)
Peace ,
Jim B

(1) Ok ! You got me!!! I don't have kids but if I did they wouldn't wear helmets when riding their Big Wheels!
Little munchkins ,Gods' little Angels from Heaven" would just have to walk it off when they get a five mile an hour Boo boo!

WTF!!!
Five miles an hour I don't even think you lose any skin!!!
The bigger concern is how much roadway tar has collected on your blue jeans!!!

5 MPH? :D:D:D!!!

Good Job!
You've sucessfully trolled me!

the point of the 5mph tests is that you actually have to balance the bike, not rely on the throttle or momentum. Anyone can go straight at 30mph, without any skill at all. It's the low speed manueving of a 400-700lb (you fat hogs) bikes that separates the bikers from the pretenders.

The license is a testament to my abilities and qualifications to ride that bike in a safe manner.

BWAHAHAHAHAHH!

No ace, they gave you a minimal license that allows other people on the road to cut you off, force you off the road and kill yourself.

Mr Quade, do you feel the same way about Electricians' Licensing requirements?
How about Law enforcement officer licensing requirements?
Restaraunt licensing requirements?

Do you believe that the state is lax in all off it's licensing requirements or only those regarding ther licensing of motorcyclists?

Peace,
Jim B

the point of the 5mph tests is that you actually have to balance the bike, not rely on the throttle or momentum. Anyone can go straight at 30mph, without any skill at all. It's the low speed manueving of a 400-700lb (you fat hogs) bikes that separates the bikers from the pretenders.

Of course at that hellasish speed of 5 miles per hour one could simply put their foot down to avert sure tradgedy!
My imaginary kids would merely stop pedaling their Big Wheels(tm)

Peace,
Jim B

Of course at that hellasish speed of 5 miles per hour one could simply put their foot down to avert sure tradgedy!

a great demonstration of skill.

Demonstration?
What do you have to proove and to whom?

Yeah, I'm thinkin' that only a retard would be proud of his 5 mile an hour motorcycle safety course certificate.

Of course I have been wrong before.

Peace,
Jim B

The license is a testament to my abilities and qualifications to ride that bike in a safe manner.

BWAHAHAHAHAHH!

No ace, they gave you a minimal license that allows other people on the road to cut you off, force you off the road and kill yourself.

Do you believe that the state is lax in all off it's licensing requirements or only those regarding ther licensing of motorcyclists?

Peace,
Jim B

Lets see, the MSF course approved for the license requirements in Texas takes about 8 hours on a single day and a single test. The training requirements for a Peace Officer in Texas is 17 weeks long with multiple tests, with a final test. It also has yearly training requirements and qualification requirements.

Right, they're exactly the same.

Oh 400-700lbs bike mentioned earlier? Try it on my 850lbs Honda ST1300. Try it slower than 5mph and try it turn stop to turn stop.;) Oh, to stay qualified as a motor, I have quarterly qualifications that I have to pass, over 6 courses that are exceptionally challenging to even the most experienced civilian trained riders.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

BWAHAHAHAHAHH!

Peace,
Jim B

Lets see, the MSF course approved for the license requirements in Texas takes about 8 hours on a single day and a single test. The training requirements for a Peace Officer in Texas is 17 weeks long with multiple tests, with a final test. It also has yearly training requirements and qualification requirements.

Right, they're exactly the same.

Oh 400-700lbs bike mentioned earlier? Try it on my 850lbs Honda ST1300. Try it slower than 5mph and try it turn stop to turn stop.;) Oh, to stay qualified as a motor, I have quarterly qualifications that I have to pass, over 6 courses that are exceptionally challenging to even the most experienced civilian trained riders.

OK Dave..,
You really are the best rider out there. Hands down!!!!!

Sorry you ride a Honda!

I believe that it is credit cards and cell phones responsible for this latest influx of non qualified riders.
Used to be you needed to also be a wrench to get anywhere.
So back to the threads original question about mandatory helmet laws.., what do y'all think..,
How about this idea..,
if you can demonstrate to the officer in the field that you can set your timing, have a piece of tin foil to wrap and reuse blown fuses, and know how to use a multi meter, no helmet is required?

Let's work on getting that law passed.

It's never quite that easy is it fellows.

Ok.., One reason to always keep a helmet with you!

So you can place it 50 yrds or so back from where you broke down.
Yes young bucks , that means the dude needs some help.
When you see the skull bucket on the side of the road it is common courtedy to slow down, stop, and see if you can help.Not everyone has a cellphone.

Peace,
Jim B

Not the best rider out there, but very highly trained with training I wish civilian riders could get.

Anyways the last fatal I worked was a rider who headbutted a sign going about 40 with no helmet. Needless to say it killed him. I'm sure he was a decent rider, but having a BAC that rivaled a good rate for a car loan...well, I'm sure that didn't help.

There was another one I worked where a rider on a souped up GXR-1000 headbutted a suburban. The suburban pulled out in front of him and the driver said she didn't see him. I believe her since the speed estimate for the bike was around 100mph when he rounded the sight distance curve. He was able to get it down to the mid-30s before he hit the suburban. It crushed the rear, hitting on the C-pillar and spun the large SUV 3 times. He was wearing a full face helmet, but it cracked open from the impact. His face cracked open too right at the sinus cavity and a significant portion of his brain continued down range about 100ft.

