jimbrown

What if Jesus didn't die on the cross

I lack the ability to achieve the level of stupidity to take seriously any of said nonsense

You underestimate yourself:

The observant Jew who got all the attention (AD - after departure, mind you) did so courtesy of those against whom he apparently railed. It was Romans (Paul, Constantine) who claimed to have become followers, but rewrote the rules of observance to more closely fit a European Pagan (rather than Hebrew) worldview

How stupid is that?

There is a difference between cunning and intelligence.

don't forget about intellectual dishonesty then...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

You started off by asking how I knew the universe had a beginning and didn't just always exist like was mentioned "given its vastness. I just responded with an example supporting what I said. It's not the only reason I believe that. Just thought i'd give you a secular example. Both Creationism and the Big Bang theory say there was a beginning. No conflict there.

Of course there is. 'Secular' evidence like redshift points to conclusions that you reject. By many orders of magnitude. In order for you to maintain your ludicrous ideas you have to say "Oh sure, that's what it's doing now, but it could have been doing something else before!" Problem is, by opening that trap door you open the possibility that what the universe was doing before could be... anything.

You cannot believe what you believe and also use concepts like redshift as evidence of anything that happened in the past. So, try again.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I lack the ability to achieve the level of stupidity to take seriously any of said nonsense

The observant Jew who got all the attention (AD - after departure, mind you) did so courtesy of those against whom he apparently railed. It was Romans (Paul, Constantine) who claimed to have become followers, but rewrote the rules of observance to more closely fit a European Pagan (rather than Hebrew) worldview

How stupid is that?

Feel free to explain it to me.

>It must be the unfathomable enormity of the universe or an unimaginable
>amount of time to make it all possible. Anything other than the idea of a
>Creator with purpose.

This is the classic "argument from incredulity" - "I cannot comprehend the age or size of the universe, therefore I will employ a paradigm to reduce it to something I can understand."

Fortunately, scientists are not hampered by such limitations, and are thus able to discover some really remarkable stuff about the universe. It often takes religion decades (or centuries) to catch up, but generally they do. Nowadays even fairly religious people don't take the story of Noah's Ark, the Tower of Babel or either creation legend in the Bible as literal truth; they understand them as metaphor, and use science as a more accurate method of describing the world.

Heck, even the Catholic church recently apologized to Galileo for persecuting and imprisoning him for claiming that the Earth revolved around the Sun, and that there were many other stars out there just like ours. Their statement on the matter:

"The error of the theologians of the time, when they maintained the centrality of the Earth, was to think that our understanding of the physical world's structure was, in some way, imposed by the literal sense of Sacred Scripture."

So even churches do come around, although sometimes it takes a long, long time to do so.

So even churches do come around, although sometimes it takes a long, long time to do so.

That's okay. Its not like the secular world hasn't been way, way behind at times either. My favorite example is the OT command to wash your hands after touching something dead (as it was unclean) and modern medicine (19th cent) making fun of the idea saying, "You can't catch death!". These were the same people that would perform autopsies and then deliver babies right after (and wondered why mortality rate was so high to boot). And then, to top it off, when a guy got the bright idea to actually try washing hands and proved it was effective (death rates in mothers plummeted) , he was ostracized by his "enlightened" peers.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

That's okay. Its not like the secular world hasn't been way, way behind at times either. My favorite example is the OT command to wash your hands after touching something dead (as it was unclean) and modern medicine (19th cent) making fun of the idea saying, "You can't catch death!". These were the same people that would perform autopsies and then deliver babies right after (and wondered why mortality rate was so high to boot). And then, to top it off, when a guy got the bright idea to actually try washing hands and proved it was effective (death rates in mothers plummeted) , he was ostracized by his "enlightened" peers.

Many rules from the bible (especially dietary and other health) have many real world reasons to be, and have been recognized by science. Before antibiotics were given to animals, beef/lamb was a "cleaner" meat than pork. Washing hands before and after meals was/still is a good idea. Quarantine for contagious diseases etc.....
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

How stupid is that?

Provide your sources...How have you come to knowledge of "Cousin Jesus?" Perhaps if you back up your claims with anything other than your own wishfull thinking it might be worthwhile...till then, all I have to go on are intellectually dishonest musings from a jealous Jew. Why should I waste the time with such vanity?

Edit:
I do not mean any disrespect. I take the words of Romans 11:17-22 very seriously:

If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.” Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

How stupid is that?

Provide your sources...How have you come to knowledge of "Cousin Jesus?" Perhaps if you back up your claims with anything other than your own wishfull thinking it might be worthwhile...till then, all I have to go on are intellectually dishonest musings from a jealous Jew. Why should I waste the time with such vanity?

You can't back up shit about your own religion... "Faith" (the suspension of rational thought) is the entire basis for what you believe. You have ZERO objective evidence for the existance of your god...and you're talking about "intellectual honesty"? That's rich....Pot, Kettle. Kettle, Pot.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

You can't back up shit about your own religion...

Scripture is all i need...

If you want to change ignorant, violent and hatefull "christians" who apparently have destroyed your whole system, perhaps you should heed my advice and use scripture rather than your own words of hate that only fuel the fires of hell and makes your life a miserable wreck.

You can't back up shit about your own religion...

Scripture is all i need...

If you want to change ignorant, violent and hatefull "christians" who apparently have destroyed your whole system, perhaps you should heed my advice and use scripture rather than your own words of hate that only fuel the fires of hell and makes your life a miserable wreck.

WTF are you talking about? My life rocks!!:)I find it funny as hell that you would call ANYONE out citing intellectual honesty, when your entire belief system is dependant on NOT thinking rationally. It doesn't get much better than that from where I sit!:D
Please...continue. This is great!!
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."

WTF are you talking about? My life rocks!!

Then quite complaining that religion is fuckin' everything up....

Do you want me to be "quite" about it?:S
I want my life to rock even more... so I won't "quite " complaining about religion until it "quites" fuckin' everything up.

Now...you were calling Jimmy out for not being "intellectually honest"...I'll make popcorn. Proceed.

I want my life to rock even more... so I won't "quite " complaining about religion until it "quites" fuckin' everything up.

It's never gonna happen untill you play their game...relax, I'm trying to help.

btw , There are prerequisites that I doubt you have the capacity to understand. Though Winsor is a non-observant Jew, I credit him much in the way of comprehension. His statement was intellectually dishonest.

btw , There are prerequisites that I doubt you have the capacity to understand

You're probably correct about that. The initial prerequisite of "suspending rational thought" is something I choose not to do. I don't "have the capacity" to understand why an otherwise intelligent person would base their life on something that requires it.

I don't "have the capacity" to understand

I was there too...

Just pray about it...you won't change much. You'll just have a deeper understanding about life, God and your fellow man.

I'm not much different than you.

The bottom line is that you're not gonna help much by constantly being a dick...it only makes it worse.

I was there too...

Just pray about it...you won't change much. You'll just have a deeper understanding about life, God and your fellow man.

The bottom line is that you're not gonna help much by constantly being a dick...it only makes it worse.

You're just full of the spirit tonight, aren't you?;)

I was there too...

You're just full of the spirit tonight, aren't you?;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHYYkZpZGjo&feature=feedrec_grec_index:D

To address something a few pages back in regards to using the bible to treat depression and using it as a source of healing.

John Edwards is a lying, scamming, dishonest celebrity joke - but what he does still brings closure to people. Just because his lies are helping some people, does that make his fictitious dishonesty of encouragement right?

If you answered yes to that question, that just goes to show that truth means nothing to you and your primary goal is just the result. Which would explain one's willingness to 'believe' the bible.

If you answered no to this, then using the bible as a tool of treating depression or other mental illness should be just as immoral.

using the bible as a tool of treating depression or other mental illness should be just as immoral.

Wtf do you know about morality? For all I know, If I squash a mosquito, u'd think of me to be a sick sinister killer, yet if I were to abort my child, I'd be a fuckin' hero to you...

How stupid is that?

Edit:
I do not mean any disrespect. I take the words of Romans 11:17-22 very seriously:

If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.” Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

Your source was written by a Pagan Poser. Of course you take it seriously.

It's never gonna happen untill you play their game...relax, I'm trying to help.

btw , There are prerequisites that I doubt you have the capacity to understand. Though Winsor is a non-observant Jew, I credit him much in the way of comprehension. His statement was intellectually dishonest.

You have shown yourself to possess neither intellect nor honesty. Pick another approach.