Galenis

Bin Laden is Dead

I only question those like you who are so opposed to waterboarding but applaud putting a bullet in a terrorists brain.

You ever read the 8th amendment?

We have capital punishment, but we don't hack the convicts to death with a machete.

Or ignoring the moral or constitutional issues, waterboarding doesn't work reliably! Marg provided no shortage of evidence on this, coming from the military.

Along the same reasoning, if I am a soldier in combat, why is it OK to shoot the enemy soldier dead, but if I'm at a wedding reception, it is NOT OK for me to drop trou and moon all the guests? Isn't taking a human life worse than mooning people?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I only question those like you who are so opposed to waterboarding but applaud putting a bullet in a terrorists brain.

You ever read the 8th amendment?

We have capital punishment, but we don't hack the convicts to death with a machete.

Or ignoring the moral or constitutional issues, waterboarding doesn't work reliably! Marg provided no shortage of evidence on this, coming from the military.

Yes, because waterboarding is equivelent to hacking someone up with a machete. :S

Whatever, dude. It's obvious you and Quade idolize Obama and will defend anything he does. Neither of you ever got the point I was making. You both would be well advised to review your bias meters. We get you, it's OK to send a hit squad in to take out a terrorist, which I don't disagree with, but not OK to waterboard. What have you got to lose by waterboarding? You were going to kill him anyway, so who cares?

Yes, because waterboarding is equivelent to hacking someone up with a machete. :S

Oh, NOW you want to stick to things that have vague relevancies to each other?

If you think I'm an Obama die hard, you have serious reading skill deficiencies.

Let's cut the bullshit - he finally looks Presidential and you're reaching out for anything to try to lower the victory for both him and America. Yet the best you can do is "I don't believe they tried very hard to arrest him."

Oh, NOW you want to stick to things that have vague relevancies to each other?

If you think I'm an Obama die hard, you have serious reading skill deficiencies.

Let's cut the bullshit - he finally looks Presidential and you're reaching out for anything to try to lower the victory for both him and America. Yet the best you can do is "I don't believe they tried very hard to arrest him."

If that's what you think, then I would examine your own reading skills. Either that or my point is over your head, so I'm done. Think whatever you like, I couldn't care less.

I wonder if someone would say such things if they'd actually fought for the cause and/or were very close to others who also did and died? I wonder if someone would say such things if their parents, wives/husbands, children were in those buildings which crumbled to the ground in flames? It really disgusts me to hear people criticize America after news like this. However, I do not regret fighting for your right to do so. God bless America!

I've done my (active) military service - what the heck do *you* know about war??

The French have a military??? Could have fooled me! ;)

steveOrino

I've done my (active) military service - what the heck do *you* know about war??

The side that kills the most people and breaks the most things

wins

Didn't turn out that way in Korea or Southeast Asia.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

>What if the cops objective was to kill the rapist from the beginning. What
>if he had "shoot to kill" orders from the Chief of Police?

No.

Now, if that rapist was a Russian who had killed 3000 people, and was holed up in a house in the Ukraine, and was still in charge of an organization that could kill more, then yes - shooting to kill might be a good idea.

Call me naive, but doesn't killing Al Qaeda's leader turn him into a martyr for his cause? I know what the definition of a "real" martyr is, but if I believed in something and my leader were killed, I would not be happy about it...

Reckon this will *increase* violence. And everyone "celebrating" this murder doesn't paint a pretty picture about the West, IMO.

I don't think people get the irony. Arabs celebrating the death of a US soldier are Islamic barbarians that have no concept civilization. Americans celebrating the death of an Arab is different how?

Don't get me wrong, I am not sad that he is gone.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I don't think people get the irony. Arabs celebrating the death of a US soldier are Islamic barbarians that have no concept civilization. Americans celebrating the death of an Arab is different how?

Which US soldiers are you referring to among the 3000 dead on 9/11? I'm sure there were a handful, but they were acting in a civilian capacity at the time.

How many times is someone going to ask this stupid question?

Don't get me wrong, I think partying in the streets over this is garish.

I think the difference, however, is in regards to how people see the big picture of the conflict, how people measure success, and what path (if any) they're looking at towards an end to conflict.

How do think the celebration of a soldier's death might differ from the death of an iconic leader in terms of the above?

The raid was at stupid o'clock in the morning... My guess is he was sleeping...

A couple of flash-bangs could have possibly done it. What's the worst that could have happened? He shoots himself to keep from being taken alive? Something doesn't smell right here.

The smell of nanothermite getting to ya?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Call me naive, but doesn't killing Al Qaeda's leader turn him into a martyr for his cause? I know what the definition of a "real" martyr is, but if I believed in something and my leader were killed, I would not be happy about it...

Reckon this will *increase* violence. And everyone "celebrating" this murder doesn't paint a pretty picture about the West, IMO.

Agreed. We wacked that piece of shit and I'm glad he's dead. If you had a relative who died on 9/11 I could understand your jubilance. If we'd have gotten him a couple of years later that might have been different.

10 years on changes my feelings. Quite certain he was being harbored by Pakistan. Almost as certain many knew he was there.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Just a guess. I could be wrong. I'd bet that, if you happened to be a prisoner in a Taliban camp, where they'd beaten, raped, and tortured you for weeks and planned to hang you soon publicly from a sign post at the entrance of town for all (especially their women) to see, you might be overjoyed for a Spec Ops team to bust in at night and shoot each one of your captors in the forehead and get you to safety. Would you still be very upset over the attrocity of killing those who did so much harm to you? Or would you have an overwhelming sense of joy to still be alive? Again...I could be wrong. Reality just seems to change opinions sometimes.

Luckily reasonable countries do not let people who have suffered such extreme circumstances make such decision and I doubt many of the people celebrating on the streets had been involved in any such situations.

I understand the celebrations particularly the ones in the baseball stadiums as the news first went out (before obamas announcement i believe). The ones the next day, while distastefull are understandable imo.

HOWEVER

I do think it shows that america is not as different from the enemies it likes to paint as soulless savages over and over again. There were people in america who celebrated a hated persons death just like people in other countries celebrate when one of the hated americans is killed (the extremists obviously). There were people who stayed at home (the majority I assume) relieved at the news but not elated and there were people who stayed at home who couldn't care less. There are people in these other 'enemy' countries who do the exact same when someone from america or the west is killed

I love America but a lot of you guys are so blind to your own failings and other peoples point of view that it makes you very hard to take seriously

Dude...no problem. I loved being on the team. I'd still be there if I was single with no really small children. I'd do it all again. I also didn't post that to boast. I do not like coming across that way. I am proud of my service but not in that way. I only did it because it felt a little strange (I'm sure it was my pride) being "called out" on combat experience by a girl. Guess I'm just from another generation. NO OFFENCE INTENDED for those women out there who have served. I deeply respect your service. I mean that. Just struck me as odd. I respect anyone...and I mean anyone who is willing to pick up a rifle and stand with me. I don't care who you are. ;)

You did not come across as boasting. You served, You should be proud and I just wanted to thank you.

As for her, I respect and thank her sevice too. I am about to post that as well

i served. our unit actually guarded the american embassy and residence. who will thank me!? :|

personally, i was ordered at the dutch embassy and residence, a much better fit in my opinion.. :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Which US soldiers are you referring to among the 3000 dead on 9/11? I'm sure there were a handful, but they were acting in a civilian capacity at the time.

How many times is someone going to ask this stupid question?

I thank you for your prespective you gave eariler with which I agree... but running in the streets with flags like a bunch of bananna ass monkies makes us look like a pouch of kool-aid sippin' morons...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

A bullet to the brain is OK but waterboarding isn't? Can someone explain this to me?

Just saw the Chairman of the House Homeland security committee on the news. He was saying that the info that got us Bin Laden came from waterboarding.:ph34r:

http://bungalowbillscw.blogspot.com/2011/05/peter-king-tweets-waterboarding-led-to.html

www.newsmax.com/Headline/DonaldRumsfeld-gitmo-waterboarding-osamabinladen/2011/05/02/id/394820

Do you believe Rumsfeild? The standard numbers out there suggest KSM was water boarded 183 times and 2 others were strapped down with him.

Was it a rampant practice? i doubt it. I think the effectiveness of waterboarding will be argued for years.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42863247/ns/world_news-death_of_bin_laden/

The one thing I think most people can agree on though is that the Justice Department's witch hunt of the CIA set back our intelligence gathering by years. I still say we could have caught OBL a lot sooner if it wasn't for Eric Holder or Obama's lack of will in reeling him in.

That said, good job in having the intestinal fortitude to go into a country that was obviously hiding him and pull him out.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

The side that kills the most people and breaks the most things

wins

Didn't turn out that way in Korea or Southeast Asia.

That is what happens when polititions run wars instead of generals
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Dude...no problem. I loved being on the team. I'd still be there if I was single with no really small children. I'd do it all again. I also didn't post that to boast. I do not like coming across that way. I am proud of my service but not in that way. I only did it because it felt a little strange (I'm sure it was my pride) being "called out" on combat experience by a girl. Guess I'm just from another generation. NO OFFENCE INTENDED for those women out there who have served. I deeply respect your service. I mean that. Just struck me as odd. I respect anyone...and I mean anyone who is willing to pick up a rifle and stand with me. I don't care who you are. ;)

You did not come across as boasting. You served, You should be proud and I just wanted to thank you.

As for her, I respect and thank her sevice too. I am about to post that as well

i served. our unit actually guarded the american embassy and residence. who will thank me!? :|

personally, i was ordered at the dutch embassy and residence, a much better fit in my opinion.. :P

anybody who wears/ has worn, the uniform deserves thanks

Thank you
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I have to wonder what the ramifications will be of invading another country will be... time will tell I guess.

Is the end result good (in this case) - Sure, more than likely.

Would we put up with it? Almost certainly not.

(.)Y(.)

A couple of flash-bangs could have possibly done it. What's the worst that could have happened? He shoots himself to keep from being taken alive? Something doesn't smell right here.

More like the smell of bullshit.

More like the smell of bullshit.

;)

(.)Y(.)