A helmet probably would have saved the first one's life. Rider training and some riding-sense may have saved the second.

He was able to get it down to the mid-30s before he hit the suburban. It crushed the rear, hitting on the C-pillar and spun the large SUV 3 times. He was wearing a full face helmet, but it cracked open from the impact. His face cracked open too right at the sinus cavity and a significant portion of his brain continued down range about 100ft.

So wait a second here Dave.

He got his speed down to about 35 and his full face helmet failed?
It was worthless at just 35 miles per hour!

But in the first example you cited, a man hit a sign at 40 mph and you believe a helmet would have saved him.

I must be missing something here.
Can you explain?

A second point and I'm not sure who was the investigator here
but are you rerally believing that a 900 lbs motorcycle travelling at 35 mph spun a large suv weighing in excess of a ton 360 degrees 3 times?
Could that spin have been a result of the suvs' driver reaction rather then the energy of the modest impact?

Peace,
Jim B

[replybit of conflict here, Quade - how much are they costing you, exactly? Dead bikers are the cheapest, and you've already pointed out the organ donations - did you subtract from the costs to account for this?

The injury severity score for head and neck injuries was significantly higher for patients who had not worn helmets.

The bold section is for jimbrown and his hilarious notion that his neck is better off without the helmet.

My contention is that my neck is better off without the helmet provided I don't wreck.
The helmet causes drag which can lead to neck muscle strain and fatigue.
Further there are studies which show that full face helmets can actually transfer the force of impact to the worst area, the lower back of the neck instead of allowing the area of the skull most suited for absorbing impact forces, the face, to recieve the energy.
Also with full face helmets there is a loss of stimuli which would alert the brain to the fact that you are going dangerously fast.

Ears..,
The wind noise created by the chin strap of my police model Bell helmet(complete with metal visor band, a real ticket saver) can cause hearing loss in excess of what would be expected from my Sampson streetsweepers.

Peace,
Jim B

35mph impact is not modest by any stretch of the imagination. Besides, it has to do with leverage as to if the car was spun. Crush analysis and skid analysis was completed putting the impact speed at 35mph. I'm not going to do the math for you tonight, but that is a LOT of energy being transferred at a near 90 degree angle.

35mph impact is not modest by any stretch of the imagination. Besides, it has to do with leverage as to if the car was spun. Crush analysis and skid analysis was completed putting the impact speed at 35mph. I'm not going to do the math for you tonight, but that is a LOT of energy being transferred at a near 90 degree angle.

OK,
You know, I'm not tryin' to put you on the spot here or anything so maybe we could call in the experts, the physicists.
Winsor? Proffesor(Did I spell that right?:)
Because I'm thinking that a canopy under the right wing loading could travel at 35 mph and the suspended weight of the jumper could reasonably be in the 200 pound area .
I'm having trouble imagining 5 200 pound jumpers flying their canopies at 35 mph simultaneously hitting a "very large SUV" and causing it to spin 360 degrees three times.

Are you certain,Dave, the spinning of the SUV was caused by the energy of the motorcyclist and his motorcycle or is it possible that the spinning was caused by the momentum of the SUV and the incorrect action/reaction of the suv driver?

Oh.., one more thing..,
If the helmet did fail at 35 miles per hour, are they really worth stripping away my Freedom to choose?Do you advocate that? Most of my riding is in excess of 65 mph. That brain bucket won't be doin' me a heap of protecti'n, will it?

Peace,
Jim B

>Most of my riding is in excess of 65 mph. That brain bucket won't be doin'
>me a heap of protecti'n, will it?

Most people around here drive on the highway in excess of 65mph. Airbags and seatbelts won't do a damn thing for you if you hit something at 65mph. Yet they save a lot of lives in highway crashes. Can you guess why?

You know, I'm not tryin' to put you on the spot here or anything so maybe we could call in the experts

You realize that this is what I do professionally, right?;)

Anyways, believe what you want, if you're ever on a jury then we'll spend some time going over the details.

A quick recap thus far:

1. Helmets can and do save lives.
2. Civilian rider training is lacking badly.
3. Most civilian riders just aren't that good of riders (just like most drivers).
4. Bad choices can put you in situations in which a helmet will do you no good.

Have you ever looked at the statistics of people who die of head injuries in car accidents compared to those in motorcycle accidents? So in the same right shouldn't helmets be mandatory for driving a car? How about riding a horse? Skiing? How about crossing the street? Do you want the government to make it mandatory to wear a helmet while skydiving? I'm tired of hearing this organ donor shit.

Where I live we don't have a helmet law. But I own 5 different helmets. Sometimes I wear one and sometimes I don't. It's kinda like the seatbelt law. I don't wear it because I'm told to. I wear it because I am a firm believer in it. It should be my choice.

We also do not have to carry mandatory motorcycle insurance. But guess what? I carry a $500,000 policy. So you won't have to pay for my ass when some stupid fuck that has no insurance of his own takes me out on my bike.

I'm pretty damn tired of the gov. telling me what's good for me and what's not.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

>Most of my riding is in excess of 65 mph. That brain bucket won't be doin'
>me a heap of protecti'n, will it?

Most people around here drive on the highway in excess of 65mph. Airbags and seatbelts won't do a damn thing for you if you hit something at 65mph. Yet they save a lot of lives in highway crashes. Can you guess why?

No. I'm intrigued ! Please do tell!

Peace,
Jim B