Galenis

Bin Laden is Dead

Can you say four more years?

Well, more like 5.5, but yeah. The election is his to lose. Nobody can take it away from him now.

I think Obama should dig around the Whitehouse to see if he can find Dubya's old "Mission Accomplished" banner, and re-use it.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Well, more like 5.5, but yeah. The election is his to lose. Nobody can take it away from him now.

I think Obama should dig around the Whitehouse to see if he can find Dubya's old "Mission Accomplished" banner, and re-use it.:ph34r:

You do realize that it was exactly 8 years to the DAY since that photo-op.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Mission_Accomplished_Speech
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So now, we can get the troops out of Afghanistan, right? Since we knew for years that he was in Pakistan, but we still occupied Afghanistan. But now, there's no reason to be there.

The US already has plans to get out of Afghanistan, but pulling out isn't like flippin' a switch. There IS a bit of "you broke it, you bought it" in getting them back to where we can pull out and not have things instantly go into chaos.
quade -

So now, we can get the troops out of Afghanistan, right? Since we knew for years that he was in Pakistan, but we still occupied Afghanistan. But now, there's no reason to be there.

We are there only to make sure the extremist in Afghanistan do not destabilize Pakistan and then get their hands on the nukes.

Congrats to the US intelligence and the spec. ops people that ended Bin Laden's life. Good riddance!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Wow.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Oh, that is beautiful!
I wonder how many hours until the photoshopped versions of that photo show up?:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm trying to picture the event in my mind. I don't know if it'd be a CIA team, Seals, or Army SF... but the way I picture it.. it started with a HALO jump from 30,000.

Helicopter insertion of a SEAL Team. They had practiced the operation a number of times. They were on the ground approximately 40 minutes in total.

Or so I've been told.
quade -

That's exactly what people said about George HW Bush after Desert Storm.

Yes; you beat me to making this observation. ;)

IMO, the big difference between 1992 and 2012 is a political one: Bush #1's re-election campaign organization was incompetent, as opposed to Clinton's campaign organization, which was historically masterful in its tactics and strategy. But today, Obama's political organization is very, very good; whereas I really haven't seen any brilliance of political organization in any of the potential candidates on the Republican side. At least, not yet.

GHWB lost it, in part, because of the unsatisfying ending of Gulf War 1.

The only thing that keeps Obama from winning in 2012 is if the economy goes into a worse recession than the one that hit at the end of GWB's term. Nobody wants that, but even then, who on the Republican side has an actual answer when it comes to the economy? Certainly not the asshats suggesting cuts to Social Security and Medicare. That's certainly not going to get them elected.
quade -

There IS a bit of "you broke it, you bought it" in getting them back to where we can pull out and not have things instantly go into chaos.

So, things were nice and orderly before we went there? We've already been there over 10 years - enough time to build a few cities.

Way, I see it, we had one mission - find and kill OBL. White house thought it was a good excuse to occupy Afghanistan, even after he left and went to Pakistan. We've already pumped billions into rebuilding their infrastructure and setting up a new government. It doesn't make up for all the civilians we killed, but we don't own them any more than what we've already given.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Yes; you beat me to making this observation. ;)

IMO, the big difference between 1992 and 2012 is a political one: Bush #1's re-election campaign organization was incompetent, as opposed to Clinton's campaign organization, which was historically masterful in its tactics and strategy. But today, Obama's political organization is very, very good; whereas I really haven't seen any brilliance of political organization in any of the potential candidates on the Republican side. At least, not yet.

The phrase "It's the economy, stupid" comes to mind. Nobody will care that Osama is dead in Nov. 2012. They will care about the deficit and government spending.

GHWB lost it, in part, because of the unsatisfying ending of Gulf War 1.

The only thing that keeps Obama from winning in 2012 is if the economy goes into a worse recession than the one that hit at the end of GWB's term. Nobody wants that, but even then, who on the Republican side has an actual answer when it comes to the economy? Certainly not the asshats suggesting cuts to Social Security and Medicare. That's certainly not going to get them elected.

Perhaps, but that's not what you implied.

I'm trying to picture the event in my mind. I don't know if it'd be a CIA team, Seals, or Army SF... but the way I picture it.. it started with a HALO jump from 30,000.

Helicopter insertion of a SEAL Team. They had practiced the operation a number of times. They were on the ground approximately 40 minutes in total.

Or so I've been told.

Well that's boring. I had a much more elaborate action scene playing in my head. Involved a HALO entry, NODs, laser designators and aerial striks... and some pre-placed four-wheelers (with Mk 19s) for exfil.

But,... mission complete!

Gotta love Fox News. Headline of OBL dead, and underneath a picture and a quote from former President Bush about how it was a great victory for America. No mention of the current sitting president ;)

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD