jimbrown

Helmets

Ok so I'm thinking helmet rules at DZS and the voluntary wearing of helmets by up jumpers but also helmet laws for motorcylists.

At the DZ , I remember when no one but students wore helmets.
We couldn't wait to get off student status so that we could lose that pro-tec.

I think it was sometime in the mid nineties when all the competition teams started wearing helmets so they could kick each other in the face in freefall and turn maybe one more point?
I say the rules should state that any contact other than grips should disqualify the point. But hey what do I know? Jump in full body armour and just wail on each other I guess!

Any way next thing ya know every neophite jumper in an attempt to emmulate the idiot way ,I'm sorry, four way teams was jumping a helmet. Next with a camera.

Yeah well, to each his own I guess.

But what about the government mandating that motorcyclists wear helmets?

What's with that and what gives them the Right?

Here in South Carolina there is no helmet law and my neck is awfully glad about it!
Helmet proponents are generally not riders and they don't know the amount of muscle fatigue causing drag helmets inflict.

Riding without a helmet is the natural state of man.

What right does any man or any group of men have to force me to wear a helmet while I ride?

Does anyone have that Right?

Peace,
Jim B

What right does any man or any group of men have to force me to wear a helmet while I ride?

You know what they call non-helmeted motorcycle riders in emergency rooms? Organ donors.

Now, as much as I want to see somebody get your organs, what I don't want to have to do is pay for your government institutionalization when you're only semi-fucked up.

What I want is for you to be a organ donor or a productive member of society. Helmets absolutely help in that regard.

It's a cost thing cupcake. Suck it up for the good of society.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

They do not have that right but you will get enough people whining about it costing them in taxes and what not that a politician will run with it to make a name for himself so he can look good and get re-elected to go on making more intrusive laws to further complicate the system and be completely useless and invasive.

That being said you don't wear a helmet you're a squid. However I'm still pro choice, for helmets and other things. I also believe it is only smart and beneficial to wear AGATT and recommend it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

***Now, as much as I want to see somebody get your organs, what I don't want to have to do is pay for your government institutionalization when you're only semi-fucked up.

Generally in order to be able to not wear a helmet you must have a minimum of x dollars in medical insurance. Florida is $10,000.

Now, as much as I want to see somebody get your organs, what I don't want to have to do is pay for your government institutionalization when you're only semi-fucked up.

Generally in order to be able to not wear a helmet you must have a minimum of x dollars in medical insurance. Florida is $10,000.

Fairly certain that wasn't our "sovereign citizen's" point. Not to mention, $10,000 in medical insurance is, what, just the entry fee into the ER? Who's going to pay for the rest of Mr. Brown's vegatable-like existence until he finally croaks?
quade -

You know what they call non-helmeted motorcycle riders in emergency rooms? Organ donors.

What I want is for you to be a organ donor or a productive member of society. Helmets absolutely help in that regard.

Mr Quade, you are assuming I'm going to wreck and that my care after the wreck will be a burden on the citizens of the state.

Here is an interesting fact you may wish to ponder; the state issued me a license to ride a motorcycle after putting me through a comprehensive test course.

The license is a testament to my abilities and qualifications to ride that bike in a safe manner.

So,
If I have prooved to the state that I can perform on the motorcycle in a completely safe manner, who are you to question my ability or future liability?
Aren't you a part of the state which granted me license and certified me as a safe rider?

Peace,
Jim B

The license is a testament to my abilities and qualifications to ride that bike in a safe manner.

BWAHAHAHAHAHH!

No ace, they gave you a minimal license that allows other people on the road to cut you off, force you off the road and kill yourself.

The amount of "skill" required to pass a motorcycle test is laughable and says virtually nothing about its "safety."
quade -

That's minimum. If you don't want to pay for someone else's medical then don't. If you don't want the government to do so then tell them. I'm still for the freedom of choice. People can either deal with the consequences or avoid the situation but I do not think you or anyone else other than perhaps the responsible party if a multi-vehicle accident should have to pay anything.

BWAHAHAHAHAHH!

No ace, they gave you a minimal license that allows other people on the road to cut you off, force you off the road and kill yourself.

The amount of "skill" required to pass a motorcycle test is laughable and says virtually nothing about its "safety."

This is true. I don't worry about myself out there but the idiots and jerks that either don't see you or actually do see you and intentionally cut you off or push you off the road. They're out to get us.

I fully support anyones right to not wear helmets and to splatter their pea brains all over the road if that is to be... as long as I do not have to pay for them to scrape up all the gooey stuff or support them if they end up a veggie special.

BWAHAHAHAHAHH!

This is true. I don't worry about myself out there but the idiots and jerks that either don't see you or actually do see you and intentionally cut you off or push you off the road. They're out to get us.

Everyone of them* is* out to kill you. Remember that, stay ahead of them and Quade will never have to worry about our health care.
Obviously the guy has enough problems.

Peace,
Jim B

[I fully support anyones right to not wear helmets and to splatter their pea brains all over the road if that is to be... as long as I do not have to pay for them to scrape up all the gooey stuff or support them if they end up a veggie special.

I agree with you whole heartedly, Amazon.

How do you feel about government mounting a search party for skydivers who left the plane and didn't return to the DZ?

Peace,
Jim B

[I fully support anyones right to not wear helmets and to splatter their pea brains all over the road if that is to be... as long as I do not have to pay for them to scrape up all the gooey stuff or support them if they end up a veggie special.

How do you feel about government mounting a search party for skydivers who left the plane and didn't return to the DZ?

Peace,
Jim B

Depends on whether or not the FAA vectored them over the lake -- doesn't it?
quade -

Peace,
Jim B

Depends on whether or not the FAA vectored them over the lake -- doesn't it?

Leaving the plane was a voluntary action in which they put themselves at risk.

I say if any thrill seeker fucks up let them moan in pain until their own dollars or those of some benefactor pay for rescuers.

And not just thrill seekers, if anyone is in pain, I hate it for you but really, do you really expect for me to pay to help you through your plight ?

Why would you?

Who are you to me?

Take care of your own shit and I'll do my dammedest to take care of mine!

Sometimes I think the people of the world are just getting to close to each other.

Maybe it's time for another Babel!!
Peace,
Jim B

I find it interesting reading: On former threads there are those pleading for everyone's heathcare to be mandatory, even if it means the government (read, tax payers) to cover it. Then here, an alternate viewpoint; "as long as they're not in a higher risk activity and get in an accident'. :S

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I find it interesting reading: On former threads there are those pleading for everyone's heathcare to be mandatory, even if it means the government (read, tax payers) to cover it. Then here, an alternate viewpoint; "as long as they're not in a higher risk activity and get in an accident'. :S

There must be a price for stupidity!!!

If you are gonna do stupid shit.. pay for it yourself.

Oh, I agree that everyone should pull their own weight. But where do we draw the line? And who decides if it's 'stupid'?

Case in point: Just yesterday a couple of co-workers were late to work. They were stuck behind a traffic accident on the 215 freeway. Seems that a motorcycle had gone down and a car had run over him. A very nasty scene. Who was the stupid one?

Another motorcycle accident a few months back (friend of a co-worker): Again, on a freeway. A car door opened in traffic jammed freeway. An unseen motorcycle hit the door, slid under the car, and again was run over. Who's the stupid one now?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Oh, I agree that everyone should pull their own weight. But where do we draw the line? And who decides if it's 'stupid'?

Case in point: Just yesterday a couple of co-workers were late to work. They were stuck behind a traffic accident on the 215 freeway. Seems that a motorcycle had gone down and a car had run over him. A very nasty scene. Who was the stupid one?

Another motorcycle accident a few months back (friend of a co-worker): Again, on a freeway. A car door opened in traffic jammed freeway. An unseen motorcycle hit the door, slid under the car, and again was run over. Who's the stupid one now?

INsurance... I myself pay a hell of a lot every year for all of my vehicles.... but I am one of those horrible people who believes in personal responsibilty.... so I pay my way... I expect others to do the same....

Those wishing a free ride and are not responsible and will not pay their own way.... are nothing more than thieves

bit of conflict here, Quade - how much are they costing you, exactly? Dead bikers are the cheapest, and you've already pointed out the organ donations - did you subtract from the costs to account for this?

The average age of the helmeted riders was 37 years, compared with 32 years for unhelmeted riders. Ninety-two percent of all the patients studied were male. The injury severity score for each patient was calculated, and it correlated with the length of the patient's stay in the Trauma Burn Center and with the cost of the patient's hospitalization. The injury severity score for head and neck injuries was significantly higher for patients who had not worn helmets.

Patients who had worn helmets during their crash had average hospital costs of $31,158, as opposed to $37,317 for those who hadn't worn a helmet. Ninety-two percent of the helmeted riders were insured, while only 86 percent of unhelmeted riders were.

Note that this Michigan study only counted survivors, and lidless riders were 40% more likely to die in the accident. Not exactly a big delta/savings, and especially not from a bunch of people who made "femur" a verb.

The bold section is for jimbrown and his hilarious notion that his neck is better off without the helmet.

Says a skydiver. No irony there.

Well I for one take steps to cover myself. I do have insurance which I pay for now in case I do need use it later.

I had a boss once who was for mandating helmets. His reasoning to us was that he didn't want to be the one responsible for killing a motorcyclist. Nobody does but if you hit a motorcyclist and it's your fault, it's your fault. Why should they have to prepare for your carelessness? Not saying they shouldn't, just that they shouldn't be forced to. I think your stupid if you don't but I do have plenty of stupid people that I still call friends.

I remember the climbers up in Washington state that had to be rescued and hearing a debate about allowing people to climb mountains. I really hate to lose any freedom because other people that can't understand or are too scared to think you shouldn't do something. Find a viable compromise. If you want to do something risky have an insurance that covers either medical or search and rescue or whatever. You have the coverage you get saved, you don't then you pay the price. It sounds harsh at times but that's life.

Note that this Michigan study only counted survivors, and lidless riders were 40% more likely to die in the accident. Not exactly a big delta/savings, and especially not from a bunch of people who made "femur" a verb.

But that's only for the hospital stay. It doesn't count the years a person might be useless and long term expensive to take care of with an injury enough to permanently disable them but not kill them.
quade -

But that's only for the hospital stay. It doesn't count the years a person might be useless and long term expensive to take care of with an injury enough to permanently disable them but not kill them.

and again, the helmeted rider is 40% likelier to live, with those serious injuries. The helmet can save the brain, but still give you a broken spine.

But I'm sure you have real data to produce, yes, not just random conjecture? It *may* be true, but you haven't established it.

We can offset those costs by increasing the use of the Death Penalty. Why pay for someone's life in prison when we can just kill them and use it as a deterrent? These are people screwing up on purpose!