CarrieByTheSea

This is Going to Sound Pretentious, but...(Federal vs. County Jury Duty)

"5. ATTIRE: Please dress appopriately. Casual clothes are not appropriate. A coat and tie for a man, a dress or pants suit for a woman, or military or other uniform are appropriate."

I don't wear that for work, and my company controls trillions of dollars. Why would I do that for someone paying me 1/50th as much? And since the duty involves hours of sitting in front of idiot lawyers, I'm going to dress as comfortably as possible - that likely means long sleeve T and yoga pants, and as always, running shoes.

I'm so happy to live in a region where no one expects you to wear a tie, and in fact it's often detrimental to do so in an interview.

Why would I do that for someone paying me 1/50th as much?

As previously stated, because you were asked to in return for the many privileges of living in America.

Clearly it is an instruction that is very upsetting to a lot of posters here and thus they have decided if it is not important to them, then who cares?

Like you, I do not wear such attire to work, and I would not be paid anything at all in county. I figure if it is written there, in bold, then I can suck it up for one day and comply with what was instructed to me.

I'm going to dress as comfortably as possible

I would hope if one were to invest in just one dress, pants suit or coat & tie they would opt for a comfortable one.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

Having been bored with the clothing conversation for some time, I will leave it now with one suggestion:

Since so many people are very passionate about their reluctance to comply with any sort of attire requirement for jury duty, write your congressmen and point out this injustice and rally for change. It is nothing less than I do when I am upset with the current state of affairs for something that matters to me.

Since so many people are very passionate about their reluctance to comply with any sort of attire requirement for jury duty, write your congressmen and point out this injustice and rally for change.

OK, I didn't read every single post, but I got the impression from this thread that most county courts do not have the same attire requirement that yours does.(?) As I mentioned, my requirement was "no shorts," and I had no trouble complying with that. Though I'll admit that, had it been more specific as yours was, I would have made an effort to comply with that as well.

I just can't believe the sheer immaturity by some of the posters here over something as simple as a dress code. Get over yourselves, be adults and accept that not all social conformity strips you or your radical individualism that makes you such a badass. The "don't tell me what I can where" mantra sounds more like an oppositional 6 year old than it does an adult that can function in society.

If you really do not have clothes that fit the dress code of whatever venue that requires your presence, well you can make that known to those who dictate the dress code or, as most people do, adapt your wardrobe to fit the variety of different circumstances you may find yourself in, within reason (i mean really, how many own a tux? not me). As has been stated before in this thread, you can easily do so for very little money.

If you don't want to do so simply b/c you have a FTW, non-comformist attitude, don't be surprised when those with far more muscle and power than you decide to f*ck you in return. You'd enjoy that, wouldn't you? Probably not, but you'd deserve it. The sad thing is that those with that attitude usually will blame those with the societal dictums rather than themselves for the f*cking they received.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I just can't believe the sheer immaturity by some of the posters here over something as simple as a dress code. Get over yourselves, be adults and accept that not all social conformity strips you or your radical individualism that makes you such a badass. The "don't tell me what I can where" mantra sounds more like an oppositional 6 year old than it does an adult that can function in society.

If you really do not have clothes that fit the dress code of whatever venue that requires your presence, well you can make that known to those who dictate the dress code or, as most people do, adapt your wardrobe to fit the variety of different circumstances you may find yourself in, within reason (i mean really, how many own a tux? not me). As has been stated before in this thread, you can easily do so for very little money.

If you don't want to do so simply b/c you have a FTW, non-comformist attitude, don't be surprised when those with far more muscle and power than you decide to f*ck you in return. You'd enjoy that, wouldn't you? Probably not, but you'd deserve it. The sad thing is that those with that attitude usually will blame those with the societal dictums rather than themselves for the f*cking they received.

I'm going to assume that the only reason you're replying to me with this rant is that I was the last person who posted. Otherwise, it makes no sense in reply to anything that I have posted.

I'm going to assume that the only reason you're replying to me with this rant is that I was the last person who posted. Otherwise, it makes no sense in reply to anything that I have posted.

You are correct. :$ Sorry about that.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

you guys are making me feel horrible.

Ya, welcome to SC...that's how these people get off...

There is no reason to feel horrible...

Not pretentious in the least!

There_IS_mention on each summons I have received.

"5. ATTIRE: Please dress appopriately. Casual clothes are not appropriate. A coat and tie for a man, a dress or pants suit for a woman, or military or other uniform are appropriate."

Not to much to ask, is it?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Others in that group are just like you - citizens of the United States, doing their patriotic duty by wasting a day of their lives doing jury duty.

Oh, ok...that says it all. Due process is just a waste of time?

I much rather live among citizens like Carrie who actually give a shit.

I'm going to dress as comfortably as possible

I would hope if one were to invest in just one dress, pants suit or coat & tie they would opt for a comfortable one.

You've never worn a tie, I take it?

You've never worn an ensemble that cost more than $100 I take it...:P

You've never worn a tie, I take it?

Actually, I have. But, wearing a coat & tie to yoga class would be as appropriate as my yoga clothes to jury duty, though I am pretty sure if it fancied me, a coat & tie would not restrict me in any way from touching my nose to my knees and beyond.

Edit: Technically the summons did not mention pants for the man, so I am thinking your yoga pants and a coat & tie would really be a bold statement of self-expression, and at least everyone would still know you like yoga.

:P

Edit: Technically the summons did not mention pants for the man, so I am thinking your yoga pants and a coat & tie would really be a bold statement of self-expression, and at least everyone would still know you like yoga.

I don't actually. But the pants are comfortable.

I do not currently even own a coat and tie (and intend to keep it that way if at all possible) and would certainly not go buy one because the summons told me so.

Just a heads up.
I have never been a coat and tie guy. Jeans and button down , polos , and t-shirts were what I've worn for any occasion.
I would never wear a tie much less a suit.
When my mother passed a few weeks ago I had to scramble to get appropriate attire to wear to the funeral of the most influential woman of my life.

You may want to expand your wardrobe options now when there is no rush.

Just a thought.

Peace,
JimB.

Not into yoga, but likes the pants. Are you big &/or tall?

I did not_see_anyone wearing a coat & tie and yoga pants at jury duty, so it would be tough to make any other assesment based on stated attire alone.

Not into yoga, but likes the pants. Are you big &/or tall?

I did not_see_anyone wearing a coat & tie and yoga pants at jury duty, so it would be tough to make any other assesment based on stated attire alone.

keep digging yourself that hole.

As written by Bill earlier, it's moronic to make so many judgments on attire rather than actions. And a significant portion of it in recent history was a passive form of racism.

Thankfully, we have California, can ignore most of this bullshit.

As written by Bill earlier, it's moronic to make so many judgments on attire rather than actions. And a significant portion of it in recent history was a passive form of racism.

Thankfully, we have California, can ignore most of this bullshit.

For all I know you do not even own a pair of yoga pants and set up a false scenario. Or, I was wrong to think you might like yoga having stated you wear yoga pants.

I am not always right.