SEREJumper

Eating Organic

So what do you say?

I say it's a pretty tough subject. On the one hand, yeah, it's probably a lot healthier depending on what item you're talking about. Some items, it's just not that big of a deal.

On the other hand, while it is sustainable as far as agriculture goes, it doesn't have a high enough yield to be practical and feed the world.

On yet a third hand, for those blessed with extras via Monsanto . . . there is that.

Either way we're pretty f'ed as a planet. We're rapidly closing in on a global food deficit; not being enough to feed everyone. According to some sources, we're already past that point today. We've seriously f'ed up traditional food creation countries in such a way that they can no longer make enough food to support their own people.

Then, there are the bees.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

So what do you say?

I grow my own Apples... peaches ... pears ... cherries ... blueberries .... and a wide variety of veggies I grow.. and do not use poisons to grow them. I save the very best seeds from the very best beggies year after year to grow.

I catch and process quite a bit of salmon ... halibut ... ling cod ... rock fish clams... oysters... black mussels and dungeness crab that I catch myself. BUT... I do try to eat as much stuff that I can without all the chemical addities.

I like being healthy.. and I like being self sufficient as much as I can

I grow my own Apples... peaches ... pears ... cherries ... blueberries .... and a wide variety of veggies I grow.. and do not use poisons to grow them. I save the very best seeds from the very best beggies year after year to grow.

I catch and process quite a bit of salmon ... halibut ... ling cod ... rock fish clams... oysters... black mussels and dungeness crab that I catch myself. BUT... I do try to eat as much stuff that I can without all the chemical addities.

I like being healthy.. and I like being self sufficient as much as I can

Now that's cool. I'm hoping to be able to do this someday ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I think eating non processed whole foods is the first key focus.

I need to work on that first.

I am envious of Amazon's response, pretty cool! I hope to be there some day when I don't spend so much time at work!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I cannot afford to eat a completely organic diet. I am also sceptical of many of the claims. I do however pay more for chemical and anti-biotic free food in some cases.
I will generally pay more for organic berries (about 25%) but not avocados (~300%).
Poultry is, in my opinion one of the least healthily farmed products so I am fairly fastidious about eating free range, anti-biotic free eggs. I prefer free range poultry but find it hard to find here in Alberta. There is a group called "free from" who are committed to raising their birds without anti-biotics.
I do not eat farmed fish.
Organic beef or pork is just too expensive.

I don't mind paying a little more for something that's pesticide/chemical free, but I'm not willing to be a sucker. At the local supermarkets, "organic" milk is literally 3 times the price of the "regular" milk. Screw that.

I think the milk example is a good one.

Organic milk is way more expensive than regular milk.

I don't see any advantages to organic milk over regular milk. I think there are huge advantages of raw milk (regular or organic) over pasturized regular or organic milk.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I don't mind paying a little more for something that's pesticide/chemical free, but I'm not willing to be a sucker. At the local supermarkets, "organic" milk is literally 3 times the price of the "regular" milk. Screw that.

I think the milk example is a good one.

Organic milk is way more expensive than regular milk.

I don't see any advantages to organic milk over regular milk. I think there are huge advantages of raw milk (regular or organic) over pasturized regular or organic milk.

I guess I'm lucky. They overcharge for everything here, so organic milk is only a dollar or two more than regular, and it just tastes better. But don't expect me to start refusing anything that isn't "certified organic." In most places, you'd have to be certifiable. I'll get the free range "stuff-free" food when I can, but let's be honest, if you're in it for the animals, you'd be vegetarian. I'm in it for me.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

My favorites are the skinny yellow malnourished vegans running around using all kinds of plastic, rubber, and petroleum based products. Yep, you're animal friendly snowflake. You're just killing the planet while you do it.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I cannot afford to eat a completely organic diet. I am also sceptical of many of the claims. I do however pay more for chemical and anti-biotic free food in some cases.

You should be sceptical of these claims. I know you indicated you are in canada but the labeling here in the U.S. can be extremely misleading. Free-range chickens, for instance, have very, very likely never been outside of the chicken house. To qualify for that label they have to have had "access" to a small plot of grass outside the chicken house for a limited portion of their life.

The only way to really know the cconditions of a particular farm is to buy local and see the conditions for youself. Unfortunately that is not very practical for many people.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

>Unless vegetarians have their own garden and a greenhouse to grow year
>round they aren't as eco and animal friendly as they would like to think.

Local farms (CSA's) are both a good way to get cheaper local organic produce and a good way to reduce overall waste.

Not that I'm a vegetarian, but at least I can fathom that its possible to dislike eating meat without being a pretentious hypocrite :)
Perhaps you just live in one of those parts of america where people tend to be "a bit larger", and normal sized people seem malnourished to you? But chances are those people you see getting breakfast lunch and dinner at the burger king drive thru who are at a more geographically average weight are far more malnourished than a vegetarian.

Unless vegetarians have their own garden and a greenhouse to grow year round they aren't as eco and animal friendly as they would like to think.

You can process and vacum seal your excess veggies and meat during the best seasons when they are abundant and freeze all your excess. They are not so great for salads.. but they are good for baking or stews.... nice hearty stews.:)

Not that I'm a vegetarian, but at least I can fathom that its possible to dislike eating meat without being a pretentious hypocrite :)
Perhaps you just live in one of those parts of america where people tend to be "a bit larger", and normal sized people seem malnourished to you?

Perhaps you have no idea what you're talking about, hove no idea what I'm thinking, and are in fact completely full of it. Have fun with that.

But chances are those people you see getting breakfast lunch and dinner at the burger king drive thru who are at a more geographically average weight are far more malnourished than a vegetarian.

Really? How many of them are turning yellow from jaundice? Or losing teeth and finger nails? Most of the vegans I've dealt with looked more sickly that the bleach-blonde smiling bimbos in Hollywood. Those lard-assed imbecilies at BurgerKing are killing themselves just as surely as the moronic vegans.

disclaimer for reasonable people: I know there are healthy vegans out there. I've spent time with them. But the preachy blathering and constant propaganda get very annoying. I've yet to meet a vegan who didn't.
witty subliminal message
1*

Really? How many of them are turning yellow from jaundice? Or losing teeth and finger nails?

Um, none I've ever met.

Most of the vegans I've dealt with looked more sickly that the bleach-blonde smiling bimbos in Hollywood.

Where are you dealing with these people? I've yet to meet a vegan who looks anything like the anorectic chicks on TV.

disclaimer for reasonable people: I know there are healthy vegans out there. I've spent time with them. But the preachy blathering and constant propaganda get very annoying. I've yet to meet a vegan who didn't.

I know a few vegans, and a bunch of vegetarians. None of them, including my wife and best friend, have ever preached or blathered at me. You need to find less dickish friends.

As far as being eco-friendly, I don't think the goal of vegan or vegetarians is to be eco-friendly. There may be overlap, but all the veggie eaters I know do it to avoid supporting animal cruelty inherent in the factory farm industry, not to lessen their impact on the environment.

- Dan G

I know lots of vegetarians. A minority of them are vegan, too. Most of them are so due mainly to ethical considerations. None of them are preachy or dogmatic; in fact they're quite understated about it to others. They look normal, they act normal, they talk normal..ly.

Just my 2 strips of gold-pressed latinum.

They overcharge for everything here, so organic milk is only a dollar or two more than regular, and it just tastes better.

Organic milk does taste better (to me), but I believe the taste is due to the "ultra-pasteurization" process it typically goes through, which regular milk does not. This also increases the shelf life, which is a plus for me since we don't go through milk very fast. The regular milk always went bad before we could finish it, so we probably make up the $ by actually using the whole carton of organic. (Not sure why they don't usually treat regular milk with the same process.)

It's a mecca for vegetarians - even Safeway stocks items suitable for their needs.

Un-fucking-believable. I bet their marketing gurus even came up with names that resonate with their target markets! Something like... mmm.. I don't know... vegetables?
Remster

It's a mecca for vegetarians - even Safeway stocks items suitable for their needs.

Un-fucking-believable. I bet their marketing gurus even came up with names that resonate with their target markets! Something like... mmm.. I don't know... vegetables?

it's actually more about soy products, milk and cheese substitutes.

Getting vegetables is the easy part for vegetarians. Getting acceptable protein sources is not. Hence the yellow ones being discussed here.

You should be sceptical of these claims. I know you indicated you are in canada but the labeling here in the U.S. can be extremely misleading. Free-range chickens, for instance, have very, very likely never been outside of the chicken house. To qualify for that label they have to have had "access" to a small plot of grass outside the chicken house for a limited portion of their life.

The only way to really know the cconditions of a particular farm is to buy local and see the conditions for youself. Unfortunately that is not very practical for many people.

Same thing here. It is best to know the farmer. Generally the farmers here will call the birds "free run" which means they have access to the out doors. The truth is they are unlikely to willingly go outside during the winter. The keys are whether they have nests or live in boxes, and whether there are anti-biotics in their feed. I shop a lot at farmers' markets and get a good idea from talking to the farmers. The fellow who told me he puts a couple of eggs back into the feed to brighten up the yolks is not my first choice.