quade

Yes, because atheist = Islamist?

I am currently deep in the bible belt. I find it quite amusing how similar it is to islamic society. For example I have seen a number of priests in their black robes and the ONLY differences between them and an imam are it is a bible not a koran and a cross hanging from their neck.

It is funny how similar parts of the US are to the middle east. Even funnier that it is those parts that misunderstand the middle east the most.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I am currently deep in the bible belt. I find it quite amusing how similar it is to islamic society. For example I have seen a number of priests in their black robes and the ONLY differences between them and an imam are it is a bible not a koran and a cross hanging from their neck.

It is funny how similar parts of the US are to the middle east. Even funnier that it is those parts that misunderstand the middle east the most.

Religious nutcakes (reduntant term) are all the same. You can take what they say and change the proper nouns and it would come out the same. They all say, "My way is the only way. All other ways lead to damnation." All the different beliefs have their fundamentalists and all of them spout the same shit. It makes me wonder if there is a "fundamentalist gene." They have found a homosexual gene. Some people are born that way. There may be a "fundamentalist gene" and some people are born THAT way. I would feel better about them if that were so. To think that anyone chooses to be such an asshole is really upsetting.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I think to many people, "atheist" refers to "someone who doesn't believe in my god(s)." In older times, I think that is what it most often meant. Even Christians were referred to as "atheists" by certain others.

For a long time, I thought it had a pretty simple definition. But over the years, I've realized it means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. And I keep coming back to realizing that it's not very useful as a label for myself, but I still tend to use it out of habit or something.

It is funny that he sees America becoming both atheist and radical Islamic at the same time.

Although its worth a laugh and he's a right wing nutter, at least I can see his point:

There's both an external threat (radical Islam) and a weakening of internal defenses at the same time (atheists, presumably liberals).

If you're defending a castle against an attack you don't want part of your population opening the drawbridge in welcome because they are overly trusting.

Parts of Europe are going over similar worries about radical Islam in its immigrant populations, but perhaps without quite the US style internal divisions of "Christians vs. atheists".

(But the question for Newt becomes, what happened to those militant anti-Christmas etc. atheists he probably has ranted about? Are they only against HIS religion, or can their energy be harnessed in his struggle against radical Islam?)

God bless Amurika.

and in some time it will be called Omarica

only when the sharia will be federal law! :P

Only rednecks and southern country highschool dropouts would think that America will replace its constitution with Sharia Law... Get serious bro..

obviously i was joking bro.. :D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Newtspeak:
Term: Atheist
Definition: Someone who follows a religion other than mine.

Further clarification - who follows the religion I currently follow (given his recent conversion to Catholicism).

Great to see that this has-been's campaign is off to such a great start. He and Palin are intent on dooming the GOP. At least it will make for a fun primary, rather than the boring Democratic process of reselecting Obama with great reservation (and no actual options).

Religious nutcakes (reduntant term) are all the same. You can take what they say and change the proper nouns and it would come out the same. They all say, "My way is the only way. All other ways lead to damnation." All the different beliefs have their fundamentalists and all of them spout the same shit. It makes me wonder if there is a "fundamentalist gene." They have found a homosexual gene. Some people are born that way. There may be a "fundamentalist gene" and some people are born THAT way. I would feel better about them if that were so. To think that anyone chooses to be such an asshole is really upsetting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2003/godonbrain.shtml

Rudi Affolter and Gwen Tighe have both experienced strong religious visions. He is an atheist; she a Christian. He thought he had died; she thought she had given birth to Jesus. Both have temporal lobe epilepsy.

Like other forms of epilepsy, the condition causes fitting but it is also associated with religious hallucinations. Research into why people like Rudi and Gwen saw what they did has opened up a whole field of brain science: neurotheology.

The connection between the temporal lobes of the brain and religious feeling has led one Canadian scientist to try stimulating them. (They are near your ears.) 80% of Dr Michael Persinger's experimental subjects report that an artificial magnetic field focused on those brain areas gives them a feeling of 'not being alone'. Some of them describe it as a religious sensation.

Religious beliefs are a malfunction of the brain.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2003/godonbrain.shtml

Rudi Affolter and Gwen Tighe have both experienced strong religious visions. He is an atheist; she a Christian. He thought he had died; she thought she had given birth to Jesus. Both have temporal lobe epilepsy.

Like other forms of epilepsy, the condition causes fitting but it is also associated with religious hallucinations. Research into why people like Rudi and Gwen saw what they did has opened up a whole field of brain science: neurotheology.

The connection between the temporal lobes of the brain and religious feeling has led one Canadian scientist to try stimulating them. (They are near your ears.) 80% of Dr Michael Persinger's experimental subjects report that an artificial magnetic field focused on those brain areas gives them a feeling of 'not being alone'. Some of them describe it as a religious sensation.

Religious beliefs are a malfunction of the brain.

In Morgan Freeman's "Through the Wormhole" he talks about this. It's the same Dr. Persinger.

http://wormholeriders.com/blog/?p=15167

I remember a quote (but not who said it), "If God did not exist, we would invent him." It appears that we did.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?