jgoose71

Obama to troops: Don't worry, I'll still get paid.

The worst part of this whole debate is the Obama Administration's decision to hold military pay hostage to the budget debate. For the last few decades, government shutdowns have been guided by an OMB directive issued during the Reagan Administration. Under this directive, military personnel would continue to receive the paychecks while politicians argued about the budget. The Clinton Administration, during the last government shutdown, kept the paychecks flowing.

But, not Obama.

The Obama Administration has overturned the old OMB directive and has decided to suspend military paychecks if there is a government shutdown. No reason to do it…but they have decided to. Reprehensible.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/bio/userletter/?letter_id=6721155136&content_dir=congressorg

Meanwhile, Boehner has stated that he will not be taking a paycheck while the budget is not passed. Seems others are following in his foot steps:

He noted that during a shutdown, “all members would be paid pursuant to the provisions of the 27th Amendment to the United States Constitution which states that no law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.”

If members want to return their pay to the Treasury, Boehner added, they should contact the Committee on House Administration for assistance.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/2chambers/post/boehner-will-not-take-salary-during-shutdown/2011/04/08/AFr63A2C_blog.html

Which is a nice gesture, but who is coming to help the guys who need to worry about staying alive rather than if their families have enough for food? Why, those greedy banks of course:

The Navy Federal Credit Union, the country’s largest credit union, said Thursday it would cover the April 15 direct-deposit paychecks of its military customers even if there’s a government shutdown because of an impasse over spending between Democrats and Republicans.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/04/07/credit-union-to-advance-pay-for-military-customers/

So much for democrats protecting the little guy. They are to busy squabbling over $61billion in spending cuts, which is like 3 days of government spending. Never saw a spending bill they didn't like.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

>is the Obama Administration's decision to hold military pay hostage to the budget
>debate.

Stop paying government employees? Starve the beast? Sounds like a GOP wet dream!

Greedy corporations looking out for the little guy and democrats starving the beast. Who knew?:ph34r:
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

>Greedy corporations looking out for the little guy and democrats starving the beast. Who knew?

Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes . . . The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

>Greedy corporations looking out for the little guy and democrats starving the beast. Who knew?

Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes . . . The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

your anti-progress agenda is really inspiring
:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Where did you get the quote for the title of your thread? or did you just make it up?

Perhaps you have forgotten what party has and is still trying to slice veterans benefits. Fucking Republicans, all in favor of the troop until they get wounded, then it's fuck em.

Another pathetic example of right wing thinking.

This is what the tea bagger bachman wants to do:

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/01/28/bachmann-veterans/

Where did you get the quote for the title of your thread? or did you just make it up?

Perhaps you have forgotten what party has and is still trying to slice veterans benefits. Fucking Republicans, all in favor of the troop until they get wounded, then it's fuck em.

Oh shush... the Chickenhawks think that is great public policy, they only talk a good game when its time to SEND the troops as they like to do.

Instead of changing the topic, why don't you tell us if the TITLE of this thread is true or not true.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Instead of changing the topic, why don't you tell us if the TITLE of this thread is true or not true.

I'll go ahead and answer the questions for him. Yes it's true. President Obama passed directive M-11-13 to the Office of Management and Budget saying that if the government shuts down, the military won't get paid. He did this knowing full well we are in 2 wars and then involved us in a third.

We got personnel living under the poverty level fighting in wars in foreign lands wondering what there family is going to do to eat. No matter what lie he posts about Bachman, I really can't think of anything more despicable.

I'm really glad to see that the government isn't shutting down though. Especially if the Democrats are using the military as pawns.

The worst part of this whole debate is the Obama Administration's decision to hold military pay hostage to the budget debate. For the last few decades, government shutdowns have been guided by an OMB directive issued during the Reagan Administration. Under this directive, military personnel would continue to receive the paychecks while politicians argued about the budget. The Clinton Administration, during the last government shutdown, kept the paychecks flowing.

But, not Obama.

The Obama Administration has overturned the old OMB directive and has decided to suspend military paychecks if there is a government shutdown. No reason to do it…but they have decided to.

Reprehensible.

Great talking point. But where exactly in the supporting documentation for this claim? You point to M11-13 but there's no mention there of the military or of overturning any previous OMB directives.

I'll go ahead and answer the questions for him. Yes it's true. President Obama passed directive M-11-13 to the Office of Management and Budget saying that if the government shuts down, the military won't get paid. He did this knowing full well we are in 2 wars and then involved us in a third.

We got personnel living under the poverty level fighting in wars in foreign lands wondering what there family is going to do to eat. No matter what lie he posts about Bachman, I really can't think of anything more despicable.

I'm really glad to see that the government isn't shutting down though. Especially if the Democrats are using the military as pawns.

Where is your evidence that Obama excluded the troops from being payed if the government shut down? I have seen lots of Republicans talk shit the last week, but none have said Obama gave an executive order to signal out the military from being payed.

Once again, where did you get the TITLE for your thread? Can you tell me when and where Obama said it?

Just for shits and giggles, google " Democrats and veterans" and then " Republicans and veterans" and then try and be honest with your self. notice a slight trend in the search results.

But, not Obama.

The Obama Administration has overturned the old OMB directive and has decided to suspend military paychecks if there is a government shutdown. No reason to do it…but they have decided to.

Reprehensible.

Great talking point. But where exactly in the supporting documentation for this claim? You point to M11-13 but there's no mention there of the military or of overturning any previous OMB directives.

Let me try to attempt to translate government speak so you know exactly what came from where.

M-11-13 was the directive that said "get ready, we are shutting down."

The Directive that said who did what in a shut down was OMB Circular A-11 found here:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars_a11_current_year_a11_toc

Part 4 section 124 says this about a lack of funding:

Within the guidance established by the opinions issued by the Department of Justice and this Circular, agency heads must decide what activities are essential to operate their agencies during an appropriations hiatus. Address questions that you cannot answer to OMB. Address questions about the interpretation of the Antideficiency Act jointly to OMB and the Office of Legal Counsel of the Department of Justice.

So the Department of Justice, who falls under the executive branch, decides who still works, who doesn't, who gets paid, and who don't.

When the shut down was about to happen, the DOJ gave drafted a memo to give to the DOD telling them how to do business during the shutdown. The memo was leaked so the DOD could make ready. Here is the details given to the military via Army Times:
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/03/military-contingency-plan-government-shutdown-031111w/

Now you can't say Obama didn't know what the DOJ was doing. Everyone knew what was going on. That's why H.R. 1297 was drafted. Here is the details to that:
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h1297/show

Then to follow up, Obama's reaction to H.R. 1297:
http://www.examiner.com/political-buzz-in-philadelphia/obama-vows-to-veto-stopgap-bill-extending-military-pay

Now if anyone has any evidence to say that Obama wasn't using the military as a pawn, go ahead and post it.

I've shown that I know how to use google, please feel free to do the same.

Allowing congress to keep their pay while the military loses theirs is like getting rid of all of the firefighters and then sending checks to the arsonists.......

Listen, I hate to break the news to you but the military is funded through the federal Government.
If the Federal money runs out military people get no paychecks.
Why is that so hard to fathom?

If you were in the private sector and the company you workrd for suddenly had no money in the bank, guess what.., no paycheck.

Military personelle voluntarily chose their employer.
I hate it that they didn't consider in their zeal to kill brown people the fact that one day their paycheck might be late or even not coming.
Not my problem and I don't feel too sorry for them.

Pick your employer or start your own buisiness but please. please, please big green uniformed guys/gals..,

Please don't cry to the media when your check may be a bit late.
It's disrespectfull of the uniform we've allowed you to wear.

Peace,
Jim B.

It's disrespectfull of the uniform we've allowed you to wear

Nice. Like you had a say in who gets to enlist. Bitter much? Pretty disrespectful for those who allow you to live off the backs of those who provide a country to live obliviously in.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Pretty disrespectful for those who allow you to live off the backs of those who provide a country to live obliviously in

What? Who "allow"me ?
What are you trying to say?
Could you try again? All I'm hearing is "Gatorade,it's got electrolytes".

Peace,
Jim B.

the "we've allowed you to wear" bit. It impiles ownership of selection of employment. You are not on that board and don't have the ownership of "We".

All I'm hearing is "Gatorade,it's got electrolytes".

Sometimes the partyline isn't inflated crap. Sometimes the partyline is a reflection of truth rather than bullshit to rally an opinion. I doubt your credibility or ability in choosing which is correct.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

the "we've allowed you to wear" bit. It impiles ownership of selection of employment. You are not on that board and don't have the ownership of "We".***

I am a citizen of the United States of America and We the People are the ones in charge of hiring and firing.
Yes , all these cry baby military types on the news latley yanks my chain.
Try living in the real world sometime camo cheeks.
Checks aren't guaranteed when you expect them.

Wearing camo as you suck off of the government tit only differentiates you from any other welfare queen by the fact that she doesn't wear camo.
Oh, pardon me, She doesn't generally have lice and fleas either.

Peace,
Jim B.

I am a citizen of the United States of America and We the People are the ones in charge of hiring and firing.

Fire me then. I expect to see my DD214 filled out correctly within the week.

Try living in the real world sometime camo cheeks.
Checks aren't guaranteed when you expect them.

You are right. That's why I acquired rental properties. However, according to Govt rules, they are guaranteed. It's the matter of when. You see: Had they have withold paying us, they would just have given us backpay when they were able. Us leadership and businesses that we use were willing to assist those who may have had issues of payments(Such as NFCU and others).

Wearing camo as you suck off of the government tit only differentiates you from any other welfare queen by the fact that she doesn't wear camo

I think I will spend your hard earned tax payments on a nice Caddilac. Or a hooker. Enjoy your studio apartment.:D:D

I think I will spend your hard earned tax payments on a nice Caddilac. Or a hooker. Enjoy your studio apartment.:D:D

Studio apartment? Those are for losers!!!!
Right now I'm living under a tarp on the bank of Lake Jacossee , SC.

The most beautiful lake I've ever encountered.
Canoeing, fishing, cooking on an open fire every day.

I'll never leave here alive!!!!

Peace,
Jim B.

Oh, thank God. I thought you were living off the teat of some corporation trying to make a dollar off your labor. You really should use a van. B|That way you can say to your pals: "You will be living in a van down by the river". You see, "You will be living under a tarp on a bank" just doesn't have the same impact on young kids afraid of poverty. It's just too romantic. Here in San diego, we have a similar quote: "you could be living in a boat on the bay" if you don't finish high school. I applaud your living off the teat of the local city govt. It's not the same living in section 8 housing as on a river. The "roughing it" takes away the "sucking off the teat" prejudice.:P:)

Oh, thank God. I thought you were living off the teat of some corporation trying to make a dollar off your labor. You really should use a van. B|That way you can say to your pals: "You will be living in a van down by the river".

I've always liked that quote but unfortunately, here at Lake Jacosee there is no access for vans close to the water.

You could stay close to the water in the daily fee state park, I guess.

But this lake is hardly developed and a man can live like a pioneer here.
I'm lovin' it!!!

Peace,
Jmi B

You see, "You will be living under a tarp on a bank" just doesn't have the same impact on young kids afraid of poverty. It's just too romantic. Here in San diego, we have a similar quote: "you could be living in a boat on the bay" if you don't finish high school. I applaud your living off the teat of the local city govt. It's not the same living in section 8 housing as on a river. The "roughing it" takes away the "sucking off the teat" prejudice.:P:)