Atlas Shrugged Movie

It seems to have done reasonably well for it's first weekend - BoxOfficeMojo shows it at 14th place in the rankings, earning $5640/theater.

In contrast, Scream 4 holds the 2nd place ranking at $5656/theater. Both movies are ranked "B" by audiences, with some 75% giving Shrugged an "A" vs. 67% "A" for Scream.

Not too shabby a start, for 1/11th the showings (300 theaters vs 3300 theaters).
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Not too shabby a start, for 1/11th the showings (300 theaters vs 3300 theaters).

Which is why "per screen" average is sometimes a better indicator of interest and sometimes not.

Frequently independents will do a limited release in a smaller number of theaters to whip up interests, sometimes this backfires because they book into markets that aren't representative of the rest of the country.

It's a tricky business.

All of that said, I seriously doubt "Part 2" will ever be released in theaters based on the quality and results of "Part 1."

What John Aglialoro probably should have done was go direct to video. He could have saved a ton of distribution costs and it would be able to be seen by his entire target demo immediately which would have helped keep negative press down.

Doing what he did just poisoned it for future theatrical release, although I suppose he could go direct to video for parts 2 and 3.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

And viewer ratings is sometimes a better indication of interest than professional reviewers.

I guess the next couple weeks will tell us which prevails - viewer word-of-mouth or pundit pans.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And viewer ratings is sometimes a better indication of interest than professional reviewers.

I guess the next couple weeks will tell us which prevails - viewer word-of-mouth or pundit pans.

So... do you think the producers decision to obnly release it in areas where there is a very high percentage of true believers has ANYTHING to do with high numbers per screen??

So... do you think the producers decision to obnly release it in areas where there is a very high percentage of true believers has ANYTHING to do with high numbers per screen??

With a whopping 7800 votes for Bob Barr, whodathunk that Orange County was such the hotbed of Libertarianism that you seem to be claiming....except for you.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

With a whopping 7800 votes for Bob Barr, whodathunk that Orange County was such the hotbed of Libertarianism that you seem to be claiming....except for you.

Have you ever been to OC????

In my experience.. most of the people who CLAIM to be libertarian.. are really rePUBIClowns and vote that way over and over and over.

In my experience.. most of the people who CLAIM to be libertarian.. are really rePUBIClowns and vote that way over and over and over.

Well, thank goodness it wasn't showing in any seething Republican hotspots like Berkely, or even worse, LA.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Well, thank goodness it wasn't showing in any seething Republican hotspots like Berkely, or even worse, LA.

SO where are all those screens?????

Its not my fault there are misguided souls even in those place Mike.. Hell look at you.... Kosovo.... I spose they should have opened one there.. I mean EVERYONE there is a raving fringe right supporter there according to you right???

Those little underlined things? They're called "links" - they go to websites. In this case, websites where can buy tickets to the movie in those towns.

Its not my fault there are misguided souls even in those place Mike..

And it's not my fault that everything is some sort of vast, right-wing conspiracy to you, Jeanne.

Hell look at you.... Kosovo.... I spose they should have opened one there.. I mean EVERYONE there is a raving fringe right supporter there according to you right???

Really? Damn, I must have missed where I said that - can you point it out to me?

Of course, it *does* sorta sit at odds to your crowing about how much they LURVVVVV their Clinton statue, doesn't it?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Those little underlined things? They're called "links" - they go to websites. In this case, websites where can buy tickets to the movie in those towns.

Its not my fault there are misguided souls even in those place Mike..

And it's not my fault that everything is some sort of vast, right-wing conspiracy to you, Jeanne.

Hell look at you.... Kosovo.... I spose they should have opened one there.. I mean EVERYONE there is a raving fringe right supporter there according to you right???

Really? Damn, I must have missed where I said that - can you point it out to me?

Of course, it *does* sorta sit at odds to your crowing about how much they LURVVVVV their Clinton statue, doesn't it?

I was referring to you and your coworkers Mike since you have referred to them in the past... I suppose they can't find work in the USA either and ran away.

The people there... put up a statue of someone they look to for his support of their cause. I suppose the people there do not have their craniums FIRMLY implanted in their rectums as such a high percentage of the people in this country when it comes to their continued CDS for ole Bill.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I was referring to you and your coworkers Mike since you have referred to them in the past...

It's a mix, actually - some conservative, some liberal. Oddly enough, the libs don't think as highly of Barry as they used to.

I suppose they can't find work in the USA either and ran away.

Been on the same contract since 03 - how many places have YOU gone through in that time, again?

The people there... put up a statue of someone they look to for his support of their cause. I suppose the people there do not have their craniums FIRMLY implanted in their rectums as such a high percentage of the people in this country when it comes to their continued CDS for ole Bill.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

And not HALF as firmly as those with the continued BDS for Dubya, as you keep showing us oh-so-aptly.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I was referring to you and your coworkers Mike since you have referred to them in the past...

It's a mix, actually - some conservative, some liberal. Oddly enough, the libs don't think as highly of Barry as they used to.

I suppose they can't find work in the USA either and ran away.

Been on the same contract since 03 - how many places have YOU gone through in that time, again?

And not HALF as firmly as those with the continued BDS for Dubya, as you keep showing us oh-so-aptly.

4. different contracts and they just keep paying me more and more money on each one.... funni dat....:ph34r::ph34r:

I think most of the world... and more and more Americans think that the world under Clinton was a FAR better place... than what it became under your HERO.

4. different contracts and they just keep paying me more and more money on each one.... funni dat....:ph34r::ph34r:

They keep paying me more and more WITHOUT the job-hopping...funni dat... :ph34r::ph34r:
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

They keep paying me more and more WITHOUT the job-hopping...funni dat... :ph34r::ph34r:

Hey as long as you are good with stagnation... I guess that is all you want.. while getting your TRICKLE. Sorry but cost of living increases don't really count... but then again... you and your fellow travellers seem to see that as a BIG WIN.....I guess it is better than what your TRICKLE DOWN economics has done to so many people in this country who are seeing a real decrease in their income over the last 30 years.

Maybe someday... you will be able to get a job here in this country.... but given your support to those who want to turn most of the country into little more than minimum wage slaves below the poverty level...I doubt it.

Sorry but cost of living increases don't really count...

Oh, I get those, too....in *addition* to the merit raises.

Maybe someday... you will be able to get a job here in this country.... but given your support to those who want to turn most of the country into little more than minimum wage slaves below the poverty level...I doubt it.

I'm not a Democrat, so I don't support those who want to turn most of the country into little more than minimum wage slaves. Again, sorry to ruin your little fantasy.

Honestly, Jeanne...the way you keep getting your ass handed to you in these little interchanges, I'd think you'd be intelligent enough to realize that they don't work and you won't win.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Sorry but cost of living increases don't really count...

Oh, I get those, too....in *addition* to the merit raises.

I'm not a Democrat, so I don't support those who want to turn most of the country into little more than minimum wage slaves. Again, sorry to ruin your little fantasy.

Honestly, Jeanne...the way you keep getting your ass handed to you in these little interchanges, I'd think you'd be intelligent enough to realize that they don't work and you won't win.

Only in a very delusional never is heard a discouraging word right wing mind.

Its not the Democrats by the way that fostered thebend over and grab their ankles economic polices in hopes of a little TRICKLE from their lords and masters since 1981

Part 2 in theaters 10/12/12

http://www.atlasshruggedmovie.com/

Ought to be "interesting." Currently slated to run in about the same number of theaters the first one did; 300.

Not really sure why they decided to do that rather than direct to DVD and Internet sales. Based on the last release it makes no sense. Current box office estimates by people who keep track of such things is pretty abysmal.

Here are the numbers for the first film.
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=atlasshrugged.htm

I don't understand their business model. Makes no sense.

Definitely ironic that a Randian film about objectivist capitalism fails miserably at making money and then a sequel gets made which looks as if it's going to repeat the failure. Kind of the definition of bad business.

Then again, maybe it's not supposed to make money. Maybe it's just supposed to whip up the right wing voters?
quade -

Then again, maybe it's not supposed to make money.

I doubt they expected it to make a profit. There are people who want to get an important message out about the future of this country.

Maybe it's just supposed to whip up the right wing voters?

I certainly hope it does.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Then again, maybe it's not supposed to make money.

I doubt they expected it to make a profit. There are people who want to get an important message out about the future of this country.

What? That some bad businessmen make shitty movies? ;)

“If you want to send a message, use Western Union.” -- Sam Goldwyn
quade -

But then a commercially successful film would do better at getting the message out too, no? After all, a commercial flop is a film that no-one goes to see.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

But then a commercially successful film would do better at getting the message out too, no? After all, a commercial flop is a film that no-one goes to see.

Ha. :D:D But to make it commercially successful, you have to make it appeal to the general public, not just that one strange anti-social IT tech that spouts Rand rants to everyone.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Ha. :D:D But to make it commercially successful, you have to make it appeal to the general public, not just that one strange anti-social IT tech that spouts Rand rants to everyone.

It's worse, I NEEEEED to see more!:P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

You didn't seriously think anything about that film was good; did you? It's laughably bad in terms of acting, writing, directing, sets, effects. I heard a rumor even the catering sucked.

Other than the punchline, that's not a joke either. It was Bad with a capital "B."
quade -

You didn't seriously think anything about that film was good; did you? It's laughably bad in terms of acting, writing, directing, sets, effects. I heard a rumor even the catering sucked.

Other than the punchline, that's not a joke either. It was Bad with a capital "B."

What part of my post made you think think I said it was a good movie? If you read the book with the insufferably long sermon in the middle, you would have just laughed at my use of "Need" With the Winky, Tongue Sticky Out ness. Sheesh! [:/]:S:D:D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9