muff528

Radiation Info

This is true in some senses and not the whole story in others. While it is true that K is under pretty solid homeostatic control, any potassium-40 is going to be almost completely absorbed by the body, absorbed into the bloodstream, and distributed throughout the body. Potassium-40 has a biological half-life of about 30 days.

In the body it not only emits beta radiation from natural decay (with a half life of about a billion years - slightly longer than U-235) but it also emits gamma radiation through its electron-capture decay. U-235 is an alpha emitter - alpha radiation is not a very good penetrator and will cause surface damage (think sunburn). Beta particles are more penetrating than alpha while gamma particles are even more penetrating.than beta.

All reactors except for #3 at the Fukushima I plant use low enriched uranium - U-235 (#3 uses MOX). Fukushima II uses U-235 (correct me if I'm wrong, Kallend).

Considering the beta/alpha emissions that we see in Fukushimas I and II, with billion year half-lives and ingestion being primary concerns, it seems to me that bananas form a pretty nice comparison to what's going on in Japan. Sure, one could view difference between absorption of potassium and iodine as differences (yes, excess iodine will be soaked up by the thyroid) but one must also consider that hyperkalemia develops in those with renal failure - something that is becoming increasingly common as is the use of anti steroidal non-inflammatories, which also limit the body's ability to eliminate potassium.

What's more dangerous? Radiation with a half-life of 88 years or something with a half-life of 88,000 years? There are differences of opinion but I'd rather be near something that will half decompose into radiation over 88,000 years than something that will half decompose in 88 years. Like burning a log over a few hours is much easier to be around than a whole log burning in a few seconds.

Depending on the radiation, I find the "banana equivalent dose" to be a fine way of "comparing," if not necessarily "explaining."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

For something really interesting, google "banana equivalent dose."

I recall the "milligram per kilogram mouse" as an interesting unit in a toxicity class.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.