nigel99

Why?

What makes one approach any more valid than the other?

Because one approach does not assume that a made up story is true, the other approach does.

Take, for instance, the moon. Before 1966 no one had ever seen what was on the dark side of the moon. In 1965 would it have been more valid to assume that there was a 3x scale replica of Las Vegas sitting on the dark side of the moon, or that there wasn't?

But when someone went to the dark side and came back and told us what we they saw, we had to take their word on faith since we weren't there.

God told us what is on there other side when He sent His Son.

There's certainly no proof that such a thing doesn't happen.

And that there is the basis of Pascal's Wager in a nutshell.

I would bet that Pascal won his wager and is in Heaven. Since he was a Christian apologist and formulated his philosophy in view of the Christian God.

But when someone went to the dark side and came back and told us what we they saw, we had to take their word on faith since we weren't there.

There's this wonderful new invention you should check out, it's called a camera...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

There's this wonderful new invention you should check out, it's called a camera...

I was expecting better from you. Photographic special effects are are old as photography.

And yet, a full 100 years after the first modern photography, most people were still able to tell that King Kong wasn't a real gorilla.

I was expecting better from you.

Well, there's the problem in a nutshell.

Oh hey look, an insult instead of an answer. What a shock.

:D:D

Dude
Yours was the insult
He simply replied to it

:D:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>I would bet that Pascal won his wager and is in Heaven.

Perhaps! If any one religion's view of heaven (and the entrance requirements) are correct, then Pascal's Wager is a good deal - provided you subscribe to all religions.

Dude
Yours was the insult
He simply replied to it

:D:S

Dude
Stop replying to posts you haven't read properly
He replied to max
Pay attention

I am

I did
and

you need help

go find it
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Dude
Yours was the insult
He simply replied to it

Dude
Stop replying to posts you haven't read properly
He replied to max
Pay attention

I am

I did

Show me

Which insult

He replied to

Say...speaking of subscribe to all religions....

You know how you can tell one person something and then tell another thee exact same thing and they interpret your statement differently? (That ought to be familiar)

So, God tells one prophet, he tells another prophet the same thing, and another, and on down the line and they all interpret differently. They all go off to establish a religion based on their interpretation and Bingo! We get Christianity, we get Islam, we get Judaism, all down the line. We even get one that says, "I don't believe a word you said".

One source, many interpretations.
Leave it to humans to argue about who is right, who is wrong, and who is bat-shit crazy.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>I would bet that Pascal won his wager and is in Heaven.

Perhaps! If any one religion's view of heaven (and the entrance requirements) are correct, then Pascal's Wager is a good deal - provided you subscribe to all religions.

Maybe, but Pascal considered that view of inconsistent revelations a "fatal repose". A rhetorical trap that he or any other serious seeker should not fall into.

Lets see here........

I did a Wikipedia search on Jesus Christ. Do it yourself and see if you fall into a coma of confusion.

One thing that is quite interesting is the reported window of birth and the reported window of death. Simplistic basic beginning of life and end of life are easily determined by the majority of people that I know. Those two items are relatively common sense for even the most uneducated Afghanistani poppy farmer.

Move forward about ~1485 years and lets have a round of applause for some cool cats out of Portugal to discover the Earth is actually {round}.

With all the cataclysmic, evangelical, miraculous Biblical events, don't you think some lesser person would have actually already known this?

This boat builder guy.......where did he find the meanest mofo on the planet to wrangle all those different species? I can't even see a guy wrestling one grizzly bear mama over to the boat, let alone getting daddy-o grizzly to come along. Especially for that long ass Atlantic swim.

The appointed poo shoveler on the mystical cruise has always been my personal envy.

A couple of things that are for sure:

1. If you choose to go the church of your choice.....bring money. Religion is the biggest financial institution in the {round} world.
2. Religion is always controversial. Always. Regardless, if you are a believer or a non-believer. Just ask your local religious affiliate if he/she agrees with the ways of another that is not of the same as theirs.
3. When you are dead......you are dead. I would ask some of those that are dearly departed. But, they are dead. And dead people don't have much to say.

Later.
People are crazy. Cuz there's more of 'em.

You're missing a bigger point.

Do also prepare to UFO attacks?
Are you prepared for a black hole to vaporize the earth?
Have you prepared for time travel into the past?

You do realise that as pops lives at the farm, he has already experienced an alien invasion with the arrival of Andy Copland?:P
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.