Galenis

Bin Laden is Dead

So last night my x was playing bingo when it was announce that Bin laden was killed. The person making the announcement made the common mistake of referring to Bin Laden as "Obama' Stating that Obama has just been shot and killed, She was shocked at the number of people who applauded. There was then a moment of confusion until they announced the correct name.

I have heard and made that same mistake

As for the clapping? It does not pass the sniff test IMO:|
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>What if the cops objective was to kill the rapist from the beginning. What
>if he had "shoot to kill" orders from the Chief of Police?

No.

Now, if that rapist was a Russian who had killed 3000 people, and was holed up in a house in the Ukraine, and was still in charge of an organization that could kill more, then yes - shooting to kill might be a good idea.

So killing a terrorist is OK with you but trying to extract information from them isn't? Have you considered there may be a reason why the order was "shoot to kill"? Have you considered there might be a reason why nobody wanted him taken alive? Do you honestly believe that since they had him trapped in a house, with no where to run, that there was no other choice?

I don't think people get the irony. Arabs celebrating the death of a US soldier are Islamic barbarians that have no concept civilization. Americans celebrating the death of an Arab is different how?

Don't get me wrong, I am not sad that he is gone.

Yes... :|

For some excellent examples of this irony, just read my thread "How would YOU have dealt with Osama Bin Laden"... :S
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Call me unpatriotic, I'm ready for a bashing and some nasty PM's, but this event really hasn't changed my life at all...

...or Obamas chances of getting re-elected
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Would we put up with it? Almost certainly not.

Difference being, neither your country or mine would have hid him. There would have been no reason to go get him.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

A bullet to the brain is OK but waterboarding isn't? Can someone explain this to me?

Just saw the Chairman of the House Homeland security committee on the news. He was saying that the info that got us Bin Laden came from waterboarding.:ph34r:

http://bungalowbillscw.blogspot.com/2011/05/peter-king-tweets-waterboarding-led-to.html

www.newsmax.com/Headline/DonaldRumsfeld-gitmo-waterboarding-osamabinladen/2011/05/02/id/394820

Do you believe Rumsfeild? The standard numbers out there suggest KSM was water boarded 183 times and 2 others were strapped down with him.

What I believe this shows is that (at least) one senior Republican is a liar.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm not sure how many times people have to explain this to you for it to stick, but I'll give it one more go.

So killing a terrorist is OK with you but trying to extract information from them isn't?

Killing a terrorst in the heat of battle is okay. Tortue does not happen in the heat of battle. Both torture and putting a bullet in his brain are not okay outside the heat of battle. Torture is also the least effective method of gathering usable intelligence, so it's also not okay if your goal is anything other than revenge.

Have you considered there may be a reason why the order was "shoot to kill"?

Have you considered that your supposition about the "shoot to kill" order is false? There have been a handful of reports where some unnamed source claims to have inside knowledge about the "shoot to kill" order, but nothing that I'd lend any credence to.

Have you considered there might be a reason why nobody wanted him taken alive? Do you honestly believe that since they had him trapped in a house, with no where to run, that there was no other choice?

I guess they could have given him a hug instead. Or started an hours long negotiation, exposing themselves to counter-attack. Do you have any idea how exposed those teams are during helicopter insertion in hostile territory? This isn't X-Box. The "order" was get in, get out. If that meant killing him when he refused to surrender, too bad, that's combat. This wasn't a police action, this was an assault by SEAL Team 6.

- Dan G

I wonder if someone would say such things if they'd actually fought for the cause and/or were very close to others who also did and died? I wonder if someone would say such things if their parents, wives/husbands, children were in those buildings which crumbled to the ground in flames? It really disgusts me to hear people criticize America after news like this. However, I do not regret fighting for your right to do so. God bless America!

I've done my (active) military service - what the heck do *you* know about war??

The French have a military??? Could have fooled me! ;)

If it was not for the French military, there would be no such thing as the United States of America.

Spend some time with the Legion and see how disparaging you are of things French and military.

The White House is now indicating he wasn't even armed.

If he was ordered to submit, surrender or be killed and he didn't submit or surrender, then he got exactly what was to be expected regardless of whether or not he was armed.

He was a dangerous, convicted criminal, not a crime suspect.
Owned by Remi #?

If he was ordered to submit, surrender or be killed and he didn't submit or surrender, then he got exactly what was to be expected regardless of whether or not he was armed.

He was a dangerous, convicted criminal, not a crime suspect.

Correct, anything is a threat when your orders are "shoot to kill". You do realize he lived in that compound undetected for nearly 6 years don't you? Doesn't that make you wonder how he was able to do that?

Who fucking cares? How many in the WTC were armed? Doesn't matter. YOU CAN'T DO SHIT ABOUT A FUCKING PLANE HITTING THE BUILDING YOU"RE IN!!!!!!!

You know you're pathetic. All of you're crying over a dead piece of crap is pathetic.

Hats off to Obama! He made the right decision. Instead of just dropping bombs, like Bush would had done, or invading another country instead of going after Bin Laden, like Bush did, Obama MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE and kept his eye on the prize.

And, what about that NAVY? FUCKING A DITTY BAG!!!
You want the job done and done fast? Send in the Navy!!!!!!!!
GO NAVY
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I guess 150-250 years the French had an army. Belated thanks! When I was in SF I worked with the Legion, funny thing they were all foreigners! :P

Their officers are French

Their enlisted men are foreign so that they can be the front line of any attack and suffer casualties without the french people caring all that much as they are foreigners.

Anyone who serves in the legion for five(i think) years is given a french passport and a new name if they wish. As a result it attracts a huge variety of characters although I believe in the last 5-10 years they have tightened up their recruitment process so that fugitives and undesirables cannot get in

I still say we could have caught OBL a lot sooner if it wasn't for Eric Holder or Obama's lack of will in reeling him in.

Bush lacked the will to get Bin Laden and focused on an easy target. At the end of his two terms, Bin Laden was still alive and pulling the strings. Obama comes along and in just two years Bin Laden is dead! Seems that Obama is the man of will and determination. This shit should had been done ten years ago.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I wonder why Rumsfield called off the hunters when they initially chased him into Pakistan?

A cynic would argue that keeping OBL alive would be good for both the Oil Industry and for the Defence Industry.

Bush and Rumsfeld have been known to be rather in favour of those industries making a lot of money.

HOWEVER

I do think it shows that america is not as different from the enemies it likes to paint as soulless savages over and over again. There were people in america who celebrated a hated persons death just like people in other countries celebrate when one of the hated americans is killed (the extremists obviously). There were people who stayed at home (the majority I assume) relieved at the news but not elated and there were people who stayed at home who couldn't care less. There are people in these other 'enemy' countries who do the exact same when someone from america or the west is killed

I love America but a lot of you guys are so blind to your own failings and other peoples point of view that it makes you very hard to take seriously

A great post - which then ends with ignorant/moronic stereotyping. Show me how any other country doesn't have the exact same small proportion of this type of personality you decry.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Side note: TOday's Washington Post has a big diagram of bin Laden's house. You can see it on Google Maps on the satellite view. GOOGLE maps already has labeled as Osama bin Laden's final hideout. It's near Kakul road in Abbottabad.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

>Do you honestly believe that since they had him trapped in a house, with
>no where to run, that there was no other choice?

There might have been another choice. But I wasn't there; they were. They made the call.

This comes up all the time. Should the cop have tasered that guy? Couldn't he have talked him down, or just waited for more cops? Couldn't he have just left and avoided the whole issue? Maybe; in hindsight that might have been a better choice. But they're there and trying to do the best job they can with very little time (and no hindsight) to make the call.

Arabs celebrating the death of a US soldier are Islamic barbarians that have no concept civilization. Americans celebrating the death of an Arab is different how?

How many times is someone going to ask this stupid question?

As many as it takes until...
a) the reader "gets it" or,
b) the writer gets tired of talking to a wall.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If it was not for the French military, there would be no such thing as the United States of America.

Spend some time with the Legion and see how disparaging you are of things French and military.

+1 B|

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

USA Today said something like 'he reached for a weapon after being ordered to surrender'. WHo cares? He needed to die. He needed to be buried at sea so there will be no shrine for martyrs. You and I will probably never know the whole story. Meet the new boss...
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne