wmw999

Why is same-sex marriage wrong?

>Everyone has the "right" to marry. Homosexuals have the same rights as
>everyone else.

Agreed 100%.

They should.. but they do not have the same rights ESPECIALLY when it comes to the benefits bestowed by the state upon those who are "married".

A homosexual man in most of the states of this country does have the right to marry... a WOMAN but certainly not another MAN.

Anyone who believes that homosecuals currently have the same rights... shows a vast deep pool of ignorance that they are shoosing to swim in.

There have been MANY thousands of stories of those in very long term relationships with their partners in life being stripped of everything by the "loving" family of the partner when their partner dies because they were denied the "rights" most people take for granted.

The list of the actual inequalities is long and disgusting but certainly plays well as a punitive lesson to those horrible sinners as so many see them.:S:S

>They should.. but they do not have the same rights ESPECIALLY when it comes to
>the benefits bestowed by the state upon those who are "married".

Well, they do in some places; five states now allow it. California did for a while, and since there are now tens of thousands of legally married gay couples there (and no one has started marrying their cars) I suspect it will return here pretty quickly.

So the next generation is growing up with gay marriage as a fact of life, and that means that they won't have the same reservations that the older generations have about it. Which means that it will happen sooner or later; hopefully sooner.

I'm going to guess that 80%+ of the anti-homosexual movement are religious folks. I mean, the bible does state that it's blasphemy, and we should listen to the word of god:

"You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."(Lev. 18:22)

However, I too can quote the bible!

"But if the thing is true, that the tokens of virginity were not found in the young woman, then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones..."(Deuteronomy 22:20-21)

I killed my stupid whore of a wife because she wasn't a virgin. Oh yea, and to anyone reading this that isn't white:

"Slaves, obey your human masters with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ." (Ephesians 6:5)

"Slaves are to be submissive to their masters in everything, and to be well-pleasing, not talking back ." (Titus 2:9)

....hey, God said it. I just endorse it.

....(not really)

"Slaves, obey your human masters with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ." (Ephesians 6:5)

"Slaves are to be submissive to their masters in everything, and to be well-pleasing, not talking back ." (Titus 2:9)

And therein lies the reason so many on the far right beg for their daily TRICKLE from their masters in the top 1% and support them in anything the masters seek to do, including acquiring more and more slaves.

I'm going to guess that 80%+ of the anti-homosexual movement are religious folks. I mean, the bible does state that it's blasphemy, and we should listen to the word of god:

"You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination."(Lev. 18:22)

However, I too can quote the bible!

"But if the thing is true, that the tokens of virginity were not found in the young woman, then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones..."(Deuteronomy 22:20-21)

I killed my stupid whore of a wife because she wasn't a virgin. Oh yea, and to anyone reading this that isn't white:

....hey, God said it. I just endorse it.

....(not really)

you are so misinformed. Slaves aren't only non-white[:/]

Warning this post was meant in jest not trying to pick apart your post.

Language that has a diverse and expanding vocabulary is generally a good thing. It is silly to pretend that a gay marriage is identical to a straight marriage - so why not express that in the language. That is not the same as discrimination.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

So, are you also pissed off that Charlie Sheen managed to single-handedly change the definition of "winning" in less than a week? :P

To the best of my knowledge, he's not trying to force any new word definition on anybody.

However, I don't read "People" magazine or watch TV, so I don't really know what he's up to.

Funny, I just came across several recent posts you've made about Charlie Sheen. I guess you get information about him from somewhere.

I killed my stupid whore of a wife because she wasn't a virgin.

You ain't from around here, are you?

You kill your bride if she IS a virgin.

"If she ain't good enough for her own family, she ain't good enough for ours."

Must be West-by-God-Virginia.
Where the men are men, the women are scarce, and the sheep are nervous.
Where they practice safe sex by tagging the sheep that kick.
Where the toothbrush was invented. (Had it been invented elsewhere it would be called a teethbrush)
:)
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

>They should.. but they do not have the same rights ESPECIALLY when it comes to
>the benefits bestowed by the state upon those who are "married".

Well, they do in some places; five states now allow it. California did for a while, and since there are now tens of thousands of legally married gay couples there (and no one has started marrying their cars) I suspect it will return here pretty quickly.

And Canada.

But here, we go beyond the state level now. For the last several years, me and my spouse have been allowed to file taxes just like a married or co-habitated couple -- at the FEDERAL LEVEL, here in Canada. This benefits us if one of us has a higher income than the other, and want to transfer tax credits to each other.

But here, we go beyond the state level now. For the last several years, me and my spouse have been allowed to file taxes just like a married or co-habitated couple -- at the FEDERAL LEVEL, here in Canada. This benefits us if one of us has a higher income than the other, and want to transfer tax credits to each other.

And how many straight marriages have fallen apart because you two have ruined that sacred institution?

I'm guessing none.

- Dan G

Hell, I'd like to change it so I can marry my boyfriend and my dog.

Damn, you're already taken? \=

Anyway, I'm sure Sweden will allow you to marry your dog any day now... So many people can't possibly be wrong about that domino effect.

Actually that's an interesting question. For those who do believe in the domino effect: For how long will Sweden (and Norway, Argentina, Belgium, etc.) have to not allow marriages between people and pets, or adults and kids, before we can bust the domino myth?

Hell, I'd like to change it so I can marry my boyfriend and my dog.

Damn, you're already taken? \=

Anyway, I'm sure Sweden will allow you to marry your dog any day now... So many people can't possibly be wrong about that domino effect.

Actually that's an interesting question. For those who do believe in the domino effect: For how long will Sweden (and Norway, Argentina, Belgium, etc.) have to not allow marriages between people and pets, or adults and kids, before we can bust the domino myth?

:D:D:D

Language that has a diverse and expanding vocabulary is generally a good thing. It is silly to pretend that a gay marriage is identical to a straight marriage - so why not express that in the language. That is not the same as discrimination.

I don't understand how these two types of marriage can not be identical. Please explain?
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I don't understand how these two types of marriage can not be identical. Please explain?

This may help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_humans
HAMMER:

>This may help.

That lists how men and women are different physically. You could point to a similar web page that shows how blacks and whites are different physically. And while this was once used as an argument to claim that blacks should not marry whites, today few people would claim that interracial marriages are different from same-race marriages.

A man and a woman in a relationship is not the same as two people of the same sex, purely based on the biology. The love, the commitment, the responsibilities are all the same.

Why is the word lesbian used for a female-female relationship and what is the equivalent word for a male-male relationship?

I know Bill has given an example of race but even in his example he adds detail "interracial marriage" to communicate detail.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I know Bill has given an example of race but even in his example he adds detail "interracial marriage" to communicate detail.

Yes, but for legal purposes, an "interracial marriage" is just considered a "marriage." Eventually, this will probably be true for same-sex marriage as well.

Yes, but for legal purposes, an "interracial marriage" is just considered a "marriage." Eventually, this will probably be true for same-sex marriage as well.

Remember I was talking about language and not law.

>How can one guy stick his dick up another guy's ass.

Same way a man and a woman do the same thing.

Not playing favorites here. I think a man who sticks his dick in a woman's ass is just as gross as when men stick their dicks in other men's asses. It's all gross. :ph34r:

Seriously?

So Beonce is on her hands and knees and says she wants you to take her in the ass and you say "no sorry, that is gross"

I call bullshit.
Onward and Upward!

A man and a woman in a relationship is not the same as two people of the same sex, purely based on the biology. The love, the commitment, the responsibilities are all the same.

Why is the word lesbian used for a female-female relationship and what is the equivalent word for a male-male relationship?

Yes, Bill did use a descriptor to prove a point. We use the same types of qualifiers to describe other ways in which one couple is different from another, or to illustrate a point for clarification -- May/December for example. Anna Nicole's infamous marriage is not identical to the upcoming royal marriage, for example (or even the previous several royal marriages if you need further examples within a subset).

And to answer your other question, from Wiki:

The word "lesbian" is derived from the name of the Greek island of Lesbos, home to the 6th-century BCE poet Sappho. From various ancient writings, historians have gathered that a group of young women were left in Sappho's charge for their instruction or cultural edification. Not much of Sappho's poetry remains, but that which does reflects the topics she wrote about: women's daily lives, their relationships, and rituals. She focused on the beauty of women and proclaimed her love for girls. Before the late 19th century, the word "Lesbian" referred to any derivative or aspect of Lesbos, including a type of wine.

Whereas "homosexual" literally means "same sex". Again from Wiki:

The adjective homosexual describes behavior, relationships, people, orientation, etc. The adjectival form literally means "same sex", being a hybrid formed from Greek homo- (a form of homos "same"), and "sexual" from Medieval Latin sexualis (from Classical Latin sexus).

From my perspective, straight guys like the idea of two women but are disgusted by two men, hence the "need" for a gender-specific word (purely my opinion on this one).

So, it all goes back to the original question (sort of). Why the need to keep a separate semantic label for this type of marriage, when all other labels have gone by the wayside?
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

>This may help.

That lists how men and women are different physically. You could point to a similar web page that shows how blacks and whites are different physically. And while this was once used as an argument to claim that blacks should not marry whites, today few people would claim that interracial marriages are different from same-race marriages.

You missed the entire point, Bill, which is that the physical differences make for a difference in the marriage. Nobody here stipulated what kind of difference. People only said there is no difference. Is there a physical difference? Absolutely. One would have to reject biology to argue otherwise. Is their an emotional difference? Only those who have been in both a heterosexual marriage and a gay marriage can say for certain.
HAMMER:

>You missed the entire point, Bill, which is that the physical differences
>make for a difference in the marriage.

That IS my point. For a long time it was thought that the physical differences between whites and blacks made such marriages both immoral and inadvisable from a medical perspective. It was simple genetics - blacks were less evolved than whites, and children result from marriage, so the scientific (of the time) conclusion was that there was a clear and compelling societal benefit in avoiding damaged, sub-white children.

>Nobody here stipulated what kind of difference. People only said there is
>no difference.

In that case, I misunderstood your original post; sorry. I agree with you - every marriage is different to some degree.