Atlas Shrugged Movie

I doubt they expected it to make a profit. There are people who want to get an important message out about the future of this country.

But then a commercially successful film would do better at getting the message out too, no? After all, a commercial flop is a film that no-one goes to see.

Ha. :D:D But to make it commercially successful, you have to make it appeal to the general public, not just that one strange anti-social IT tech that spouts Rand rants to everyone.

It's worse, I NEEEEED to see more!:P

Me too. But you are talking to the guy who is nostalgic for the movie "Ice Pirates". It was the definition of my 80's.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I doubt they expected it to make a profit. There are people who want to get an important message out about the future of this country.

But then a commercially successful film would do better at getting the message out too, no? After all, a commercial flop is a film that no-one goes to see.

Ha. :D:D But to make it commercially successful, you have to make it appeal to the general public, not just that one strange anti-social IT tech that spouts Rand rants to everyone.

You didn't seriously think anything about that film was good; did you? It's laughably bad in terms of acting, writing, directing, sets, effects. I heard a rumor even the catering sucked.

Other than the punchline, that's not a joke either. It was Bad with a capital "B."

What part of my post made you think think I said it was a good movie? If you read the book with the insufferably long sermon in the middle, you would have just laughed at my use of "Need" With the Winky, Tongue Sticky Out ness. Sheesh! [:/]:S:D:D

Funny Quote "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

You didn't seriously think anything about that film was good; did you? It's laughably bad in terms of acting, writing, directing, sets, effects. I heard a rumor even the catering sucked.

Other than the punchline, that's not a joke either. It was Bad with a capital "B."

What part of my post made you think think I said it was a good movie? If you read the book with the insufferably long sermon in the middle, you would have just laughed at my use of "Need" With the Winky, Tongue Sticky Out ness. Sheesh! [:/]:S:D:D

Funny Quote "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

:D:D

The funny part is: How many of those who have been following this thread have actually read either?

All the way through, People! :P

Be honest.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

:D:D

The funny part is: How many of those who have been following this thread have actually read either?

All the way through, People! :P

Be honest.

I read both over 40 years ago.

Even as a teenager I found Rand's standpoint as indefensible as that of the Anarchists, for about the same reasons. The gist if either is that there are a group of people who would populate an idyllic society if it was not for "them."

The only thing I recall about the courtroom diatribe in "Atlas Shrugged" was that it took some 35 pages in the edition I read. Any jury worth its salt would have found him guilty just for putting them through it.

I still have a copy of "The Silmarillion" that I expect to read in the foreseeable future.

BSBD,

Winsor

I still have a copy of "The Silmarillion" that I expect to read in the foreseeable future

Been wanting to read that for years. With my future op-tempo getting ready to increase again, I may have to wait till retirement.

I still have a copy of "The Silmarillion" that I expect to read in the foreseeable future

Been wanting to read that for years. With my future op-tempo getting ready to increase again, I may have to wait till retirement.

That was the most difficult book I have read, along with Eco's Foucault's Pendulum (Silmarillion was in my late teens, so that may have had something to do with it)
Remster

> How many of those who have been following this thread have
>actually read either?

Read LOTR when I was in high school. I made it through it but it was a slog. I had read The Hobbit first and figured it would be similar. (Well, it was, in the same way that a 50-jump training weekend is similar to a boogie 8-way.)

Read Atlas Shrugged about ten years back and actually liked it.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Good one.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Despite playing on more than three times as many movie screens during its opening weekend, Atlas Shrugged II ($1,708,000) brought in nearly the exact same amount of money Atlas Shrugged I ($1,686,347) did.

Source;
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=atlasshruggedpart2.htm
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=atlasshrugged.htm

There is a limited audience for a film of this type and no matter how many screens you put it on, that audience doesn't get any bigger; it just spreads itself out per screen.

Every decision these guys make is a money loser (it costs more to put it on more screens). WTF? Did they not read the book? ;)

$1,688 per screen for opening weekend is pretty piss poor.

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Despite playing on more than three times as many movie screens during its opening weekend, Atlas Shrugged II ($1,708,000) brought in nearly the exact same amount of money Atlas Shrugged I ($1,686,347) did.

when I saw the ads for it, the question in my mind was "when did Part I come out?"